Late model GM V-6 head gasket problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after battling with GM and intake gasket problems over the last decade, GM now has head gasket problems on most of the late model high value V-6s, both the 3.5 and 3.9 liters. If you look at some of the GM forums and Edmunds, many people are reporting head gasket leaks. I just got the confirmation from the service manager at our local Chevy dealer that my moms 2007 Impala with the 3.5L needs new head gaskets, a new water pump, and new coolant crossover pipe gaskets. There are 2 very important TSBs for these engines for the head gaskets and the coolant crossover pipe gaskets. It appears the problem rivals the intake gasket problems, so if you guys with any of these engines are noticing coolant loss, fluctuating or non existent heat from the HVAC (air pockets will form in the heater core), and external leaks, get your cars into the dealer ASAP before your GM 5 year/100K power train warranty expires.

I'll say this: at this point, the dealer isn't fighting the warranty at all and they're explaining everything to me since I'm well informed about the problem. Thank goodness GM has the 5 year power train warranty.

Here's the list of engines and vehicles that have these engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Value_engine

The TSB for the head gaskets is 4196. The TSB for the coolant crossover pipe gaskets is 07-06-02-006A.

oh. i thought the 3.5 was a dohc. i dont know new chevys too well. please dont tell me its derived from the old 3100s and 3400s. I had one of those explode in my face XD (coolant overflow tank literally EXPLODED!!! when i popped the hood to see the glitter in the oil and check for block windows after it threw a rod lol)

Originally Posted By: mc2lizard
oh. i thought the 3.5 was a dohc. i dont know new chevys too well. please dont tell me its derived from the old 3100s and 3400s. I had one of those explode in my face XD (coolant overflow tank literally EXPLODED!!! when i popped the hood to see the glitter in the oil and check for block windows after it threw a rod lol)

The new GM V-6s are a totally new design. They seem to be good engines, just like the previous generation engines, but they've got these stupid gasket problems! Ughhh

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
They seem to be good engines, just like the previous generation engines, but they've got these stupid gasket problems! Ughhh

Correct...

not a engine design flaw it's a gasket flaw,I've done MANY R&R IMG on 3100's,3400's,5700's etc,etc and with the right gasket and procedure never had one return not one.

I know theyre actually good engines except the LIM issues. but.. hard to get that bad taste out of your mouth with them after that happens.. that nasty bitter dex-cool taste lol Im just a bit more partial to the 3800 gm engines if its gonna be a pushrod 6.

Originally Posted By: mc2lizard
I know theyre actually good engines except the LIM issues. but.. hard to get that bad taste out of your mouth with them after that happens.. that nasty bitter dex-cool taste lol Im just a bit more partial to the 3800 gm engines if its gonna be a pushrod 6.

I know, right?
GM really made some very good V6's, torquey, good MPG and made good power everywhere. The friggen gaskets ruined their reputation though.

UGH! Silly GM, when you will learn to engineer a gasket correctly the first time around?!?

I replaced the LIM gaskets on my Buick at 66k miles. Even at that low mileage, they were estimated by folks very knowledgeable about 3800 V6's to be a month away from failure.

If the 3500 and 3900 are related to the 3100/3400 V6's, I'm not surprised. The 3400, while a basically all right engine, had a lot of gasket issues.

Its related to the 3400 but AFAIK it has a dry intake manifold, that's why i wasn't too worried.
The 3400 had few head gasket issues just the LIM.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Oh boy am i in for it now!
I just hooked my dad up with a 09 Saturn Vue XE with the GM 3.5

Fingers crossed on this one!

Anything past 2008 or 2009 I believe has the re designed gaskets - all of them. It's only the 05-07 that has head gasket and crossover gasket problems.

You can check the TSBs to make sure.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I found out today that my crossover pipe is leaking on my '07 Uplander. Going in Tuesday morning to get fixed. (warranty)

I just picked up the van. Looks good- runs good... we'll see if the problem is fixed as time goes by.

They did replace the old Dex-Cool with fresh coolant so that's a plus... warranty repair, no charge.

I had an 05 3.5 and I thought that the intake manifold was dry. (no coolant running thru it)
Just change the dexcool every 3 years.

besides, if you do the repair yourself, it doesn't cost alot. maybe 2 tanks of gas.
smile.gif

I had to replace the upper intake on the wife's old Buick 3800 and now I am going to be doing the coolant crossover gaskets on her 2008 Saturn Aura.

On the other hand my 2004 Camry has never had it's engine or anything bolted to the engine touched. I hate the prices one has to pay for Toyota's but man do I love never having to put a wrench to one.

Obviously wear items need to be replaced like spark plugs, air filters brake pads etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back