Difference between liquid gasket and....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part yes they are all similar if they are RTV based.
I suppose there could be some silicone sealer than is not RTV
(room temperature vulcanizing) but i cant remember ever seeing any that wasn't a grease or spray.

There are many types and grades of RTV so its important to get the right one for the job.
Most modern formulas are O2 sensor safe but it doesn't hurt to check the label or packaging,if it does not say O2 safe don't assume it is.
Non O2 safe Silicone will wipe O2 sensors out quickly,these are sometimes found in warehouse and dollar type stores and are generally off brands.

When in doubt go to the dealer,Honda as one example uses a special RTV for oil pans.
Their Honda Bond is almost the same price as Permatex but is guaranteed to work properly on this application.

Last edited:
Liquid Gasket is what people call most of the gasket compounds. Kind of like coke, soft drink, soda all refer to pop. I think it is also a brand name.

Silicone Sealant refers to the primary compound. Most of this stuff has silicone as the primary compound.

And if you are bonding electronics, don't use sensor safe but instead use mg rtv 162.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was looking for a sealant for themostat and water pump housing, and it it appears most RTV silicone sealants are fine.

There is RTV silicone gasket maker and there are gasket sealants that help a gasket stick in place and help it seal. I'm not sure what you are working on but I would not use RTV to seal cooling system parts, silicone sealer is better at resisting oil than coolant, so it is best for engine end seals, valve covers, differential covers. Silicone sealer may possibly get lodged in the thermostat. Unless directed different in a service manual, I would use paper gaskets for t-stat and water pump housings. They work good. You could use a gasket sealer with the gasket but I usually don't. you can use RTV for waterpump and t-stat housings but i think the gray gasket maker is more suitable, there is also one specifically for that, and there's also anerobic gasket makers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Why not just by a new thermostat/gasket? I too wouldn't use RTV sealant at the location in question.

I'll second the motion to use a gasket instead of rtv or any sealant,gaskets just simply work better.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Thermostat housings pose no particular problem.
Almost any RTV will work.

If the gasket for the thermostat is in place and some leaking is occurring, okay I can see using some sealant around the mounting surfaces. Otherwise, does his car's thermostat not come with a replacement gasket?

What is this about the waterpump housing too, is this one timing belt driven or what?

The vehicle is a 1994 Nissan Quest van, and neither the thermostat housing or the water pump come with a gasket. The factory service manual advises to use "genuine liquid gasket or equivalent."

As for the water pump, it is belt driven. Earlier, i wrongly stated that it has a "housing." It doesn't; the water pump is a stand alone part.

The thermostat housing is above the water pump.

Timingbeltcoveragainstthethermostathousing2.jpg

Guys, both the thermostat housing and the water pump appear to be well mated to the cylinder block due to the gasket material used previously. I haven't been able to pull them off despite some shaking after removing the bolts.

What do you suggest? Heat the edges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back