2011 Chevy Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the 2011 2.4 Ecotech 4 cyl. require the new Dexos 1 oil? The oil filler cap says 5w-30 with no further info. The sales team did not know either. The 2011 Cruze 1.8 4cyl. is Dexos 1.

No
56.gif

Yes, it is required or your warranty could be voided if there is an oil related failure. I work at a GM dealership. Just had training on this. Pennz Plat and QSUD(?), I think, meet or exceed dexos1 specifications.

Accordiing to GM your car and all new 2011 GM gasoline powered vehicles should use dexos1 oil.
I don't think the motor in your car is any different from the 2008-2010 Malibu Ecotecs which did just fine on regular SM dino.
My new 2011 Cruze has a new 1.4 turbo motor and it is probably a good idea to use dexos1 or at least a full synthetic inorder to protect the turbo (and the warranty).

Read the owners manual. Dexos is a easy spec to make, all synthetic oils will pass that, at least name brand ones.
Many, maybe all, name brand 'blends' will pass that spec as well.

The new DI engines are hard on oil. Fuel dilution is back.
Hence the spec for better oil.

My manual says something to the effect that IF Dexos oil is not readily available, a good quality conventional 5W-30 can be used.

I use synthetic in everything from the lawn mower up, so I ignore what GM says in reference to oil.

Thanks for the input. I have several "free oil change" coupons from the sales staff. I did not want a repeat of what happened to my dad with a then new 94 blazer. He had the oil changed at the dealership. Back then the new thing was 5w-30 energy saving motor oil. They did not have the 5w-30 so they used 10w-30 instead. Told him it would be fine and most likely it was ok. However, this is a little different. I want the wife to hold their feet to the fire to use the proper oil. When we are done with the freebies the car will see Amsoil from then on.
This is a cannister (cartridge style) filter. Any recommendations on oil filters for this application? I have not seen this on a GM product since we had a 69 chevy pu.

make sure they put in the mobil one and not bulk oil at stealership but of course if you are buying put in the supertech haha which would be ok anyways

I have completed my first oil change for the Malibu(1960 miles). I used the Purolator Pure 1 filter(cartridge type) and Amsoil OE 5w-30. The entire procedure was unremarkable. The cannister change out was neat with no spills. I used the Lysle socket for the cannister removal,worked great, put the channel locks back in the tool box. The drain plug did not have a magnet. I would have thought a 2011 would have a magnet.

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
I would have thought a 2011 would have a magnet.

Why? A magnet would have added a few pennies to the production cost of the vehicle. Seems a lot of mfgs are leaving even more important items out, like tranny dipsticks.

Good luck with the new ride! Enjoy! Next OC get a magnetic drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back