Henry Big Boy 357

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Soon" gonna buy a Henry Big Boy 357/38S.
grin2.gif
(to add to my AR-15 .223 and Hi-Point carbine 40 S&W collection)

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm

This may sound retarded, but I thought Henry was made overseas. Not that I'm one of those with a big problem with that, but I do try to show deference to domestic goods. Next time I see them, I'll have to give them a closer look.

In these rough times for shooters it doesnt seem like the best idea to own a rifle that shoots the most expensive pistol rounds out there.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
In these rough times for shooters it doesnt seem like the best idea to own a rifle that shoots the most expensive pistol rounds out there.

Looking at in another way, 357 mag, 44 mag are cheaper than most all rifle rounds. I have a nice stash of both and specials of both and with appropriate shopping and scrounging, 357/38 certainly aren't budget busters. 44 is more of course, but that is not a caliber you plink out 50 rounds in 10 minutes - it's a low cost rifle round
grin2.gif

NICE GUN BTW!!!

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
This may sound retarded, but I thought Henry was made overseas. Not that I'm one of those with a big problem with that, but I do try to show deference to domestic goods. Next time I see them, I'll have to give them a closer look.

I'm thinking these are USA made. Are you sure?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: yaris0128

Looking at in another way, 357 mag, 44 mag are cheaper than most all rifle rounds. I have a nice stash of both and specials of both and with appropriate shopping and scrounging, 357/38 certainly aren't budget busters. 44 is more of course, but that is not a caliber you plink out 50 rounds in 10 minutes - it's a low cost rifle round
grin2.gif

NICE GUN BTW!!!

In some cases ya. But if your shooting .223 or 7.62x39 its a lot less expensive as those rounds.

Sure, but a) at some point it's just the volume of lead, copper and brass and b) those aren't available as lever guns.
Oh well, just saying. Wouldnt exactly want a lever gun myself...

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

I'm thinking these are USA made. Are you sure?

Yes, they are. I had thought they were Chinese made, actually. My original post was expressing surprise that they were domestic made. http://www.henryrepeating.com/ The page has the president holding his hand on the bible with the caption "Henry rifles will be made in America, or they won't be made at all."

I can respect that.

Gents,

This rifle also shoots 38 Special. Pricing is about the same as 9mm, around 15 to 20 bucks for a box of 50 (target ammo).

I also never had an interest in lever action rifles until recently. I guess my interest in revolvers and carbine rifles merged a bit
wink.gif

I just got my Marlin 1894C in .357 magnum. As Pablo said, it is a cheap rifle round. I got it as my SHTF or "Cowboy Assault Rifle", and I already have a Ruger revolver that shoots it. I passed on the Henry for three reasons.
1. Cost (700+ vs. 597)
2. Weight (8.5 lb. vs.7 lb.)
3. Brass receiver. (Handsome, but I polished enough brass in the Army)
On balance, it IS a handsome gun, by all accounts well made. I hope you enjoy shooting it.

The .357 magnum in a carbine makes a nice deer rifle if used at reasonable distance. Factory loads and handloads with slow burning pistol powders really make good use of the extra foot or so of barrel. In a handgun, the slow burning powder mostly results in lots of muzzle flash and blast and recoil.

.38 specials with round nose lead bullets make good varmint and small game rounds. Small powder charges in .38's don't provide performance improvements anything near what the 357 does in a carbine. The .357 really shines in a carbine with 16-18 inches of barrel.

When you take into account the fun factor, economics of using 38/357 and the performance improvement, a nice carbine makes a lot of sense.

Oh my goodness. Had a blast shooting this and my AR-15 today. Musta gone through 100 rounds of 38 special and 357 combined. Those plastic bottles had NO chance at 50 feet
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Many thanks, I'm glad somebody is protecting us from dem bad ol' plastic bottles!
grin.gif

I hope you continue to enjoy your new rifle.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! I may end up getting the .44 and .45, maybe 30-30 versions too.
grin2.gif
(your tax dollars at work since I'm paid by the Feds)
lol.gif

I was just shooting a Marlin stainless .357 lever action carbine this Sunday. It was a hoot!

The owner did warn me that .38 Spcl. are reported to cause gas cutting in the chamber. He loads .357 brass to .38 Spcl. velocity and is fine with it. Neat handy little gun.

Almost makes me want one. But since I already have a pistol - carbine combo that use the same ammo (Sig P226 and Uzi SBR) I'll just have to wait.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back