Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors - yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beater van is having an annoying brake chirp and other noises which I tracked down to cheap Aimco GS/Raybestos Service Grade rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads - even though the aftermarket says Nissan and Ford spec ceramic for this van, I looked at its Mercury cousin in the RockAuto catalog and Ford specs semi-metallic pads for it. I ordered a pair of Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors for it, and RockAuto said to send the old pads back for new ones since they are making a horrible noise until they warm up.

Even though the AT rotors are made in China, is the Advanced Technology line better than Professional Grade and Aimco/Service Grade?

Since the AT rotors aren't much more price wise than the lower grades, I used a pair last year on the wife's car. Not sure if they're better than the lower grades (other than the painted hat, which is nice), but no problems so far. Also, when the rotors arrived I was surprised that they were stamped "Made in USA". Not sure if I got old stock or not, but I was expecting them to be made in China.

nthach,

Raybestos used to call their premium rotor Professional Grade (PG) if I remember correct. Then they changed it to Advanced Technology (AT).

About 5 years ago I bought North American made premium PG rotors and had to exchange one because it was machined so poorly. About 2.5 years ago one of my pads disintegrated and gouged a rotor. I replaced them with AT.

The Chinese AT rotor had a MUCH better finish to it (vs. PG). Mine have been wearing very well and I just put a second set of pads on, without turning the rotors. So, thumbs up for me, but I do dislike the China part.

Rotors are hit or miss now a days regardless of price range. I have also had excellent results with the Autozone golds on other vehicles.

I was impressed with the Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors that I put on my Ford Windstar.
I would not hesitate to order their Advanced Technology in the future.

I replaced my rotors last spring with Raybestos Advanced tech rotors. (on my Ram pickup) One of the front ones have warped. I always rotate tires myself and torque to spec. 33 years of driving and these are my 1st warped rotors. I've always heard of the problem but this the 1st time it's happened to me.
21.gif

I got them from the parts house, one is made in the US and one is made in China. I also picked up a pair of Monroe pads just in case RockAuto wouldn't warranty the ThermoQuiets, but I did call them and they are sending me a new set of pads.

How would brembo "blanks" (no cross drilling) hold up in the rotor war? Made in Italy I believe.

I put a set of the raybestos advanced tech rotors on my 06 saturn relay and a set of ceramic Monroe pads.
Well... the van stops very good.. problem is there's a horrible grinding when you press hard.
This happened a couple weeks after driving around.
I did the correct "break-in" for the rotors & pads.

It's almost like the ABS system is trying to activate.
I even swapped pads to the Powerstop ceramics and same issue.
I put the Monroe's back on and no change.

I'm livign with it for now.. but the other day I noticed a decent size cut in the rotor, looks like the wife found a small pebble and jammed it in the caliper and dug a ring around the rotor.

I dunno...

What's the difference between rotors, neglecting drilled/slotted? They're all made from cast iron. Thickness? Heat treatment? Finish?

All you have to do is spend a few minutes measuring and inspecting them.

Iron is iron. I'm much more concerned about balancing, cooling, and the accuracy of the machining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back