Bypass A/C compressor on 94 Ford Bronco w/ 351 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which belt do I need to bypass A/C compressor on a 94 Ford Bronco w/ 351 engine. How do I take the A/C compressor off? Is it an easy task and will it affect anything?

Instruction would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.

If you can change a serpentine belt you can do it. Just go to a parts store and get a belt for a non-AC truck. The compressor shouldn't interfere with it, so you can leave it on. If it does interfere, unbolt it and remove it. It's really easy.

If it has electric clutch, just disconnect the low pressure switch. I had to do that on my 1990 Taurus SHO when the compressor seized. Lot more easier! Just follow the wiring from the clutch to the low pressure port. You should be able to see the switch. If you disconnect it, the A/C will never engage.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Why not just fix it? If you're on a budget, I'd suggest getting a re-manufactured unit from ebay.

I've bought a unit from this vendor before, with good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-99-FOR...sQ5fAccessories

A/C is pretty important to me.
smile.gif

Fixing it is way more involved than simply slapping on a new compressor. When the compresor sezes, it basically grinds itself up inside and spews metal shavings and junk throughout the whole system. You need to flush out or replace EVERY AC component. Its an expensive job.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Fixing it is way more involved than simply slapping on a new compressor. When the compresor sezes, it basically grinds itself up inside and spews metal shavings and junk throughout the whole system. You need to flush out or replace EVERY AC component. Its an expensive job.

Doesn't that depend on how the compressor failed?

If it's a clutch issue, isn't that external, as in, no junk in the system?

He has a seized compressor, which means it was an internal failure. This is what led to the clutch failure-- clutch engaged, belt tried to spin compressor, but compressor is seized, so the clutch just kept slipping and burned up, trashing the bearing in the process. Exact same thing happened on my Explorer last year. I am very well-versed in Ford AC systems now after that repair...

Originally Posted By: exranger06
He has a seized compressor, which means it was an internal failure. This is what led to the clutch failure-- clutch engaged, belt tried to spin compressor, but compressor is seized, so the clutch just kept slipping and burned up, trashing the bearing in the process. Exact same thing happened on my Explorer last year. I am very well-versed in Ford AC systems now after that repair...

What parts did you replace to complete your repair?

Junkyard compressor with only 49k miles on it, the rest of the parts were brand new: condenser, accumulator, orifice tube, all lines/hoses. I had the orignal evaporator flushed out and reused it. I would have flushed out the hoses too, but they were in poor shape and leaking (which I suspect lead to the compressor failure in the first place) so I replaced them.

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
summit racing has a kit with a belt, and idler pulley with a bracket to replace the compressor

If you have to buy a belt anyway, you might as well just buy a shorter belt for a non-AC truck. No sense in spending more AND having a useless pulley that doesn't really do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back