If you think oil came from dinosaurs, think again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow

How many oysters/trilobites lived at the top of mountain ranges ?

The 'critters' were deposited on sea floors that later arose to be mountain ranges, e.g. the Himalayas mountain range that was once ocean bottom and pushed up by the tectonic collision of a land mass now called India.

JUST NEED PLANKTON, then lots of time, then favourable trapping conditions, then accessible drilling.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That doesnt mean that some reasonable attempt shouldnt be made to leave this place the same or better than we entered.

What exactly does that mean?

Over population seems to be a favorite topic of yours. Do you not understand that the population bomb theory has been discredited many times over?

Quote:
I don't want my children or their children to live in a world where we have left them a legacy of scarcity, with all of its attendant consequences.

So what do you want to do about this "impending scarcity"?

Do you not use a car or electricity? Kinda' hard since you are using a computer.

So where's all the future oil then Tempest ?

Surely your market has a plan on where it lives, get it, and feed the exponential growth...and a payment plan.

So what's the plan ?

Quote:
So what's the plan ?

Don't have one. Central planners have a catastrophic track record, especially at feeding people and providing energy, yet people still want them so we can have a "plan".

It's all the "intelligent" gray area thinkers that claim we need all these restriction on the "market" (personal choice), yet they never have any idea as to what or how much. Instead they rely on these PC euphemisms to make themselves feel good or superior, without actually thinking about what the actual implementation of these things really mean.

How many gallons of gas should people be allotted? Tons of coal? Pounds of metal? Acres of farmland?
Or a percentage off the existing use? 10%? 30%? 50%? Based on what metric?
If oil is limited, how long do we want it to "last"? What is the cut off date? Based on known reserves or projected new reserves?

What is the plan, indeed.

It amazes me that degreed engineers don't bother to ask these basic questions.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
A quick search pegs the annual oil seepage rate at somewhere near 600,000 metric tons.
This is equivalent to about 4 million barrels per YEAR.
Global oil consumption is about 100 million barrels per DAY.

Assuming the natural seeps represent an equilibrium level of production and leakage, it's clear that nature isn't making the stuff remotely fast enough to keep up with human use.

If this true and I think the theory of seepage rate is on the low end we only have 24,000,000 days of oil or 65,000 years and some change of oil at the current consumption rate. We are running out of oil people!

People who do not understand kinetics are not able to understand the big picture to make this argument.

Originally Posted By: 91gmblack
The "dinosaur" theory is garbage. It was drilled into us kids in the 60s.

It is called "Dino" oil because it refers to the geological time frame that it took to create (i.e. when the source material for the formation of reserves was laid down, hundreds of millions of years ago)

I was never taught oil came from dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back