Gun Shop Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here besides myself have a good relationship with their gun shop? I go to 2 different gun shops and they all know me pretty well. My main store I will tell you right now Im their most regular customer. They get a ton of looky loos and when I come in its business and they know that when I come in Im looking to buy and not B.S (of course Ill shoot the breeze while Im there). They know exactly what I want (surplus bolt actions) and everytime they get one in they call me before they put it on the wall. And would you know it I live down the street from them. Luckily they dont get many in or Id be really broke but when they do I do buy a majority of them. The Mosin Nagant 91/30 I got from them yesterday they wanted to list it for $150 but because they like my business sooo much they cut me a break at $110 with tax, like they do with every purchase I make. I got a steal on that rifle! 1926 Izzy 91/30 convert with a hex receiver as well as the accessory goodies that came with it. Just curious to know how you guys do your business.

Last edited:
The gunshop I go to is amazing. You start at the back of the shop and it goes around the room by caliber starting with .22's. Special areas for shotguns, cowbuy guns and surplus guns in the center of the large room. Tactical guns in a special area over on the side. No pressure to buy, They even give you free soft drinks. Great people to talk to. Great male bonding!

I have one shop like that. The owner is a crusty/cranky guy anyway, plus he has been in the business long enough to be sick of it so he isn't the most charming of hosts! Lots of people complain about him, but lots of people go there too, because he has the best prices around. People put up with it to save a buck.
After about a year after moving back here, I had bought enough that we were old pals. I was buying and trading like crazy then and he practically welcomed me with open arms. He really is a good guy once you get past the crust.

In the mid-90s, business was really good so he could afford to be that way. If he drove off a couple of customers for good every hour, he didn't care. There were plenty more to step up and buy. "I don't care. Somebody'll buy it."
Then things got tight, beginning when road construction made the place nearly impossible to access. By the time the road was fixed, the economy was sinking.
He softened up a bit then, but it took a while.

Originally Posted By: BarryinIN
I have one shop like that. The owner is a crusty/cranky guy anyway, plus he has been in the business long enough to be sick of it so he isn't the most charming of hosts! Lots of people complain about him, but lots of people go there too, because he has the best prices around. People put up with it to save a buck.
After about a year after moving back here, I had bought enough that we were old pals. I was buying and trading like crazy then and he practically welcomed me with open arms. He really is a good guy once you get past the crust.

In the mid-90s, business was really good so he could afford to be that way. If he drove off a couple of customers for good every hour, he didn't care. There were plenty more to step up and buy. "I don't care. Somebody'll buy it."
Then things got tight, beginning when road construction made the place nearly impossible to access. By the time the road was fixed, the economy was sinking.
He softened up a bit then, but it took a while.

Where is this guy located? I have gone to two gun shops in Indy (Popguns and Don's Guns) and these are not the most pleasant places to go. The only place I feel like a welcome customer are Gander Mountain stores but they usually do not have the things I need.

The smaller the shop is around here, the friendlier and more welcome the shop is.

I avoid the 'biggest' shop in RI since they have variable pricing, and like a bad car dealership, don't make the purchase experience positive.

The smaller shops are more direct and honest.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Does anyone here besides myself have a good relationship with their gun shop? I go to 2 different gun shops and they all know me pretty well. My main store I will tell you right now Im their most regular customer. They get a ton of looky loos and when I come in its business and they know that when I come in Im looking to buy and not B.S (of course Ill shoot the breeze while Im there). They know exactly what I want (surplus bolt actions) and everytime they get one in they call me before they put it on the wall. And would you know it I live down the street from them. Luckily they dont get many in or Id be really broke but when they do I do buy a majority of them. The Mosin Nagant 91/30 I got from them yesterday they wanted to list it for $150 but because they like my business sooo much they cut me a break at $110 with tax, like they do with every purchase I make. I got a steal on that rifle! 1926 Izzy 91/30 convert with a hex receiver as well as the accessory goodies that came with it. Just curious to know how you guys do your business.

PICTURES.

Some bolt actions from your collection?

Without pics.....it never happened.

I have one local tiny place that's really cool (Mary's pistols), surplus ammo and arms that has cheap ammo and other stuffs, then the other 2 locals are a bit more spendy, customer service is hit and miss.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama

PICTURES.

Some bolt actions from your collection?

Without pics.....it never happened.

I can get some of those going. That was my plan today.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Buy a lot of anything and they get to like you.

+1. I spend almost nothing on guns anymore. I have my bro-in-law looking for a couple of things. He finds good deals..who knows where.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Where is this guy located? I have gone to two gun shops in Indy (Popguns and Don's Guns) and these are not the most pleasant places to go. The only place I feel like a welcome customer are Gander Mountain stores but they usually do not have the things I need.

Plainfield Shooting Supplies.
He really is a good guy once he knows you aren't just a tire kicker. After 25+ years at it, a person's tolerance would be used up.
I know there are gun shops whose counter help will try your patience, but I see both side. After some of the things I've seen and heard from customers, I wouldn't last a week behind the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back