Wheel Works tire shop problems with Michelin tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I hope one of you technical guys can help me figure out this problem. I purchased 4 Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires from Wheel Works- San Mateo, CA last year in November 2010. Changed out from my Bridgestone RE960 tires which were hydroplaning in the rain.

Immediately after install the new tires were shaking badly. Had it balanced 4 more times at the same shop in San Mateo and no luck. My steering wheel shakes at 65mph and up. They said its my wheel bearings. I said no because it did not shake before I got the new tires. Then they said they fixed it because their balancer was out of calibration because they had never calibrated it. Manager- Jeff said he never needed to in his 14 yrs in the business.

I took it to a different store and had them rebalance. Did not fix the shaking. Took it back to the same store I bought it from. They refused to changed the tires out for me. Kept insisting it was my car. They did a check using chalk on the tires and my rims for runout while it was spinning. Said it was a bad balance job. Re did it. They over torqued my rims on my Mercedes because the manager said it was alright to impact gun it in. I told the tech that I wanted it hand tightened. Jeff the manager told his tech to ignore the customer and to impact gun it on. I had to use a 6 foot pipe to break open the bolts.

I complained to Wheel Works headquarters in San Jose CA by sending them an email. No response. A month later I call them to leave message. No response. I call the customer complaint line printed on their receipt. The extension was a dead number. They pretty much ignore the customer if there is a problem.

I finally found out that Firestone owns them and call Firestone corporate office to complain about my tire problem and the way I was treated by Wheel Works Corporate office and the different managers at their stores. The rep called the District manager- Len right away and he said he was busy and couldnt do a a 3 way call at the moment. His Assistant District manager Brad will call me later. Brad calls me and asks me to go to Belmont CA store.

While there one of the techs takes my car out for a spin. He says there is shaking at high speed. They put my Mercedes 190E up on the rack and proceeded to pry with a bar. My suspension was tight. Tech even commented saying everything was new. They tried very hard to blame my car and couldnt find a problem. They even opened up my hood and tried to say it was my engine causing the shaking. New engine and engine mounts.

They take the tires off and dismount them. Turn them 180 degrees on the rim and inflate. I have never seen so many weights hung on my rims. 1 wheel has 3 weights on the side and 1 weight opposite of it and 1 weight on the inside of the tire. 5 weights!!!! This would be the 9TH balance so far. I bought the tires in November 2010 and its March 2011. Each tire has been rotated and moved to one of the four corners at least twice. They moved it front to back, back to front, side to side, and X cross pattern. Did not stop the shaking.

I asked for a refund or change to different tires and was ignored.

Today I had my wheel bearings changed out in the front end. A total of 4 for the front wheels. Still shakes at 65mph.

Any one have any ideas? I basically paid over $500 dollars for some useless name brand tires that I cannot drive on the highway with because it shakes. Is this stupid or what? After the way I was treated by Wheel Works....I would not recommend them to anyone. I also found out that they did not mount the tires high spot to the rims low spot in the beginning. Now that the dots indicating the high and low points have washed away...it makes it a [censored] shoot on guessing where it is. Now after complaining to corporate. No one wants to help.

So this is what I am stuck with. Angry and frustrated!

Last edited:
I think you should contact Michelin directly. I've never seen many weights on a first quality tire (especially a Michelin) and unless it was sold to you as a second or blem, I think Michelin will want to know about it. See if they will pay for you to go to another tire store and have them check it out.

If you have aftermarket aluminum wheels it might be part of the problem. I've seen some aluminum wheels that needed to be rebalanced almost weekly. Good luck!

Using a Hunter Road Force Balancer is the only way to solve your problem. America's Tire stores have them, though they do not always understand how to use it properly.

How does the rims look? I would have the dealer do an alignment and balance. I remember back I purchased a set of Bridgestone Revos from Wheel Works they couldn't get the alignment right. Took it to the dealer all was good.

First, I think you need to give up on the idea that Wheel Works or Firestone is going to be any help.

Call Michelin and tell them of your problem. Be short and distinct - unlike your post. Just say you had tires installed in Nov. They shook from day 1. You've been back to the shop many times, and it is now time to do something different. Suggest that you are going to America's Tire to use their Hunter GSP9700. Then see what happens. Don't expect Michelin to pick up the tab until you see what the results are. It's possible that there is another problem.

And just to be sure:

The problem is there pretty much all the time at 65, right? Turning the steering wheel has no affect. Accelerating doesn't have any affect. Lifting off the throttle has no effect. Taking the car out of gear and coasting has no effect. It doesn't happen only when you step on the brake.

If all those things are true, then you probakly have a tire and/or wheel problem - but you can't tell which until they do the Hunter thing.

Last edited:
I second/third the America's Tire suggestion, though not certain a road force balance is a necessity. Take it by, explain your issue and let them look at the tires/rims and check the balance. See which type of balance they recommend.

Quite frankly, it sounds as though you have been shined on by WW.

fwiw, put a set of Primacy MXV4's from Disc. Tire on a 3.0L Accord about the same time as you and have been very satisfied, nice smooth riding tire.

Imo, you need a second opinion outside of WW, and AT would be a good place to start.

Wow - Sorry to hear about your problems. I have purchased many sets of Michelin tires, never had a problem, but obviously it sounds like you have a bad set.

I don't think balance is the problem. You can balance a square block but it won't roll smoothly. I think the tires are out of round.

"Using a Hunter Road Force Balancer is the only way to solve your problem."

This indeed is the only way. You should also demand ANOTHER shop to reset the machine after EACH wheel.

I would also initiate a charge back through your credit card. Keep it simple as the other poster said. Bought new tires that are defective and they refuse to honor the warranty.

This is why I like having you guys watch my back. Charge back? I never thought of that. Just called Michelin this morning at 8am. Rep was surprised they were not contacted by Wheel Works after 9 balances. They suggested I go to Discount Tires/America's Tires. I called them. They said come in and they will check it on their Roadforce machine free of charge in Redwood City,CA. They said rims look true and brakes and everything else looks great as they are new. They said Wheel Works balanced the tires wrong as it is their company policy to not mount weights counter each other on the same side. They also said WWorks did not use the correct weights. Some tires had no weights on. The tires with weights on were spun and the RF machine said the weight was too heavy. Basically it looks like a bunch of clowns worked on my car.

This was my 10th balance today. I took it on the freeway and the shake decreased but it is still there. Went back to Discount and they said they will replace them for me. I needed a receipt which I had at home. Will be back later as its a 35 min drive back. They said to choose another Michelin tire and they recommend the Pilot Exaltos A/S.

Will keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
They had weights 180* out of each other on the same side?

Yes they did. On the same side 180 degrees around the rim.

They called Michelin and warrantied the tires for me. Michelin gave me 100% value of the Primacys. Even exchange for Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Really smooth tires like others have mentioned above.

So with my 10th tire balance I got a new set of tires from America's Tire shop where as Wheel Works could have taken care of it for me, but instead they chose to jerk the customer off.

I did not even buy the tires from America's Tire and they still took care of me with the warranty. I just had to pay for labor $71 bucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
They had weights 180* out of each other on the same side?

Yes they did. On the same side 180 degrees around the rim.

They called Michelin and warrantied the tires for me. Michelin gave me 100% value of the Primacys. Even exchange for Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Really smooth tires like others have mentioned above.

So with my 10th tire balance I got a new set of tires from America's Tire shop where as Wheel Works could have taken care of it for me, but instead they chose to jerk the customer off.

I did not even buy the tires from America's Tire and they still took care of me with the warranty. I just had to pay for labor $71 bucks.

That is retarded. That means they put too much weight on one side so it called for weight again 180 out. Should be a fairly simple deduction for most people. @_@

While I know paying $71 just to get this ordeal over with seems a bargain, I would contact Michelin again and explain the situation and remedy and ask for the $71. If it is only labor, you did pay for it up front and there should be a reimbursement for it.

Congrats and have a great weekend!

I think I will do that on Monday Rob. Thanks. What a nightmare!!!!

Dont shop Wheel Works...aka Howard Tires....aka Just Tires....aka Firestone. They are all the same company.

I had good experience with America's Tire (and their online discount tire direct), their regular price is not low but they do match price even with any online tire. No reason to go to Wheel Works, Just Tires or Firestone.

Quote:
....They said come in and they will check it on their Roadforce machine free of charge in Redwood City,CA.....Went back to Discount and they said they will replace them for me.......
If there's a better place to buy tires than DT/AT, I haven't found it. I know they work closely with Michelin as they called them when my son got a nail in a non repairable part of a OE BFG Rugged Trail, got him a reasonable adjusted price on a new tire. And even if I had to pay more, the service after the sale has been unmatched IME with any retail purchase. But, they've also beaten any price I've been able to find prior to purchase.

As for the $71, as suggested I suppose you could try to get it from Michelin, but imo, WW should be on the hook for those charges. Good luck with that. That said, considering all DT/AT has done here, the charge seems reasonable.

Hope the Exalto's or whichever Mich's you choose, solve your issue this time.

I've also had very good results from Discount Tire/America's Tire. Pick out the tires you want and ask them how cheaply they can sell them to you. After you've agreed to the deal, while they're doing the paperwork, decline the extra cost warranty if you choose...I always do (I've had two tires fail in 50 years of driving).

One thing...there may be only one person at DT trained and skilled in running the Road Force Balancer. If you suspect a problem, ask who that is and what day & time they'll be working so you can get them on your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back