Gas Bandit Blocker

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of later models ~'98+ have a roll over valve and/or a screen that prevents siphoning. So this device would be unnecessary in a lot of late models, and is probably why you hear of thieves just cutting into the gas tank, that and maybe because of them being plastic a little easier to cut maybe.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, Oz converted to unleaded in 1987, when leaded cars had open,diesel style filler necks.

They never dropped the doors, and you can't buy leaded...maybe they don't want you filling from jerry cans ? Dunno ?

The fill nozzles are still narrow diameter and are more likely to come loose in a large diameter fill tube. My theory, anyway. I rememeber working in a Texaco station when I was a kid in the '80s and people driving older cars would sometimes ask for unleaded premium. We sometimes had to hook the bumber with the hose to put enough tension on the nozzle to prevent it from falling out.

agreed, but I haven't seen a pump with a locking handle in Oz for 25 plus years.

People can't be trusted with them in self serve.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Yeah, Oz converted to unleaded in 1987, when leaded cars had open,diesel style filler necks.

They never dropped the doors, and you can't buy leaded...maybe they don't want you filling from jerry cans ? Dunno ?

I don't know about jerry cans, but my wife found out the lawn mower / snow blower gas can spout fits fine in her van gas fill. She asked me once if I could add some gas to her van as she was very low and didn't think she could make it to her favorite gas station where she has some sort of "buy groceries get a gas discount" going, and I foolishly agreed. So every once in a while, she gets me to put my lawn mower / snow blower gas in the van... Then I have to go out and refill the gas can.
crazy.gif

(my apologies for the rant)
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve20
trap doors still there to prevent you from adding diesel to a gas car

What then stops people from adding gas to a diesel vehicle? Hmmmm....

All my trucks are diesel, and you would not guess how many times I have come out to the truck, and found a hose and can still there, with puke all over the ground!

Guess diesel tastes bad! ( No I don't have any experience with that!.LOL!)

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Originally Posted By: steve20
trap doors still there to prevent you from adding diesel to a gas car

What then stops people from adding gas to a diesel vehicle? Hmmmm....

Nothing...one of my workmates put $100 of petrol in his diesel LandCruiser, realised his error, got towed for $100, half an hour's labour to empty the tank, and $120 of diesel to refill.

I got a funny related story. This was around '82 or '83 and my dad's fairly new Chevy pickup had some minor issue and my uncle was visiting from out of state and took the pick up in to the dealer while my dad was at work. The mechanic asked him, "is that catalytic converter giving you trouble" (of course it wasn't in reality). My uncle said I guess so and paid him $20 to remove it.

Then we took that restrictor out of the filler nozzle to run leaded regular since there was no cataylist to contaminate (at the time those pick ups had computerized ignition advance but not 02 feedback unlike the cars). You could still buy regular in the 80's.

So a while later my mom filled up at a truck stop at night and I guess one of the kids accidentally put diesel in it, or maybe even the truck stop put diesel in the wrong tank but probably not and it was the missing restrictor allowing the diesel nozzle to fit. That thing was chugging and throwing a huge black smoke cloud like crazy lol. People at drive-ins were like what the heck is wrong with that thing. I think we just ran it through. The truck didn't run right and a mechanic replace the original Quadrajet with a Holley replacement.

This story probably sounds really bad and dumb today but people did dumb things like that all the time back then.

Man, that truck had a hard and short life of about 2 years. It was hit head on at the top of hill on a 2-lane highway by a drunk driver in a big '70's sedan and totaled. It was replaced with an new '84 GMC pickup and that truck ran for several years without problems before it was traded in.

years ago my friend ,working 2nd shift, came to the parking lot at the end of his shift, to find some people trying to get fuel out of his tank in the bed, of the truck. they didnt speak English. he finally got them calmed down, and told them he would give them some fuel. so he put in there car. then he got in his truck, and went down the road. half a mile later there car was sitting on the side of the road. diesel in a gas car.

I'm still amazed that '82 Chevy pick up managed to keep running albeit badly on diesel. My recollection was the tank was refilled all the way up on diesel. It had a 305 and a Quadrajet though. I'm not sure how well later models could tolerate diesel.

Originally Posted By: morris
years ago my friend ,working 2nd shift, came to the parking lot at the end of his shift, to find some people trying to get fuel out of his tank in the bed, of the truck. they didnt speak English. he finally got them calmed down, and told them he would give them some fuel. so he put in there car. then he got in his truck, and went down the road. half a mile later there car was sitting on the side of the road. diesel in a gas car.
GOOD!!
thumbsup2.gif

Ok well based on some other research I did, I decided to install these on both my vehicles. I read quite a few stories on GM truck forum about people having their 2010 and 2011 silverados an burbans siphoned so it would appear GM does not use this roll-over check valve people here told me of. I also tested this theory myself by sliding some clean fish tank hose down both of my vehicles filler holes and sure enough, both went in over 3 feet deep and the tube was wet with gas when it came out.
My truck doesn't have the trap door so the installation was a snap. My car does have a trap door flap and the gas bandit blocker does hold it up, out of the way like I though it would. It is holding it up so far you don't even see it so I am not really upset about it.
I have filled up both my vehicles a few times since and added my usual dose of TCW-3. The only thing I have noticed that may be negative is that the tcw3 likes to stick to the gas bandit blocker and cling there, which means less of it gets mixed into the gas if you add the TCw3 after you fuel up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back