KELLY Explorer Plus tires : anyone have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
FWIW, the April issue of Consumers Reports ranks the Continental ProContact EcoPlus as being the 2nd best all-season tire in the S and T speed rating category.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
FWIW, the April issue of Consumers Reports ranks the Continental ProContact EcoPlus as being the 2nd best all-season tire in the S and T speed rating category.
Thanks , we have that issue . The Explorer Plus are a little cheaper . Here's some reviews I found for them , http://reviews.tirebuyer.com/3433/42517/reviews.htm . Seem to be a good value .

That isn't what I'd call an agressive design. It seems to be a tire designed for ride comfort, low noise, and all season useage. Sorry I have no personal experience with them, but if those traits have any importance to you then by looks I think you'll like 'em.

I also wouldn't put too much weight into any consumer report article. There are many outlets nowaday to read personal, unbiased reviews to yor heart's content. Start with tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com and go from there.

Unbiased, free reviews are everywhere. A consumer's dream!

We plan to take a look at both tires in person before a decision is made .

Last edited:
I used to sell( through the dealer )and personally use Kelly tires a lot back in the 90's. Haven't for a while though. They used to be a very good brand that was not well known.

I put Kelly Platinums on my moms Grand Marquis. The set that sshe was been using now have over 50,000 miles on them and they still look like they have 10,000 miles left!

Great tire. Even with the RWD, there great in the snow aswell.

Looks like we're going with the Eco Plus at about $90 each for the 185/60-15 . There's only a $7 difference between them and the Explorer Plus at $82 each . Was told that a price increase is likely on all tires sometime in April .

Last edited:
Kelly Springfield was bought by Goodyear in 1935, but operated as an independent wholly owned subsidiary until the '90s (1991?). At that time it was absorbed into Goodyear and the headquarters moved to GY headquarters in Akron.

These days, isn't Kelly just a lower cost line for GY...low advertising expense, line available to independent shops, many private labels made in Kelly factories. I don't know how the Kelly quality compares to GY quality for apparently equivalent tires.

I ran Kelly tires on my old Thunderbird, usually the old charger series. They were all around mediocre. Not amazing, not [censored], not long lasting, but value priced.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Kelly Springfield was bought by Goodyear in 1935, but operated as an independent wholly owned subsidiary until the '90s (1991?). At that time it was absorbed into Goodyear and the headquarters moved to GY headquarters in Akron.

These days, isn't Kelly just a lower cost line for GY...low advertising expense, line available to independent shops, many private labels made in Kelly factories. I don't know how the Kelly quality compares to GY quality for apparently equivalent tires.

At least when I used/sold them( 90-95 +/- )they were very good tires even if owned by GY ultimately. There was nothing comparable that I ever saw between the Kelly's I sold and used and what was offere from GY? I do not know the current situation.

Last edited:
Got the ECO PLUS at $89.91 ( w/o tax ) . Hope to have them on the car by mid April or sooner . Weather permitting
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Have you looked at any Cooper CS-4s.

I've got them on my Buick and love them. 80k mi. Wear like iron but still plenty of grip in wet and snow. Ride comfort is good as well as handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back