Bikes wihout a center stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it hard to adjust the chain on a bike with no center stand? My bike has one, and I find it a handy thing to have, but most cruiser bikes do not have this.

Do many people buy rear wheel stands to do this on cruiser bikes?

I had one for my United Motors sportbike.

I wouldn't think it'd be necessary to have the rear wheel off the ground while adjusting the chain - the required movement would be minimal.

But yeah, I put my bike on a motorcycle lift whenever cleaning/lubing the chain since this requires rotation of the wheel. Alternatively, I've seen at HF those little rollers that you slip under the rear wheel, but I tried it and didn't like it much... it was still rather difficult to turn the rear wheel.

Hi.

It is impossible to do so without a center stand. All sportbikes today have a sidestand, so to adjust or service the chain, a rear swingarm/spool stand needs to be used to center the bike and lift the rear wheel off the ground evenly. This is also important for chain alignment too. Some bikes, such as some models from Ducati, have a single sided swingarm that does not require alignment, because there is only one side. It is possible to chain the wheels without a stand on these bikes.

I have both a lift and wheel stand. The lift is the way to go. Trying to use a wheel stand to adjust the chain will be tricky considering the wheel stand is holding the rear wheel off of the ground by propping up the axle. The wheel stand works fine for cleaning/lubing.

Dual purpose and dirt bikes have a strong stand in the centre of the bike,near the swing arm pivot - it's easy just to pull the bike over to get most of the weight off the wheel and check the chain.

Thanks guys. Good to keep these things in mind when considering a new machine. Most bikes I've owned have had a center stand.

I don't think having the tire on the ground would be good for the adjustment nut for chain slack.

When I was on the road and needed a chain adjustment. I'd look for a competent good fella to hold the bike on the stand while I adjusted the chain.

Either a center stand or a rear stand, I cant imagine the agony of cleaning the chain without one.

Quote:

Either a center stand or a rear stand, I cant imagine the agony of cleaning the chain without one.

It can be done - just move the bike up a few feet at a time, about 3 times. Guess I won't have to worry about that because I decided to keep my Kawi, which has a center stand.

The manual of my Vulcan (only a side stand) specifically says to adjust the chain while the bike is on the side stand and tire on the ground. Otherwise, if you lift the rear wheel, the suspension gets off loaded and the chain tension is not the same as when riding with loaded suspension.

One of my bikes is a 2010 Honda Shadow RS which has no center stand. The Owner's Manual AND the Factory Shop Manual both state clearly to adjust the chain to "specs", do it with the bike on the on the SIDE STAND.

Earlier post that stated if you put the bike on a lift you change the suspension travel/dimensions is correct. You *could* adjust it on a center stand or lift, but you would need to correct for the additional swing arm angle change.
i.e. the movement limits would NOT be the same as if it were on the SIDE stand.

Lubing a chain with out a center stand or lift is not hard, but it is more of a pain, for sure. I have a bike lift and it is much easier to just sit there, spin the wheel/chain and spray the lube on it, rather than rolling it, spraying, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back