Fuel System Cleaner - Interval Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
In both vehicles (see signature), since they were new, I've been using either Techron or Regane every 6,000 miles which has been in synch with 6,000 mile OCIs. After seeing the UOAs from the last fill in each, I'm going to increase the OCI length to 7,500 miles. Would you keep using the fuel additives every 6,000 miles or keep it in synch with the longer OCIs?

Thoughts? Other than that I'm a little OCD about it all.
55.gif

Might as well just do it with the OCIs. Easier to remember.

For very dirty motors, or cars that get lousy gas often, some have said to do it right near the end of the OCI so you don't circulate any garbage that's loosened up for too long.

I add 3 ounces of Techron or Gumout regane to every fill up of 12 to 14 gallons of gasoline. The fuel system cleaner is mixed with 3 ounces of TC-W3 and I add this to the fuel tank from a used Gumout Regane concentrate bottle.

Since I can't get Chevron/Texaco gas in my market area, this additive is dropped into the fuel every fill up. No problems to report....smooth sailing.

Chevron/Texaco sells their gasoline with Techron added to the fuel so I make up my own supplement with a great UCL.

What makes you think you need fuel cleaner? Ethanol is one of the best cleaners there is, and you get it free in your gas.

I have never used these products, and never had any issues even with a fleet of trucks when I owned my business.

I don't buy the so-called "Top Tier" gasoline. IMO....Any gasoline that is sold, could have a lot of impurities and contaminants in it from the distributor to the filling station. Some filling stations don't change their filters on the pumps on a regular basis to trap these contaminants. Who knows what gets into the fuel tank. Adding a fuel system cleaner is just an added precaution, or preventative maintenance, to help in case of having debris clogging a fuel line or injector at a undesirable time. IMO....It might be overkill....but the quality of all gasoline sold is not perfect.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I don't buy the so-called "Top Tier" gasoline. IMO....Any gasoline that is sold, could have a lot of impurities and contaminants in it from the distributor to the filling station. Some filling stations don't change their filters on the pumps on a regular basis to trap these contaminants. Who knows what gets into the fuel tank. Adding a fuel system cleaner is just an added precaution, or preventative maintenance, to help in case of having debris clogging a fuel line or injector at a undesirable time. IMO....It might be overkill....but the quality of all gasoline sold is not perfect.

i heard that gasoline all come from the same lines. So top tier = snot smear.

just something i heard online. i could be wrong but a FI cleaner once in a while won't hurt anything

E85 is an effective cleaner.
E10 does just the opposite and increases deposits when compared to 100% gasoline.

There are different streams when filling a tanker. And, different additives can be added to the streams for the selected stations. TopTier is definitely NOT snot smear.
Afton, Chevron, Lubrizol.... have additive packages that were created for the TopTier standard.

What makes ground beef any worse than filet mignon? It all came from the same cow! Keep thinking like that.

Interval is easiest when it coincides with regular maintenance. So, add it at every OCI or every 2nd OCI to keep it simple.

A fellow NY'er. I don't buy into the top tier B_S either. Especially when you see Shell get a fuel drop, and 5 miles down the road the same tanker is dropping fuel to a no name station. It happens here all the time, add to that what mongo said, and there you have it. I'd add the FI cleaner 500 miles before you change your oil. JMO

What you are talking about above would get caught in your vehicle fuel filter.

Fuel system cleaner is designed to remove gum and varnish deposits that build up over time. Many of them are just Acetone, or ethanol. As mentioned all area gas comes from the same refinery, so top tier is just marketing hype. all fuel I know of comes from the refinery with cleaners added. The oil companies give the additive a special name, but it basically all the same stuff. Its you money, so if it gives you "piece of mind" then I'm all for you using as much as you can afford.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
E85 is an effective cleaner.
E10 does just the opposite and increases deposits when compared to 100% gasoline.

You just confused me! Where do they sell E85? Which cars can take E85? Doesn't E85 have 15% gasoline only?

- Vikas

Tell that to the people who have to get their clogged fuel injectors cleaned and the people who have to replace fuel pumps attributed to the corrosive effects of ethanol. See what these people have to say about not having to use additives or a UCL to their gasoline.

Many of these victims are people who only buy top tier gasoline thinking that they will have no fuel related problems.

I don't think top tier is B.S. marketing. When a tanker has a Shell logo on the side, it delivers fuel only to Shell gas stations.

I've yet to see that same tanker stop by a Kangaroo gas station on the way out of town.
33.gif

I'm sure not ALL stations use the same techniques and or change the filters at the appropriate intervals but i make sure to fill up at the same shell gas station every time. That same gas station has a new check mark every month on the inspection label on the pump. Gives me a good feeling knowing that the pump has been inspected last week.
banana2.gif

I use either Redline fuel cleaner or Amsoil Performance Improver at 10/1 ratio, adding a few OZs at every fill up of roughly 10-11 gallons of Shell 93 Octane. Excellent Gas mileage (higher then EPA rating) and i don't spend a fortune on fuel cleaners to add to the total cost of maintaining my cars.

Its just not needed with today's government standards.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I don't think top tier is B.S. marketing. When a tanker has a Shell logo on the side, it delivers fuel only to Shell gas stations.

I've yet to see that same tanker stop by a Kangaroo gas station on the way out of town.
33.gif

I'm sure not ALL stations use the same techniques and or change the filters at the appropriate intervals but i make sure to fill up at the same shell gas station every time. That same gas station has a new check mark every month on the inspection label on the pump. Gives me a good feeling knowing that the pump has been inspected last week.
banana2.gif

Here's what I said:

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

A fellow NY'er. I don't buy into the top tier B_S either. Especially when you see Shell get a fuel drop, and 5 miles down the road the same tanker is dropping fuel to a no name station.

Maybe a little more of an explanation is due. Shell gets a fuel drop from a tanker with no name on the side, 5 miles down the road the same tanker is dropping fuel to a Kangaroo gas station on the way out of town. It happens many many times here. Maybe Florida is different.

BTW your RL maint dose added to the gas at each fill is a good idea.
thumbsup2.gif
I use either MMO, TCW3 or a mix of MMO and RL FI cleaner in each tank of gas.

I have seen noname tanker dropping fuel at name brand station too many times. Usually, the tanker shows up after 10 pm. I have seen this at least twice.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I have seen noname tanker dropping fuel at name brand station too many times. Usually, the tanker shows up after 10 pm. I have seen this at least twice.

- Vikas

Late at night or early in the morning here. It could be happening during the day as well I don't recall seeing that though. I'll keep it in mind.

Me too!
At 3 or 4 big brand stations throughout our area and yep always late at night.
When i drove the ZO6 i could tell right away who was playing games with regular and premium.More common than you would think.
These crooks figure most of the cars don't really need it anyway so they cash in by serving 87 89 91 and 93 regular
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back