Re-evaluating oil change for company vans

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Honda Odyssey LX minivans, about 30k each. They're used a few times a week to drive across town and back, maybe 5 miles round trip...barely any time to warm up. Parked outside 365 days a year.

Also used a few times a year for ferrying equipment to remote sites. Generally beat on and abused by the employees despite my best efforts.

The vans belong to my department which means I am the person responsible for cleaning and maintaining them. Totally not in my job description, but whatever. Current OCI is every 3k with Honda conventional 5w20 and the OEM Honda filter. I am really considering switching to changes every 6 months, regardless of mileage and using the Honda 0w20 synthetic to help with cold starts and the fact they sit for a long time. I don't do the changes myself, it's faster and easier to just drive to the dealer down the block.

Thoughts?

I can also get a case of 12x1qt bottles of RLI 0w20 for $150 shipped. It's an excellent oil too.

I would stay with the 3,000 mile oil change interval so that the van is checked out at every service stop. It reduces the liability on you in the event that something goes wrong.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sounds like a good idea to me. Two oil changes per year should keep the oil fresh enuf

+1

Should help on the abuse too..

The total mileage averages out to just 3.75K, per year. I'd go to annual oil changes with a full inspection and forget about it. As for the Red Line, why spend a small fortune where it's not even remotely necessary?

Does your boss know you're trying to extend the OCIs on company vehicles?
31.gif

The only recommendation from me would be for you to upgrade to a better filter. Honda filters are made by Fram.
33.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: rshunter
The total mileage averages out to just 3.75K, per year. I'd go to annual oil changes with a full inspection and forget about it. As for the Red Line, why spend a small fortune where it's not even remotely necessary?

Because I want to slap a Redline Oil sticker on it. :-D

Any Synthetic 0W20 and annual oil changes get my vote. OK, I am prejudiced..... this is what I have done for many years!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm

Slap 'em on there. Who's to know it's really Honda 0W-20 pumping through its veins, if you don't tell 'em?
wink.gif

I can also get a case of 12x1qt bottles of RLI 0w20 for $150 shipped. It's an excellent oil too.

RLI? You mean the Terry Dyson oil? I think the price you're showing here is a bit more than what 12 bottles of RL should cost you.

Agree with the comments on RL. But if it's the company's money, and they approve the expense, who cares. But if we follow this train of thought, if it's the company's money, why take care of the vehicle in such detail anyway? Just leave it to the dealer reminder stickers and wash your hands of it.

But this is an oil forum, so if you're asking for advice you're going to get it. If the point of this exercise is you are tasked to save some cash on the maintenance, go with any synthetic oil rather than the RL. Even at parts store non-sale price, it should be "only" around $6/quart. If you catch a sale less than $5.
If the point is to put stickers on your car, just buy the stickers.

Last edited:
Since you are in charge of their maintenance, why not do the one thing that would help them more than anything else:

Take each van, once a week, and go for a 20 mile highway drive.

Then park it.
That will take care of any condensation, and potential fuel contamination.

BC.

Honestly, with the synthetic oil and quality filter...once a year will be fine. Let us know if the Boss gives you a promotion? Just be ready with Bitog data to graph and show your data when the Boss ask you why your saving the company so much money. LOL

Don't you think if the employees will see a Redline sticker on there somewhere, it will just give them the thought to PUSH the poor van to its limits... (redline!!)

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Since you are in charge of their maintenance, why not do the one thing that would help them more than anything else:

Take each van, once a week, and go for a 20 mile highway drive.

Then park it.
That will take care of any condensation, and potential fuel contamination.

BC.

Really good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back