What makes a great U joint grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
The constant velocity joint that is outboard runs in a bath of gear lube. The inboard one is the one with zerks. http://www.twindisc.com/MarineProducts/MarineArneson.html

Okay the one in the oil bath, of gear lube will last longer with less maintenance,

Now I deal with automotive CV joints and they do not have the Alemite lubrication Zerks,

Now depending how well the inboard joint is sealed the closest lube to that gear oil the outboard one is in the better off you will be,,

this is interesting, Any way to sample what type of grease they come with new ?

Are there any rebuild kits or replacement parts from the MarineArenson place ? What do they recommend ?

This is sounding way to familiar

SURFACE-PIERCING PROPELLERS
For Articulated surface drives, the Arneson Surface Drive is the dominant product, thanks to the "universal joint inside a ball joint" configuration ...

Wow,

The main purpose for surface drives is drag reduction. Before my buddy got the 48 Fountain, he had a Formula 41 performance cruiser with conventional inboard propulsion. It had 2 58O horse Volvos totaling 116O horses it would go about 25 mph. The 48 foot Fountain has 3 engines totaling 132O horsepower and goes sixty. With only an increase in horsepower of 16O it goes 35 mph faster.

This is achieved by drag reduction in the drives and the hull design which has slots in the sides that allow air to mix with the water under the stern of the hull. This may not sound impressive, but it gets phenomenal fuel milage for a large fast yacht, 1 mpg cruising at 4O mph. It has near 5OO gallon fuel capacity so it has a range cruising at 4O of 5OO miles. This is great for when you meet models at the Clevelander in Miami and cruise at 5O to the Bahamas on a moonlight night.

something is wrong with those formula's.....a friend of mine a 41' with two big block chevys making around 400hp each and he goes well over 50kts.....and he uses mercruiser stern drives.....[censored] i had a 21.5' galaxy with 160hp and it did 35 kts

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
something is wrong with those formula's.....a friend of mine a 41' with two big block chevys making around 400hp each and he goes well over 50kts.....and he uses mercruiser stern drives.....[censored] i had a 21.5' galaxy with 160hp and it did 35 kts

"The main purpose for surface drives is drag reduction."

Up to 50 % less drag, So go faster on less power, use less fuel,

at 1 gallon per mile, yikes, So is there any way you could post a picture of the Joint your greaseing ?

and 60 mph in a boat that big is nuts, thats awesome,

I do have to tell you that I have a divide by 2 formula when guys are talking Horse power, speed, MPG, most of the time it is closer to the actual # than what is stated,

On going Joke, but wow 60 mph in a Yacht ,

So this joint, CV joint ? Is it a double cardin Joint, like two ujoints in a row ? close together ?

I cant find any pictures of the drive train set up,

Inboard,

Last edited:
Well we have to get MPG and KNOTS

Cause for alarm is using sailor lingo, "listing a bit to the starboard side captin"

And MPH on the other #

Knots is calculated by a length of Rope thrown over board and timing how many knots go by in 1 min Right ?

cause4alarm, your friend's Formula must be a 41 SS. Whole different animal than a 41 pc. My buddy was shopping for a 41 SS before he decided on the Fountain.

Originally Posted By: IH8mush

Cause for alarm is using sailor lingo, "listing a bit to the starboard side captin"

And MPH on the other #

Knots is calculated by a length of Rope thrown over board and timing how many knots go by in 1 min Right ?

don't judge me, i live in maine.....

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
Originally Posted By: IH8mush

And MPH on the other #

don't judge me, i live in maine.....

Okay, well being in ID gets me some flack, So What does this CV joint look like ?

arneson-downloads-drive.gif

Interesting. The shaft rides just out of the water with only the bottom blade and the blade guard (skeg) in the water.

Arneson PDF

Last edited:
My buddy downloaded the service manual from Twin Disc, and the grease specced was nothing spectacular, just corrosion resistant premium grease. Decided to use Mercruiser U joint and gimbal bearing grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back