Oil for '97 Land Rover Discovery SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a '97 Land Rover Discovery SE, and I am trying to determine which oil to use. I am not familiar with the vehicles history or maintenance schedule, so I'd like to start of fresh. The engine is a 4.0L V8 with 175k miles, and runs pretty strong. It seems like 5w-40 or 10w-40 is recommended for typical Georgia weather, but I cannot decide between the two. Any recommendations? I am not sure if the previous owners used synthetic or not, so do you think it would be of any benefit to start? I'll likely drive the vehicle less than 3-5k miles a year, mostly around town.

Oh yeah, great thing with this engine, it uses the same filter as my Jeeps! Big difference, though, the oil capacity on the Rover is 7 quarts.

Well you have a lot of choices. If you want one of the best oils for local tastes i would get the Mobil 1 0w-40. If you want the best bang for the buck and top quality i would go with Rotella T6 5w-40, which can be bought at walmart in 5qt jugs for a reasonbable price.

Or if you just want the cheapest but don't wanna skimp , try Pennzoil Yellow bottle 10w-40

It depends on what you want to spend and where you want to shop.

If you want to do the 5k a year oil change with a synthetic you will be keeping your engine very clean.

Might wanna check on the Motorcraft FL1A filters if they fit they are among the best bang for the buck on the jeep engines.

I forgot to mention you can get Valvoline synpower in 5w40 in some places, which would be a good choice for a once a year change at 5k miles.

Mobil 1 5w-40 turbo diesel is also an option.

Last edited:
IMO....If it were my vehicle....You could look at Shell Rotella T, Triple Protection, Mobil Super Delvac, Chevron Delo, Valvoline Super Blue all in 15w-40 would serve your purpose. You can even use Coastal Lubegard in 15w40 and it would work just fine. These are all Dino Diesel oils that are also rated for gasoline engines....like yours. I would not fill it up with 7 quarts of expensive synthetic with nothing to gain.

They come in Gallon Jugs so you could easily add some Formula Shell, Havoline, Chevron, Valvoline Quaker State, Mobil Super Dino oil to the mix to fill your crankcase.

Mobil Delvac is on sale at Walmart at this time with a rebate of $4 a jug and the Shell Rotella T, Triple Protection 15w40 is on sale at Advance Auto this month. There is no reason to look for exotic, designer brand oils for your protections. Just get some really great oil that will serve you well.

Or if you would like a blend you could also add some Synthetic from any of the above family of oils to make up what you need for a full sump.

Sounds like that Rover could handle some good quality oil in the Georgia heat, for plenty of protection....which is what the Diesel oils would give you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jason280
I just picked up a '97 Land Rover Discovery SE, and I am trying to determine which oil to use.

How much oil is the engine leaking onto the ground?

T6 5w-40 can be cheap enough that 2 of the 5 qt jugs will be your 1 oil change + any top off you lose for oil consumption + a little extra next time.

Originally Posted By: Jason280
I just picked up a '97 Land Rover Discovery SE, and I am trying to determine which oil to use. I am not familiar with the vehicles history or maintenance schedule, so I'd like to start of fresh. The engine is a 4.0L V8 with 175k miles, and runs pretty strong. It seems like 5w-40 or 10w-40 is recommended for typical Georgia weather, but I cannot decide between the two. Any recommendations? I am not sure if the previous owners used synthetic or not, so do you think it would be of any benefit to start? I'll likely drive the vehicle less than 3-5k miles a year, mostly around town.

Oh yeah, great thing with this engine, it uses the same filter as my Jeeps! Big difference, though, the oil capacity on the Rover is 7 quarts.

Make sure you change the transmission oils as well as they almost always get left off the service

should be done every 24k or 2 years

I picked up 24 quarts of QSGB 5w-30 & 10w-40 at O'Reilly's for $2/qt. I would monitor how much it leaks/burns then make a decision. At 175k, unless rebuilt the Rover v8 is pretty tired. I would favor more frequent oil changes-3-5k on conventional oil v. synthetic extended drain for the engine.

On my '95 Range Rover I never noticed a difference in running conventional or synthetic. I did have starting issues in +15F running 10w-40, so I switched to 5w30/40 for fall and winter, which made a difference. Only oil that burned 2x as fast for me was Formula Shell. I ran anything that was on sale in that truck.

Im a big fan of using rotella dino or T5. No sense in buying the T6 when I do 3-4k OCI. Ive also had good luck with M1 10w-40 high mileage.

Well, I went ahead and picked up two gallons of Rotella dino 10w-30 for Advance today. They didn't offer 10w-40 in the gallon jugs, and they had the 10w-30 on sale for $11/gal.

My 02 Disco loved the 10W30 Rotella. HAve the HG's been replaced yet? Mine went at 80K You might want to have an anlysis done to check for coolant leak. Very common in this motor. 6 months after my re-seal of the engine I was rear ended and she was totaled. [censored] because she was like new and best of all paid for
smile.gif
Enjoy your Landy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back