Fuel System Cleaner - Interval Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
No name trucks dumping fuel at Top Tier stations is very common here. They also nail station owners for pumping 87 Octane and charging for 92 Octane. We had a guy also pumping less than a gallon when they checked the pumps for accuracy.

Valvoline recommends using their "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" every 6,000 miles. I've never seen a mileage recommendation from any other fuel system cleaner manufacturer.

Filters on gas pumps... If a filter is old, it won't suddenly start letting contaminants through. Why do people think like this? An overloaded filter will simply restrict flow. It doesn't magically stop filtering.

Originally Posted By: glum
Valvoline recommends using their "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" every 6,000 miles. I've never seen a mileage recommendation from any other fuel system cleaner manufacturer.

The bottles of Gumout Regane I have say "Use Every 3,000 Miles" on the front of them. I've also got a bottle of Shell V-Power (received free with an oil change special last fall) which says "Repeat at every oil change or 5,000 miles." in the directions on the back of it.

I gave up on the top tier gas stations in my area since I've had my share of bad tanks of gasoline. Another game they play is the 5 Cents off Premium on Tuesdays and Thursdays. IMO...same gas....more money and the cars that I see lining up for "Premium" don't require premium gas.

I find some good old mom and pop gas stations and no name stations that have a reputation for quality gas....then I fill up and add my 3 ounces of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of Techron to the fill up. I save a lot of money with these inexpensive additives to ethanol gas.

I see, quite frequently, the no name gas tankers unloading to the top tier gas stations....IMO...it's whatever price the Franchise owner will pay to the distributor to get a deal. The same as "Bulk Oil" deliveries to quick lube palaces....whatever is the best deal...they will buy. Hello Liberty oil!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: glum

The bottles of Gumout Regane I have say "Use Every 3,000 Miles" on the front of them. I've also got a bottle of Shell V-Power (received free with an oil change special last fall) which says "Repeat at every oil change or 5,000 miles." in the directions on the back of it.

I wonder if they make these recommendations to sell more fuel system cleaner?
shocked.gif

None of my vehicles owners manuals mention this is needed. In fact they recommend not using any additives at all. (Except for their own products they sell)
21.gif

Is any TC-W3 worthwhile or just the Synthetic Blend? I bought some conventional Pennzoil 2-cycle oil, says it is TC-W3 certified. Good as the straight Marine SynBlend with TC-W3 on the front from Wal-Mart, also Pennzoil?

Since tanker trucks have separate compartments, is it not very possible that when the run is scheduled, that the 87 octane section is not top tier and is dropped off at the local no-name station? The remaining 89 & 91/93 section had the top tire additives and were delivered to the top tier station? I see many on this thread buy into the world is conspiracy idea. za bad run on sentence I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back