Anyone use Rotella T6 in Harley Evo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 98 wide glide want to maybe switch from HD syn to another. I like the T6 and run the dino 15w-40 in my Kubota. Anyway any thoughts out there? Not sure about 40 in summer.

Since all Harley's are based in 1940's technology , you could run 3-in-1 in them.
Seriously, the motor is antique. Use whatever u like. Harley brand oil , and I have a quart here, is 20w50. The motor likes a thick oil because the tolerances are so loose. 40 weight is no problem.

Harley only recommends a 40 wt oil, when the temps are below 40 degrees f. Most 20/50 wt mineral oils will shear down to a 40 wt after a while. The heat in an air cooled Harley would probably turn that 40 wt into a 30 wt ,which isn't recommended for those motors.,,

I have thought about trying it on my older (97) Harley, but still have 4 extra gallons of the Amsoil 20w-50.
Have used the T6 on metrics and it does good. Still use it in the wife's Shadow.

Yep, I've run 15w40 in my '97 Road King in the fall/winter/spring temps here in the southeast and switch to a 20w50 (or maybe add a bottle of STP) for the summer temps. Some run it year round without issues and even Harley recommends the use of a HDEO until you can get "their" oil...you can also use it in the primary.

^^^ wow - I have never known anyone that used STP in a bike. Not saying it won't work, just haven't known anyone that tried it.
Funny how Harley recommends the use of HDEO until you can get "THEIR" oil. Almost sounds like any other oils are for short term use.

If I had a newer Harley I might use STP in it as it runs so hot it'll turn 20/50 into water.I bet Harley says to change out the HDEO soon, so they can sell you more of their oil, and not loose any market share.

"I bet Harley says to change out the HDEO soon, so they can sell you more of their oil, and not loose any market share."

Hum, my Harley owners manual says to use SYN3 oil period, and change it every 5k miles...

2011 FLHTK - Engine gets either Schaffers Supreme 7000 20w-50 or Amsoil 20w-50, Tranny Amsoil 75w-110 Sever Gear Oil, and Primary gets Redline MTL, year-round..

Last edited:
FWIW, there are a couple of used oil analysis on this board with the Genuine Harley-Davidson conventional 20W-50 @ 5k change intervals. It appears that the Harley branded oil is quite robust for a conventional 20W-50. A bit pricey, yes - as are all motorcycle-specific, manufacturer-branded oils.

Another oil that gives excellent results is the Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W-50.

You could run the 15W-40 in the cooler temps, no problem. The Rotella in the 15W-40 variety appears to be relatively shear-resistant - more so than their 5W-40 variety.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Errtt
Just received the O'Reilly mailer today and the T6 is 17.99.

Yeah, my local O'R got cleaned out of it last weekend already.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back