Mobil 1 0w-20 8800 miles 2009 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Honda Fit Sport, 28,600 miles (IIRC) on the car with the oil change. Blackstone said to run out to 11k miles and sample again. Fuel is a bit high because we jockeyed the car around a little in the driveway prior to the oil change. The silicon tells me that OEM Honda air filters are just fine. Car is on its second Honda air filter. Oil filter was a M1-104 (crosses to Purolator L14459). I put in more M1 0w-20 and another M1-104. Hope to re-sample at 15% on the OLM.

Report:
Code:

MI/HR on Oil 8,800

UNIT /

MI/HR on Unit

Sample Date 10/29/10 AVERAGES

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 5 5

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 13 13

COPPER 3 3

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 85 85

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 4 4

BORON 44 44

SILICON 9 9

SODIUM 6 6

CALCIUM 2028 2028

MAGNESIUM 10 10

PHOSPHORUS 562 562

ZINC 654 654

BARIUM 0 0

Values

Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 48.7 46-56

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 6.88 6.0-9.4

Flashpoint in °F 340 >385

Fuel % 2.3
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.4 pre>

The Honda OLM is calibrated with dino, you can easily go to 0% on the OLM with any syn, with M1 0W20 you may be able to pass OLM by 15-25% (reset OLM when it is down to 0% and change oil when it is 75%)

6.88 cSt? Flashpoint 340F? I don't know how I'd feel about taking it out to 11K with those numbers. But then again the breakin oil on the Fit is said to be 0w-10, isn't it?

Probably. I might change that once it's out of powertrain warranty. Right now I'll follow Honda recommendations with oil on this car.

That is a lot of fuel. Was this entire oil fill done with the same ECU calibration? I remember that we both had the ECU reflashed at some point.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
6.88 cSt? Flashpoint 340F? I don't know how I'd feel about taking it out to 11K with those numbers.

You do see how much fuel is in this sample don't you? that effects FP and Visc.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
That is a lot of fuel. Was this entire oil fill done with the same ECU calibration? I remember that we both had the ECU reflashed at some point.

IIRC we had the reflash done during this.

And, could idling the car on a cold engine in the driveway for 5-10 minutes trying to make my ramps work with it before changing the oil cause that much fuel? We had the car sitting idling right before changing the oil diddling around with the ramps before I gave up and broke out my jack/jackstands.

On this sample the car saw about 80% highway commuting duties involving a 25 mile trip each way with a cold start both times.

Next time I'll get a sample when the engine is shut down hot.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
And, could idling the car on a cold engine in the driveway for 5-10 minutes trying to make my ramps work with it before changing the oil cause that much fuel?

Definitely, since engines tend to run rich until they warm up. Usually the exhaust smells of unburned fuel during the first few minutes of startup.

That's a lot of fuel. Your sampling technique (idling a cold engine in the driveway) kinda ruined the UOA report, since you have no idea whether you can actually extend your OCIs or not, as a result of all that fuel!!

I don't get B_S's recommendations sometimes. It seems when the oil is in terrible condition, they recommend an almost 3,000 mile extension but when the oil looks to be in decent shape, they recommend an increase of 700 miles.
33.gif

That's a lot of fuel for all highway cruising.

I know, my technique was terrible for sampling thanks to that idling right before the change.

At least the wear metals are okay.

True, you know that much for sure.

I honestly don't see any reason why you would not start working your way up to extending your OCIs right now while still under warranty.

With the UOA you know you're not running the oil down to its last drop of strength, so lube related failure isn't going to be an issue, so warranty on the engine at this point seems like a waste of time.

I did this with my 07 Civic EX and just now started extending my OCIs after the 60k warranty and i wish i did it sooner as i could have been saving money all along.

Engine runs great now @ 108k with 10k OCIs (factory OLM comes on at 6.5k) and i'm working towards extending even higher, hopefully around 15k since the Civic seems a lot of highway use.

Just a suggestion. Honda will never know you had synthetic oil in there, pushing the OCIs further then OEM spec.

You can easily run it down to 0% and still stay within warranty limits.

No comment on warranty related concerns, but try this set up again to 10K and get a UOA done immediately(have your ramps set up etc or just siphon from the dipstick) after driving a good 20+ miles on the highway and returning home.

If my MityVac 7201 will siphon from the Fit, I'll do that right after it gets home after a highway run. There won't be idling before the next oil change any sampling method used.

I'll try to let the factory OLM go to 15% and set the light to change the oil before changing. Right now it's at 40%, so there's a way to go. Warranty will still be intact since that's how Honda recommends changing the oil. Wait for the light then change. I'm not going to argue.

The next UOA might be a bit skewed by having to open up the valve cover for the lost-motion-spring recall on 09-10 Fits.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of these new 0w20 drop a bit of viscosity to improve fuel efficiency. Amsoil 0w20 and RL 0w20 use no VII's and only go up a bit in viscosity over time. They added more moly to M1 0w20. My car loves it.

The next UOA might be a bit skewed by having to open up the valve cover for the lost-motion-spring recall on 09-10 Fits.

That might throw off the numbers if a lot of dirt fell into the block while the VC was off. Either way, its worth sampling, worst case, you can see just how much dirt got in. haha.

If my MityVac 7201 will siphon from the Fit, I'll do that right after it gets home after a highway run.

Yes, the MityVac will siphon oil from the Fit dipstick tube, but you need to clean the MityVac container/reservoir so that it will not contaminate the oil you extract from the Fit.

Fuel, low flash, viscosity sheared, and insolubles creeping up. I wouldn't go further on this oil IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back