Any other scooter owners here? servicing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased an 05 Vino 125 to save on the price of fuel for the e30. Picked it up with 10k miles and new rear tire and battery for 1k also with a helmet.

Anyone have advice on where to get the service manual for this? I'm confortable with oil changes, tune ups and valve adjustments on the bmw, so I think the Vino should be comparable (if not MUCH easier to service). Also, any forums that are more popular?

Currently the fuel economy (96 mpg's over the 17 city mpg's of my e30) has got me giddy. Not to mention the cheap cost of $4 to fill from nearly empty using regular fuel.

thanks in advance

I rode my a scooter my brother had in high school. It was real fun, but just be careful out there. What about the MFGr?
I found it odd that Amsoil put out a scooter oil awhile back. I thought the scooter market was minuscule, but maybe not?

Just curious, do you ride it to work? How long is your commute and what type of roads?

I tried it last year out here, and it was not a pleasant experience... kind of scary with so many other vehicles around you, half of them not paying attention because they're busy talking on their phones, texting, reading newspapers, and whatever else.

I typically only ride on weekends now, early in the morning, in a direction that takes me away from the city.

I ride mainly in the congested downtown areas of Vancouver. It's not too bad esp. since most drivers cannot get over 40kph in this area due to the amount of pedestrians. Thsi is why I got the scooter...there's so much time spend idling in traffic, that running the bmw was just silly expensive.

After recently checking over the front and rear brakes as well as the reciepts from the last services are, I think I got a pretty good deal. It really doesn't need any servicing, and is a hoot to drive on the winding roads.

Since the engine is over twice the size of the 50cc scooters, and Im relatively ligh in weight (148lbs), I can easily keep up and pass cars.

Honeslty tho, I'm kinda wishing I bought a motorbike...they just look so much cooler than a scooter (I mean sure mine was a steal, and it looks pretty nifty with the retro italian looks) I still kinda wish I had a motorbike sometimes....oh well, I'll enjoy this while I have it for now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller

Honeslty tho, I'm kinda wishing I bought a motorbike...

I was initially planning to get a scooter, too. Then came here for advice and folks convinced me that I should get a motorcycle instead. And I'm glad that I listened. I would have gotten bored of a scooter in no time. But I do know that they are really good for certain applications, such as yours - congested city with slow moving traffic.

I own seven motorcycles. Big ones and little ones. The smallest is a 1972 200cc Yamaha RD200. It's small, quick and fairly fast (top speed 85 mph) stock. Light weight, great handling and easy on fuel. The downside is that you can't do a lot with it other than ride unless you install some sort of rack on it to carry something.

That's where a scooter has it all over motorcycles. They're a great utilitarian device. Lots of storage, better weather protection, great mileage, good handling, light, small, and efficient. If you need to pick up some groceries, a couple bottles of wine or reasonable sized packages, the under seat storage of the scooter can handle it. Even if the package is heavy, it won't matter. With the load down low, you won't even know it's there.

I ride a Kawasaki KLR650 and often take it the 60 miles combined paved and gravel roads to get to camp. I've got panniers on the side and a rack on the back for hauling stuff but once the weight accumulates, it can be felt in handling. That combined with being an exceptionally tall bike, weighing 400 lbs. unloaded does not make for pleasant city riding.

I'd take a 250cc or larger scooter for in town activity over a motorcycle any day.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I
That's where a scooter has it all over motorcycles. They're a great utilitarian device. Lots of storage, better weather protection, great mileage, good handling, light, small, and efficient. If you need to pick up some groceries, a couple bottles of wine or reasonable sized packages, the under seat storage of the scooter can handle it. Even if the package is heavy, it won't matter. With the load down low, you won't even know it's there.

Qouted for truth and reasons for purchasing it...amen brother
smile.gif

My uncle has a 2009 (?) Yamaha Majesty 400. His previous bike was a '96 BMW R1100RT. He lives near Seattle and was what I'd call an occasional rider - you know, on the weekends, short, overnight road trips with my aunt, and short runs into the city. Before retirement, he'd ride the 25 miles or so to work on a Friday here in there.

A few years ago, he's knees started to give out and he had a hard time handling the BMW (he's also a shorter guy and BMWs are notoriously tall in the seat). He had a pretty big scare one day on Orcas Island...with my aunt aboard, they found themselves going down a gravel road and he wanted to turn around. The big bike, with my aunt aboard was just too much to handle. He sold it and bought the Majesty and he's ridden more in the past few years than he ever did on the BMW. Keep in mind, he's had bikes for over 50 years.

He rides the scooter on road trips. He takes it to the market every day. He loans it to my wife and I when we visit. He rides everywhere!

When he bought it, he also bought the factory service manual and I service it for him on our visits throughout the year. It's an easy bike to work on...so far, it's only needed oil and filter changes and a few air filters (one is for the CVT and the other for the engine) and basic inspections. He's added heated grips and an accessory plug to run his heated jacket. It's a really cool commuter and it is even comfortable on touring rides.

I'd say it is easier to work on than a car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back