Napa Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an old Napa Silver laying around, and thought I would cut it open. Pretty nice construction, if you ask me. Kind of Purolator like? I like the metal tube that holds the ADBV in place under spring pressure.

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

They are made by Wix...same company as the NAPA Gold, but a cheaper design. Media is usually thinner, and the bypass isn't as good, in my opinion. Good filter for the money, but now they changed to a combination anti-drainback and bypass valve made of nitrile or something that I don't like.

Thanks for the pictures.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
... they changed to a combination anti-drainback and bypass valve made of nitrile or something that I don't like.

Is this filter using the combo bypass/ADBV valve?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... they changed to a combination anti-drainback and bypass valve made of nitrile or something that I don't like.

Is this filter using the combo bypass/ADBV valve?

Zee, I'm not sure I understand the question, so I'll answer it this way: The new Napa ProSelect has the combination adbv/bypass, but the old Napa Silver didn't. In the pics above, the orange dot is the top of a spring-loaded bypass. I'm not excited about the ProSelect, I'd rather have a Napa Silver, but, alas, it is no more.

Stelth - got ya. Yeah, I don't like these rubber combo valves showing up either. Plan on buying any filters with them.

Like river said they now use the combo valve,strike 1, second it has very thin media,strike 2.

i would pass on this filter or run her 3k tops IMO,i've dissected many of these NPS not impressed at all in my findings.

Originally Posted By: daman
...i would pass on this filter or run her 3k tops IMO,i've dissected many of these NPS not impressed at all in my findings.

I'm not impressed anymore either. I used to think they were pretty good for the money until the changes.

Originally Posted By: daman
...i would pass on this filter or run her 3k tops IMO,i've dissected many of these NPS not impressed at all in my findings.

I used to think they were pretty good for the money until the changes.

Same here, i used a few when i first got my FORD tractor and was doing some engine flushes and just didn't like what i saw with only 5-10 hrs on the filter.

The NAPA Silver oil filter is one of a two filters(Puro Classic is the other) that actually helps prevent the cold start up rattle in my 04 Altima 2.5 S.

I have tired ST, PureOne, Nissan, FRAM and the start up rattle still persisted. Although I haven't tried these filter in a while, I can't tell if they might work well these days.

I was experiencing lots of rattle with many filters when the car was new and it wasn't til I started using the NAPA Silver and Puro Classic that the start up rattle when cold had disapeared.

Not sure if Purolator actually made any changes from the Premium Plus to the Classic but the start up rattle is much better so, I'm sticking with it as they are always available, I don't have to travel to a NAPA which is inconvienient with limited hours that they're open and too, the Puro is priced well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back