$13.99 oil change -

Status
Not open for further replies.
An oil change at this price has got to be the cheapest bulk oil available and a cheap filter. Or maybe they do it at a loss trying to get you to buy extra services. Even if the oil and filter are free, the time involved would be more than $13.99. I think I will pass.

Especially in NY where it seems most everything is more expensive. I'll bet they get you for $10 in shop supplies and a $5 enviro charge. Then they hit you for $40 for a new air filter that you never authorized being changed.

My wife loves the saying "if its too good to be true then it usually is"

Originally Posted By: Donald
Or maybe they do it at a loss trying to get you to buy extra services.

That's hitting the nail on the head. I got one of those el-cheapo oil changes back when I got my Buick and needed to get 3 year old short-trip only motor oil out of the engine during a 10*F day. They attempted to upsell me on any/every fluid change imaginable. Granted the car did actually need all those fluids changed, but not to the tune of $500 for everything. $150 coolant flush, $99 brake flush, $150 ATF flush, and a $99 PS flush. I did all that myself later for far less.

It's a good deal for sprucing up an older neglected car. And the techs going over it with a fine-tooth comb will usually alert you to what it needs.

A GMC and Buick dealer in Rogers, Arkansas offers a $9.95 oil and filter change on their billboards. I don't know anything about the type of oil and filter but it must be done at a loss to the dealer. I would guess it is to get people to go into the dealer.

I once stopped into a Toyota dealer to get a Tachoma catalog and my wife and I saw a used S2000 Honda convert. We test drove it and bought it on the spot. I have heard lots of stories of people taking their vehicles in for service to a dealer and trading for a new one.

The super cheap oil change deals are usually in place to get more customers to come into the shop, sign some papers, provide their billing address / emails so the shop can later send you coupons for various deals to - GET YOU TO COME BACK!

Originally Posted By: Donald
An oil change at this price has got to be the cheapest bulk oil available and a cheap filter. Or maybe they do it at a loss trying to get you to buy extra services. Even if the oil and filter are free, the time involved would be more than $13.99. I think I will pass.

+1 I will also pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back