test E10

Status
Not open for further replies.
my state does not require the station to post E10. so could i test for E10 with my hydrometer i use for my nitro engines? and what S.G. should i look for? thanks

Here is how you can easily determine alcohol content by yourself: You will need a 10cc graduated cylinder with 0.1 cc graduations. Fill the graduate with one cc of water. Add about 7 cc of the gasoline, noting precisely the amount added. Vigorously shake the graduate of gas and water and let the contents settle. The water will settle to the bottom, in a layer distinct from the gasoline, but it will have combined with any alcohol present in the sample. The volume of that bottom layer in excess of the original 1 cc of water is the amount of alcohol that was in the measured amount of gasoline that you added to the cylinder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110604160719&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Originally Posted By: willix
The flanso method may be a one way to remove alcohol from gasoline on a larger scale.

This is correct. And the method flaso mentiones in quick and accurate, and can be done at the station.

Originally Posted By: willix
The flanso method may be a one way to remove alcohol from gasoline on a larger scale.

How so? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm really asking.

No need for a graduated cylinder so long as you only want to test the presence of ethanol and not the actual percent. Put a small amount of water in a bottle and note the line it comes up to. Add some gasoline and shake. If the water line goes up then there's ethanol present. Dispose in any intake manifold.

Water is a poor way to extract ethanol from gasoline. Removing the ethanol from 87 turns it into subgrade 84. To fix that you need to start with 90 which costs more. No matter how well you extract a small amount of ethanol and water stays in solution. I found the efficiency of the E0.5 fuel wasn't better than the original E10 and has now lost 10% of it's volume. Then there's the problem of having jugs of ethanol water that smells like fuel. The only safe thing to do with that is to burn it.

Originally Posted By: 190E26FTW
Probably cheaper to just ask the gas station that you fill up at.
It's likely they won't even know. the guy inside at the counter is likely hired by some dude 3000 miles away who doesn't know what kind of fuel is in their tanks :p

just sayin
smile.gif

I have seen the ethanol test kits though....there was a site that sold them but can't recall the site, just google it I'm sure you'll find it.

Originally Posted By: flanso
Here is how you can easily determine alcohol content by yourself: You will need a 10cc graduated cylinder with 0.1 cc graduations. Fill the graduate with one cc of water. Add about 7 cc of the gasoline, noting precisely the amount added. Vigorously shake the graduate of gas and water and let the contents settle. The water will settle to the bottom, in a layer distinct from the gasoline, but it will have combined with any alcohol present in the sample. The volume of that bottom layer in excess of the original 1 cc of water is the amount of alcohol that was in the measured amount of gasoline that you added to the cylinder.

Thanks! That can be done on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back