I Always Thought GM Goodwrench Oil Was Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was told by a pretty reliable source (my bulk oil delivery service)) that gm goodwrench was made by pennzoil and no longer mobil..
We dont but it because of price we buy conoco oils because we get them at a good price and is great oil

I got an oil change today at the Chevy dealer. I asked what type of oil they use for their bulk conventional, and they said Mobil. Not sure if they meant Goodrwency and made by Mobil, or if they get drums of Mobil branded oil.

Mobil (XOM) is factory fill for GM and makes Goodwrench oils. If a GM dealer is on the GM oil program, they are buying Mobil from an authorized Mobil distributor. However, they do not have to be on the GM program and are fee to choose whom they buy it from, and what brand they buy.

Before I retired I had GM dealers throughout Wisconsin on both Pennzoil and Quaker State products. Fighting the factory oil is a hard thing to do as they have some large incentives to be on the program, but some dealers choose on their own what to use.

Hi Johnny,
I was told the gm goodwrench oil recently changed to pennzoil after many years of being mobil...this came from one of my oil distributors i then called one of my friends (parts manager at a chevrolet dealer) and he said it was pennzoil also...He also said the 2011 or 2012 corvettte will no longer have the mobil sticker under the hood it will change to pennzoil. This came from two respected people in the business if you could ask your connections at pennzoil if this is something new and post your findings that would be great..

GM has already come out and said Mobil will continue to be the factory fill for Corvette. It will not be Pennzoil. You have been misinformed.

As far as Pennzoil being the bulk oil for changes at dealerships, as Johnny said, that's up to the dealerships.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Hi Johnny,
I was told the gm goodwrench oil recently changed to pennzoil after many years of being mobil...this came from one of my oil distributors i then called one of my friends (parts manager at a chevrolet dealer) and he said it was pennzoil also...He also said the 2011 or 2012 corvettte will no longer have the mobil sticker under the hood it will change to pennzoil. This came from two respected people in the business if you could ask your connections at pennzoil if this is something new and post your findings that would be great..

Just had communication with a contact at Shell this morning. As of right now, Mobil is the factory fill for General Motors. Here is the email communication I had.

Date: March 25, 2011 6:52:34 AM CDT
To:
Subject: RE: Pennzoil Question

I know we are doing a lot of research with GM but there's
no word of any new factory fill business. We took Mopar from Mobil and
GM is in our sights but nothing yet.

Hope you and Donna are doing well!

Robert S C.L.S.
Shell Lubricants
I.C.A.M.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 7:47 AM
To: Scott, Robert W SLUBE-DIU/52M
Subject: Pennzoil Question

Bob,

Have you heard anything about Pennzoil being the "new" factory fill at
GM and especially for the Corvette?

I hope all is well with you and your family and that winter has not
been as hard on you as it has been on me.

All the best,

Johnny

I also just got through communication with the sales manager of one of the largest Mobil distributors in the midwest about this. Here is our email communication. (Names edited for privacy)

Date: March 25, 2011 7:29:02 AM CDT
To: "Johnny P"
Subject: RE: Pennzoil Question

No, I didn't . I know Mobil just signed a new five year contract with
GM? Will do.

Dave C
Sales Manager
Halron Lubricants Inc.
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2011 6:54 AM
To: Dave C
Subject: Pennzoil Question

Dave,

Have you heard anything about Pennzoil/Shell becoming the factory fill
at General Motors and especially for the Corvette?

I figured if anyone would know about this, you would.

Let's have a pizza the next time your over.

Johnny

Hi Johnny,
Thank you for your information and thank you for going out of your way to answer us...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Johnny, will the pizza be Domino or Pizza Hut?

Neither, we have a local place called Sam's that blow both of those away.
grin2.gif

that's not the first time the pennzoil rumor has surfaced... there is a guy going around on youtube swearing on his grandmother's grave that Pennzoil is and always has been the factory fill in the vette.

If anyone watched the highlights of the 12 hours of sebring... you'd see that the commercials were Mobil and Corvette
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Johnny, will the pizza be Domino or Pizza Hut?

Neither, we have a local place called Sam's that blow both of those away.
grin2.gif

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back