Question about my new Toyota Tundra...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
Hi folks,

I just bought a new 2011 5.7 liter Toyota Tundra and the owners manual (and fill cap) indicates that either 0W20 or 5W20 are acceptable. I understand the advantages of 0W20 over 5W20 is the increase in gas mileage (and protection?). I am guessing this increase is extremly low and probably hardly noticable.

Is it really worth it to spend the extra money for the 0W20 (if I can find it)? I can get 5W20 anywhere in my area at any time. In other words, can I use the 5W20 with confidence? I understand the properties of the 0W20 are better, but is it worth the money and headache of finding it. I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time and want to maintain it as best I can, for as long as possible.

Lastly, If I do commit to using 5W20 (Pennzoil Platinum), can I combine the last portion of my 0W20 Castrol Edge stash with 5W20 PP in my oil changes? Are they compatable to use together? I would probably use 5 quarts PP and 3 quarts Castrol Edge. I really don't know...might be a rediculous question. Yes, this monster engine takes 8 quarts.

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback...

SR5Tundra.jpg

Congrat's on your new vehicle. I would just pick a good 5W-20 synthetic and run that year round. You just are not going to see sub zero temps which is where 0W-20 would really offer benefits. I would not mix the oils myself but you could without harm. I just never was into mixing. PP or PU would be a good choice. Check around for some Kendal GT1 full synthetic as well. It is very affordable and excellent oil.

Last edited:
Cutiger,
Nice!Do you have the bench seat?
If your going synthetic 5w20 is good and easy to find.
I put 5w30 in my 5.7 in the summer.Even dealers do that.
Good luck with it!

Originally Posted By: gaspo
Hi folks,

Is it really worth it to spend the extra money for the 0W20

I don’t understand philosophy of some folks. They have no problems paying many thousand for brand new vehicle but looking to save few dollars on one oil vs another. I would be more concerned about filling this baby up. It would cost you around ~$100 a pop with current gas prices.

Let me explain my philosphy, so you can understand it a little bit better. I can afford trucks like mine because I watch my money closely.

I can afford the gas too, because....well, you get the idea.

Well...I just made a trip to Walmart and they had a very nice selection. But, the only manufacturer of 0W20 that was offered in the 5 quart jugs is Mobil 1. So, that is what I went with, Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy (green cap). The price ($23.50) was nearly the same as all the big name brand 5W20 jugs...so I decided to give it a try and squeeze the most fuel economy I can out of my engine. These 381 horses are thirsty all the time...

Thanks for your compliments on my new truck...I'm looking forward to many years of service out of it.

I'm curious; so you're not going to use the 2 yr/25K free maintenance program? Besides oil change, they're also supposed to rotate the tires and do the factory checks.

I've been going back and forth on it. I do enjoy changing my own oil but 8 quarts is a lot of oil and I'm also not looking forward to dealing with that skid plate.

Hope you'll report back what you think about the 0W-20 AFE. My first choice when I do change my oil is currently Edge 5W-20 and the AFE was my second choice.

use what toyota says to use in case there is a warantee issue..... Those toyota v8 engines have been known to have problems... We did one in January that had under 50,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: RW1
I'm curious; so you're not going to use the 2 yr/25K free maintenance program? Besides oil change, they're also supposed to rotate the tires and do the factory checks.

I've been going back and forth on it. I do enjoy changing my own oil but 8 quarts is a lot of oil and I'm also not looking forward to dealing with that skid plate.

Hope you'll report back what you think about the 0W-20 AFE. My first choice when I do change my oil is currently Edge 5W-20 and the AFE was my second choice.

Honestly, I never gave the free maintenance program the first thought. I enjoy working on my cars and maintaining them. I get alot of satisfaction knowing exactly what was used and that it was done properly...right down to the torque spec for the drain plug.

Looking forward to using Mobil1 0W20 and Wix filter.

Last edited:
Well...I just made a trip to Walmart and they had a very nice selection. But, the only manufacturer of 0W20 that was offered in the 5 quart jugs is Mobil 1. So, that is what I went with, Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy (green cap). The price ($23.50) was nearly the same as all the big name brand 5W20 jugs...so I decided to give it a try and squeeze the most fuel economy I can out of my engine. These 381 horses are thirsty all the time...

Thanks for your compliments on my new truck...I'm looking forward to many years of service out of it.

I seriously doubt you will see more than perhaps a .2-.5 MPG max running 0W-20 vs 5W-20. IF you want to see a real MPG gain swap the entire drive train over to synthetic.

I can't believe they're recommending 0W-20 and 5W-20 in a vehicle like this. I'd be running a 0W-30 or 5W-30.

The days of 300-400k mile engines are over I think, but at least you'll save a few $ in gas right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I can't believe they're recommending 0W-20 and 5W-20 in a vehicle like this. I'd be running a 0W-30 or 5W-30.

The days of 300-400k mile engines are over I think, but at least you'll save a few $ in gas right.

Proof to show that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back