Michelin Primacy MXV4 - bad snow/ice /wet traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its my second winter with these tires on the Accord and I have to say the other name for these tires should be suicide. I had the GY Tripletreds before this and there is simply no comparison. The Michelins are horrible. So horrible that they can't hang on to anything for their dear life even on wet roads, let alone snow and ice. Just moderate acceleration on wet roads would make it spin.
Anyone have similar experience with this tire ?

When I bought my SW2 it had I think just plain jane MXV4's. I didn't want to risk it so I installed a new set of Coopers because I'd heard bad things about those tires. I only drove on them a few days, no adverse conditions. I am no fan of Michelin tires.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow

Nope. Have the exact opposite experience with this tire. What size and speed rating do you have? I have them on my Outback and find they do quite well on everything but ice, which is to be expected for an all-season tire. My folks have them in 225/55/17V on their Outback XT and they perform decently.

One of the better all-seasons I have ever run, and (for what little it is worth) Consumer Reports rated them #1 in their testing, and they have good ratings on Tire Rack and other sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm right with HollowEyes. We have a set of 235/60R17s on our VUE and couldn't be happier. We had a lot of snow this past winter here in Michigan and they did great. We're about to do a 1,500 mile road trip and I'm looking forward to the quiet and comfortable ride that they provide.

If you look at the survey ratings on TireRack.com (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS) they rank #2.

I suppose both the Outback and Vue are AWD ? I dont think it would be best to judge the snow/ice traction of a tire on an awd vehicle. I'd imagine the awd system would just kick in much sooner and more often and would mask the weakness of the tire ?
The vehicle they are on right now does not have any kind of traction management.

Last edited:
again, isn't VSA (aka "Vehicle Stability Assist with Traction Control") standard on all new accords now ?

True the Outback is AWD, but I have been able to tell a lot of difference in tires.

Potenzo G009: loud and terrible in snow/slush/ice.
Uniroyal TigerPaws: Mediocre all around.
Goodyear TripleTred: Good initially, poor wearing with sharply decreasing traction.
Primacy MXV4: Quiet and predictable.

Every objective test of the Primacy MXV4 demonstrates very good wet traction. CR reports very good all season traction also, but I take that with a grain of salt because I don't think their wet traction testing is all that comprehensive.

I suppose both the Outback and Vue are AWD?

Our VUE is not AWD; it's just front-wheel drive. And the 5+ million miles in the TireRack.com survey ratings certainly aren't all on AWD vehicles.

Its my second winter with these tires on the Accord and I have to say the other name for these tires should be suicide. I had the GY Tripletreds before this and there is simply no comparison. The Michelins are horrible. So horrible that they can't hang on to anything for their dear life even on wet roads, let alone snow and ice. Just moderate acceleration on wet roads would make it spin.

I had MXV4s a decade ago and while they weren't as good as winter tires in the snow they weren't suicide.

What's the date code on your sidewalls? If you were sold a set of old tires and you were unaware, you'll have seriously compromised wet and winter traction.

We live in NC but had a pretty big snow this year. With the primacy, my volvo s60 was like a snow mobile. I was very pleased with the performance.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Every objective test of the Primacy MXV4 demonstrates very good wet traction. CR reports very good all season traction also, but I take that with a grain of salt because I don't think their wet traction testing is all that comprehensive.

Yeah, really!
I have the CR article and these Primacy MXV4's are supposed to be great!

But, I have had Accord's in the past(4 cyls) and they themselves were the worst FWD car for winte driving I have ever owned and seriously needed good tires to handle the task. So, it could be a combonation of a bad set of PrimacyMXV4's and the Accord all together.

Because as stated by others, most people are very satisfied with the Primacy's as well as their Accords. I have read this too with Civic's as being a poor winter vehicle just on it's own but with 4 snow, it's an animal. I think that Honda's are great cars although expensive but, all of the Honda's that I have owned weren't all that great in the snow without making sure that you had some serious tires even if they're really good A/S tires!

I think that is just the nature of being a HONDA FWD!
Other than driving 4WD, the best FWD vehicles that I have ever driven in the snow were GM FWD with cast iron V6's...Lumina, GrandPrix, LeSabre etc. Most of these GM cars were equiped w/BFG TouringTA's...Animals I tell ya!

I think that for the OP's Accord, the Primacy MXV 4's may be an excellent 3 season tire but, may need dedicated winter snow/ice tires for the Accord and MN winters...Just my .02cents!

Last edited:
I have michelin primacy mxv4. It is good in the light snow. tires last me 56,000 miles. I will buy michelin primacy again.

No, I've had exactly the opposite experience. I'm in Seattle, so I'm driving in rain or standing water 5...errr....7 months a year, and they've been great.

I've been over the pass a couple of time in snow with them, and have been on compact snow and ice--no problems there either. I can't remember which Pirelli's were OEM on my car, but these tires are worlds better on slick roads. My car is AWD (Haldex), so that probably helps. Still, they're way better than the OEM tires.

As a last note, it looks like I'll probably get about 90K miles out of them, which seems crazy to me.

My favorite tires.
I've bought 4 sets on different vehicles.Great tire for comfort,noise,traction etc.

This whole thread demonstrates that opinions vary.
The Primacy MXV4s on my '99 Accord just went through their second winter, and I was perfectly happy with them in all conditions. Wet grip remains good as well.
I have to do 100 miles each way every other week now, and the tires are quiet and comfortable on the interstate at speeds well above the posted limit.
I have always found Hondas to be good winter cars, easy to drive through snow deep enough that things underneath drag through the snow.
We had four Hondas prior to the two we have now, going back to our first, a '76 Civic CVCC hatch, on 12" Michelin XZXs, and I've always found both Michelin tires and Honda cars to be good in the snow.

I beleive you!
smile.gif

I was just saying that I have had better FWD cars in the winter time than Honda's as other have also complained. My Hondas were better in the winter time than any RWD car that I ever owned and too, the Honda's were fine with good name brand A/S tires but not with private label tires. And many of my other FWD cars did well/better in the winter time with cheap-o tires than did the Honda's. Overall, my Honda's were fine in the winter as long as the tires of a higher quality.

I have had FWD cars that you could run anything on them and thay went through the snow like an animal. Weight bias? FWD cast iron V6? Maybe!

My buddys Lumina cast iron V6 was better in the snow than our other buddys' Intrepid aluminum V6 both using the exact same brand/model tires/size. As the matter of fact, they went together to buy them 225-60-16 BFG's. The Intrepid was as nicer car to drive overall but, not in the snow!

fdcg27, I beleive you!
smile.gif

I was just saying that I have had better FWD cars in the winter time than Honda's(love Honda's) as other have also complained. My Hondas were better in the winter time than any RWD car that I ever owned and too, the Honda's were fine with good name brand A/S tires but not with private label tires. And many of my other FWD cars did well/better in the winter time with cheap-o tires than did the Honda's. Overall, my Honda's were fine and didn't suck in the winter as long as the tires of a higher quality.

I have had FWD cars that you could run anything cheap on them and thay went through the snow like an animal. Weight bias? FWD cast iron V6? Maybe!

My buddys Lumina cast iron V6 was better in the snow than our other buddys' Intrepid aluminum V6 both using the exact same brand/model tires/size. As the matter of fact, they went together to buy them 225-60-16 BFG's something or another TA's. The Intrepid was as nicer car to drive overall but, not in the snow and too, the Intrepid didn't suck in the snow either, it just wasn't as good as the Lumina!

Sorry for the double post. My computer was acting weird as I was trying to edit. Then, it timed out before I could delete the other. The second post is the one to read with the edited material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back