Motorcraft 5W-20 results from Ford V-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Well it looks good. The Silicon is high. It well may be the non abrasive type from gaskets/sealants. I would carefully check around the filter box and the duct between the filter and manifold and also for vacuum leaks. Your Iron is a little elevated but not really bad. I assume the vehicle has very low milage How many miles??

Your viscosity of 53 is good. (Should be 44.5 to 57). Your insolubles are a little on the gigh side. This can be the result of incomplete combustion.

I would guess your numbers -especially iron will get better as you go. Aluminum, copper, lead, chromium , nickel, etc all excellent. All in all- a good report.

Thanks for sharing
welcome.gif

Thank you for that information Al. I will check the items that you recommended. The total vehicle miles as of sample date were 14,109.

As stated, the silcon looks a little high, but doesn't seem to be dirt based on Aluminum numbers. Probably still gaskets leaching in this motor.

Otherwise all the other numbers look good. Oil sheared slightly, but is still well within grade and held much better than most 5w30 and 10w30 reports we have been seeing.

I wouldn't hesitate to try 4000 miles based on these results.

This is my thing but is this truck a stick or an automatic? I wonder about the difference between the loading of the berings.

I have been using the recommended 5W-20 weight motor oil for my 2002 Ford super duty with a V-10. I use the Motorcraft semi-synthetic formula purchased from Wal-Mart. I (like others on this board) have been watching with interest to see how well this weight oil performs. So far, from what I can tell the results look very encouraging. Most of my driving is 8-9 miles to work with occassional towing on weekends. I have been changing my oil when it reaches the 3,000 mile mark. This sample had a total of 2,971 miles on it. Approximately 500 miles was towing a 6,000 Lb. trailer, 400 highway/freeway miles and the rest short around town driving. Temps were generally low 50's to mid 80's. I did change the air filter out about 1,000 miles prior to draining this oil. My question to the experts here is this. How do these numbers look and can I safely extend the drain interval another 1,000 miles? The results from Blackstone Labs are as follows:

Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 1
Iron: 19
Copper: 5
Lead: 0
Tin: 0
Moly: 3
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 3
Silicon: 35
Sodium: 2
Calcium: 2525
Magnesium: 13
Phosphorus:849
Zinc: 1065
Barium: 0
SUS Vis @210F: 53.0
Flashpoint: 395 degrees F
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubales %: 0.5

Iron is just a touch higher than it should be on a fairly short interval ... especially whe compared to those other two.

How married are you to this brand of oil? I'd try one of the other 5W20s like Pennzoil (which is also a "semi-synthetic" of sorts). The Motorcraft oil (currently) has little or no boron, little or no moly. What's the deal?
confused.gif

Perhaps a good dose of moly will help bring that iron down?
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
Nice report, V10triton. If you haven't done so already, see mscales two reports using the same oil and same engine for comparison:
Report 1
Report 2

Thank you for those links. The mileage and driving is close to what I do with the exception of the sub-zero starts. The silicone was somewhat elevated for mscales first report and then dropped on the second report. That is encouraging. I will definately keep an eye on the iron level to see if drops.

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
" How married are you to this brand of oil? I'd try one of the other 5W20s like Pennzoil (which is also a "semi-synthetic" of sorts). The Motorcraft oil (currently) has little or no boron, little or no moly. What's the deal?
Perhaps a good dose of moly will help bring that iron down?"

I have heard very good things about Chevron Oil and was wondering what the consensus was on the Chevron 5W-20???

Thank you for all you input. It is greatly appreciated!

As far as the Chevron 5w20 goes, its a mystery oil on the board - nobody has seen or used it yet. Based on other Chevron reports, it should be good, but the formulation on the 5w20s for most brands is different than the other oils in the same series to meet the ford specs. I am running the Texaco Havoline 5w20, which based on product data sheets should be the same oil.

Honestly, the reports on your engine and the other V10 are so simialar that even the iron difference is close to being explained away in the marigins of error.

I don't understand why not having moly is such a bad thing. Yes, moly can be a good thing, but when an oil performs fine without it, isn't that all that matters? The motorcraft 5w20 has proven itself over and over to work well, yet it has no moly. Why should it, when it works fine without?

MNGopher, I agreed with the first part of your post ... Chevron 5W20 (if you can find it) should be a fantastic oil, maybe as good as any 5W20. These oils seem to be specially formulated and are not merely a 5W30 with a little less viscosity index improver. I'd also be interested to see if they loaded up on the moly like some others did.

As for the second half of your post, if there's a good chance for better protection by using an extremely effective barrier anti-wear additive like moly, why not give it a whirl?
dunno.gif

That's really all I was saying. V10triton's results looked good, but there's almost always room for improvement.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Ahh - I see - the infamous holy grail!
bowdown.gif

I agree that it would be interesting to see how another oil does here compared to the motorcraft, which seems to be holding its own quite well! Always room for improvement!

I'm about 2000 miles into my tests of Havoline 5w20 and Motorcraft 5w20 in my F150's. So far, no problems to date...
cheers.gif

I know how some of us feel about the 5W-20's, me included, but gosh, a 5W-20 in a V-10? Have you even considered going to a 5W-30? I know a lot of Honda owners have and have shown no problems. Call me "old school", but the X20's are just too thin. But have to go with BJ on this one, you dang sure need more moly. I bet that would lower that Fe down some.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Gonna post a UOA of that Havoline 5W20?

--- Bror Jace

Yep, I just have another 3,000 miles to put on before it comes out! Who's your buddy?
grin.gif

Just from the standpoint of all the hype moly gets, I'd be curious to see if the numbers looked any different. I'm guessing not, but thats just speculation.

I'm not saying moly is worthless, not by a long shot. Just that there is more than one way formulate a well functioning motor oil.

Schmoe-
Ok, you are old school
smile.gif
We've seen a fair number of reports coming out of these V10's now, and the 5w20 seems to be holding its own here. One has to remember the V10 is a relatively "new" engine, coming on the market in 1997 or 98, IIRC. It is simply 2 cylinders longer than a 5.4, which is nothing but a stroked 4.6, all of which are doing well to date on the 5w20's.

I'm telling ya, the newer oils and engine designs are turing some conventional wisdom on its head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back