Redneck tire mounting, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard of this? I ran across YouTube videos of it, and it is SO funny I laughed until I cried!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

It involves putting a flammable spray of some sort (Aerosol, hairspray, butane, propane, acetylene,gasoline, alcohol, whatever) inside a loose tire on a rim. The idiots ignite it, and the resulting flash instantaneously blows the tire up and pops it mounted on the rim. Incredible effective, and incredibly funny! YouTube REDNECK TIRE MOUNTING and you will laugh hysterically!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

There are basically 2 ways to expand certain tires quickly enough to have them seat onto the wheel rim. One involves a large air cannon, and the other is using flammable liquids.

It's all funny until someone gets hurt.

Anyhow, it is often used to re-seat tires after making repairs when out in the boonies. Realistically, just how else are you going to do it when you're in the middle of nowhere? I've seen it done, from the Sahara to the Antarctic. It sure beats walking out!

The guys running narrow tires on wide wheels also use it. Their reasons? All I can think of is ignorance, related to a number of things.

Now if you really want to see a "BOOM", try unseating the beads of a heavy equipment tire with C4...

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Has anyone heard of this? I ran across YouTube videos of it, and it is SO funny I laughed until I cried!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

It involves putting a flammable spray of some sort (Aerosol, hairspray, butane, propane, acetylene,gasoline, alcohol, whatever) inside a loose tire on a rim. The idiots ignite it, and the resulting flash instantaneously blows the tire up and pops it mounted on the rim. Incredible effective, and incredibly funny! YouTube REDNECK TIRE MOUNTING and you will laugh hysterically!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Wo do that at work to bead tires on rims for the big trucks when the tires are cold. Ether is what we usually use.

Saw a tv show, perhaps on Discovery or NatG, where (iirc) two Toyota Land Cruisers are driven across the Arctic/Antarctic. A similar method was used to reinflate a deflated tire. In that situation, it seemed very effective.

Oh yea, that is funny. That is new to me and I could've used that maybe about a year ago when the bead broke on a flat I had. I guess some carburetor spray and a match is all you need.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
My wife's nephew lost his eyebrows and dignity seating a tractor tire in this manner. Both eventually grew back.

ROFL!

I can't recommend it because it's dangerous, but I've done it with Gumout. Didn't work in the cold. Ether might work in the cold, but Gumout didn't...just set everything on fire.

OBLIGATORY WARNING: THIS IS DANGEROUS!

People have been kiled when tires explode - and some of these accidents have occurred when using this technique

DO NOT DO THIS!

What happens is that the bead may get trapped (snagged, whatever) - and that may lead to the bead breaking! By applying pressure slowly you can see if you have a problem and back off when it is apparent that you do!

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
OBLIGATORY WARNING: THIS IS DANGEROUS!

People have been kiled when tires explode - and some of these accidents have occurred when using this technique

DO NOT DO THIS!

What happens is that the bead may get trapped (snagged, whatever) - and that may lead to the bead breaking! By applying pressure slowly you can see if you have a problem and back off when it is apparent that you do!

marginally off topic, a local kid was killed a few years back seating a split rim outside a cage.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Saw a tv show, perhaps on Discovery or NatG, where (iirc) two Toyota Land Cruisers are driven across the Arctic/Antarctic. A similar method was used to reinflate a deflated tire. In that situation, it seemed very effective.

That's where I've seen this done, too. I think it was either Land Cruisers or Pajeros that they were driving.

my wife witnessed this technique with a soda cap's-worth of gasoline poured into the tire. it was 11 pm on a realty company road trip in the middle of nowhere to some conference. said he drizzled the fuel in, stood back, and flicked a match into it. . bolted it back on the van and off they went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back