Gas Bandit Blocker

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMC

Has anyone seen these around yet? They are availible from Wal-mart at $5 for 2 blockers. Just based on looks and intended design, they seem pretty cool. A simple way to stop simple siphoning without the problems related to locking gas caps. I know the idiots can still cut your filler neck or puncture your gas tank but I think most thiefs, especially in my area, would just move on to the next vehicle if they were unsuccessful with siphoning. Seems like a good investment for 5 bucks.
Just from the looks of it, I can't see how it would cause any problems or interfere with anything. Even the cars that have the little trap doors in the filler necks, those are mostly just to slow down the release of vaoprs if the gas cap is left off the tank. I don't see what would happen even if it did hold that trap door out of the way? Anyways, Tell me what you think of these. Thanks!

www.gasbanditblocker.com

Last edited:
Most cars already have a rollover check valve at the top of the tank. Siphoning would only get the cup or so of fuel from inside the filler hose.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What's to keep them from whipping out a flathead screwdriver and unscrewing it? I'm not seeing the added security here honestly.

Something tells me it probably wouldn't come out as easily as it went in. But for $10 for a conical spring, I'll pass.

I'm sure there's some stealing going on now, but I wonder what the price point per gallon would have to be to really be worried about this.

I need to keep an eye on my children better. The video talks about "gangs of children are often the thieves"? Or better yet, ask them why they aren't bringing me free gas? LOL

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What's to keep them from whipping out a flathead screwdriver and unscrewing it? I'm not seeing the added security here honestly.

The tapered design requires the device to be screwed in until the large (and closed) end of it snaps behind the filler hole and opens up. In other words, the end of the spring has snapped open and expanded BEHIND (or inside, however you want to think of it) the filler hole, making it permanently inaccessible.

They poked a hole in my tank on my truck and got all the gas anyway. Even though its a 2WD, I installed one of those 4X4 tank protectors which is made of 3/16 steel.

A dedicated gas thief will find a way to get gas out of a car/truck. I like a locking gas cap because it's visible security. Then they know it's going to be more than a few seconds to snake a hose down into the tank. If the locker makes my car get passed by for an easier target, it's worthwhile.

Can't wait for more diesel cars to show up. You won't get very far on diesel in a gas motor...

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
They poked a hole in my tank on my truck and got all the gas anyway. Even though its a 2WD, I installed one of those 4X4 tank protectors which is made of 3/16 steel.

Exactly. Fasest and easiest way to drain tank and the thief is less likely to be seen laying under the vehicle.

If gas goes high enough, I'm sure we'll be seeing a fair share of this.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
A dedicated gas thief will find a way to get gas out of a car/truck. I like a locking gas cap because it's visible security. Then they know it's going to be more than a few seconds to snake a hose down into the tank. If the locker makes my car get passed by for an easier target, it's worthwhile.

I agree and I think most crooks would be turned off by the gas bandit after feeling that the siphon tube wont go in after a few tries and then seeing the device inside the filler neck.
Just for fun, I would guess one of these gas bandits, a locking gas cap, off road skid plates for the gas tank, keeping the vehicle stored in a locked area and having a guard dog would be the most "complete" defense to gas theft. lol

That gave me a chuckle. I haven't seen one of those in decades. A version of these anti-siphon springs was available back in the 1970s, after the first gas crisis. A few people had them, they weren't super popular. I suppose they work. I imagine the "patented" part is that you put them in with a screwdriver.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Even the cars that have the little trap doors in the filler necks, those are mostly just to slow down the release of vaoprs if the gas cap is left off the tank.

The little trap doors were installed to stop the trickle fueling of an unleaded fueled car with leaded.

The big leaded nozzles wouldn't penetrate, and the trap doors would back it up and overflow before cat damaging quantities of leaded were added to the tank.

Just for fun, I would guess one of these gas bandits, a locking gas cap, off road skid plates for the gas tank, keeping the vehicle stored in a locked area and having a guard dog would be the most "complete" defense to gas theft.

At this point, it's cheaper to let the thieves have the gas.

Stealing the cat converters is more of a problem here than gas theft. I cant believe how many are stolen, one guy at work was at a flee market for an hour the other day and his was gone.
Sopme fleets in the area are putting metal gaurds under them to at least slow them down.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

The little trap doors were installed to stop the trickle fueling of an unleaded fueled car with leaded.

Really??? My friend's 2007 has a trap door flap? Did it just stick around after being designed for that purpose originally?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Really??? My friend's 2007 has a trap door flap? Did it just stick around after being designed for that purpose originally?

Excellent point. The auto manufacturers could save a few cents per vehicle by eliminating the trap door flap.

Yeah, Oz converted to unleaded in 1987, when leaded cars had open,diesel style filler necks.

They never dropped the doors, and you can't buy leaded...maybe they don't want you filling from jerry cans ? Dunno ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back