RX-300 Tranny Slipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: unDummy
It skipped once. Then it'll skip again in a few months. Then it'll skip again in a few weeks. Then it'll skip again in a few days. Then it'll skip again in a few hours.... and then you need a rebuild. If it repeats, I recommend that you trade it in!

Unfortunately, that was a the situation I had with a 1996 Dodge Intrepid. The first time I was on a turn lane yield rolling slowly and I thought someone had rear ended me. Thought to myself, what was that and it must have been a fluke. Weeks later same thing happened again. A few weeks later was pulling up to a stoplight and it turn green while I was going 25 MPH hit the gas and went into limp mode.

But you have only so many options and worse case you unload it and probably lose thousands in value or you end up down the road spending thousands for a tranny. Best case it was a fluke.

You'll probably have a good idea if it happens again in a few weeks or a month. I'd change out the fluid and filter and check the pan for any debris.

wiswind,
Thank you and nice picture. I am very familier with RA's web site as I order there all the time. Good information.

rslifkin,
I know the NAPA store that you mention as my Dad's station was not far from there. I also know the area as I also grew up in the 50's, 60's near the area. Hate traveling there these days. Kinda looks like Detroit! The building across the way from the NAPA but, just down the street is the old DELCO factory that was bought out so many times, I don't even know what's in there these days. I think, VALEO?
Rochester was once a booming industry town. KODAK, XEROX, Boush & Lomb, French's Mustard, Ragu(closed but,also on Lyell Ave), Taylor Instrument, Delco, Rochester Products(Carbs & fuel systems), Sybron, Gerber Foods, Johnson&Johnson and too many to list. Many of those companys started here and still have their home head quarters here.

undummy,
Indeed, I will be attending to the tranny soon as mentioned and will install additional filtration. This could be the savior of the tranny if there is anything wrong.

The RX does have a seperate tranny cooler in the front passenger wheel well area. I want to give the cooler a good inspection as I mentioned in my last reply and if it's in need of full replacement, I'll order a better one if available.

This RX sees mostly short trips as also mentioned and never any towing/hauling...Just people!

Yeah, I know that feeling the fluid between the fingers tells nothing but, I think it's something that we've all done at one time or another even with oil.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

This RX sees mostly short trips as also mentioned and never any towing/hauling...Just people!

That's your problem. Short trips and low-speed driving results in lots of shifting, which likely results in more wear than the typical commuter car.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

That's your problem. Short trips and low-speed driving results in lots of shifting, which likely results in more wear than the typical commuter car.

Well, I would say that it's part of the problem but, not the single reason that the tranny "might" fail. The other issue is, plain and simple...Toyota just didn't build it right from the beginging. I can't tell anyone what Toyota did or didn't do inside the tranny that maybe they should have. But, for a Lexus, the trannys fail too often...Shame on them!

I have had other/lesser vehicles in the past that saw similar duties for 16yrs/130K-140K without any ATF changes and never skipped a beat.

This RX tranny has seen at least D&F every 12-18 months. Thats 6000-9000 mile OCI's on the tranny. Are you kidding me? Few people change their ATF that much!
frown.gif

I'll be dropping the pan soon as I mentioned many times above. I'll keep eveyone posted on the rusults. I'll describe the inside of the pan/magnet/filter and what I see. I'll be very descriptive but won't be taking any pictures. Your imagination will have to be your view...Like reading a good book!

And yes my friend(Critic), I agree that the best type of driving is the driving that I used to do...Longer distance driving! I had almost no problems with vehicles when I put on 20K-25K/year and in excess of 300K on some. I have slowed down some these days. Hope to retire soon(2-3 yrs)
smile.gif

The tranny in the rx is known to be prone to failure from the year 99 to early 2000, after that Lexus/Toyota made changes to the transmission which greatly lowered the risk of failure. But, like any car out there some tranny's just fail.

My uncle has a 99' rx300 awd with over 325k miles on the original tranny and no problems. I have a 00' rx300 awd with 160k miles on the original tranny and no problems either.

Driving habits can also cause failure. One common reason of failure we see on Club Lexus is when people switch into drive while the car is still in reverse and moving backwards. This causes damage to the gears, which overtime can lead to transmission failure.

The RX300 has a transmission fluid cooler in the passenger side fender, right behind the washer fluid container.

To the OP: I suggest you drop the pan, and change the filter. Go back to Toyota Type-IV, that's what the vehicle was spec'd for so stick with it.

As I stated...Will Do!

The slip hasn't happened since the first and can't duplicate it at all. I too have been using Castrol IMV ATF(this last D&F) and if you read some of my reply in this post, I have changed it often(using T-IV)and the car is driven easy even though most driving is short trips. Still get on the highway often enough.

I suggest doing a drain and fill with disconnecting the cooler hoses, this way you'll get the most atf out while doing it safely (ie. not a flush).

We have a DIY on this over at Club Lexus. I can send you a link if need be, I'm not sure if i can post links here or if it's against the site rules.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I suggest doing a drain and fill with disconnecting the cooler hoses, this way you'll get the most atf out while doing it safely (ie. not a flush).

We have a DIY on this over at Club Lexus. I can send you a link if need be, I'm not sure if i can post links here or if it's against the site rules.

Thank you,
I visit ClubLexus(not a member) on occassion so I am familier with the site but not the particular post. I have had issues in the past trying to join and set up an account w/login name & password. IDKY, this was quite some time ago. I may try again.

I mentioned previously that I need to inspect the tranny cooler as the last time I was able to get a view of it, I wasn't thrilled with what I saw(RUST) so, I may also want to replace the cooler as well maybe even with something better if available.

I don't think(but I'm not sure either)it's against the BITOG rules to send a link to a site but, you can PM the link to me and I would appreciate it very much.

I'm waiting for the real Spring to show up as the temps here are still cold and we're expecting more rian/wet snow again. Maybe we'll just go right into Summer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back