1st bike- How about '85 Honda V30 Magna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great bike hunt contnues. I keep adding possible models, mostly larger, such as the shaft-drive Kaw 750 Vulcans, & moving the acceptable date farther back. Most things I find are far away(~240-400 miles one way!), junk, or gone before I can do anything. Example: a nice Yamaha adv at $1400 by private seller in Central Ark is now adv by dealer at $2300!

Night nefore last spotted ad for a Honda V30 Magna, 500cc V-4 water cooled, 6-speed, chain drive- so I researched the model & found it was fairly rare- 84 & 85 only for the Magna cruiser. Wel thought of generally, *fast* for its displacement, reliable overall(camshaft troubles seem to be mostly for larger Honda V4s). There's one about 290 miles away, and another about 140 mies away. The close one has ~7700 miles on it, is nice shspe(no dents wrecks etc) according to owner, is black & chrome, & asking price is $1200. Curbweight in the mid-400s, has windshield & sissy bar, might be a contender. A *Strong* contender, as in fill up the Dakota, hitch up the trailer, & go.

I've read of camshaft troubles with the 1980s Honda V4s, but they seem to be almost all in the larger 750cc & 1100cc versions. Chains sem to wear out kinda soon, but chains & sprockets re cheaper & esier to replace than drive shafts or belt drives. This particular bike sounds like an oldie but a goodie.

Should I stay away & forget it, or investigate further?

yes YES YES!

Love musclebikes! The V30 Magna is no exception. The camshaft troubles seemed more prevalent in the VF500F Interceptors but may effect the VF500C also. My friend had one back in the '80s and it's V4 was still as quick as my GPz550 with 20,000+ miles.
Front end doesn't feel as planted as the L4 GPz but would handle real well. Way WAY quicker and faster than an 883 Harley or just about any current sub-1000 cc cruiser.

I also like the Kawasaki 454 LTD from that era. Only a smidge slower than the V30 and much easier to maintain

Where exactly are you? You can't be more than 150 miles away from Dallas metro area. Ton of bikes on craigslist there, including Vulcan 500.
smile.gif

the V30 is a good choice. Fast enough that you won't tire of it quickly.
The cam problem was mostly on the V65 and some high mileage V45s. Haven't heard of it showing up on the V30. You can improve the chances of it staying away by using a good quality synthetic oil and change it with short OCIs.

The mid eighties Hondas are good bikes. I had a 1985 VT500c Shadow that I bought for $700, cleaned it up a bit, rode for two seasons, and sold for $1400. Shaft drive was smooth and maintenance free. The Kawasaki 454 LTD is also well regarded as a good "introductory" type cruiser.
49.gif

Does the Magna fit you?

We wary of the shaft drive bikes. Many need the shaft removed and the splines lubed. My local indie mechanic had a fairly new Suzuki M50 on his rack with the dry shaft out & rusted and damaged splines--good teaspoon of dry rust powder came out. An hour's work to remove/clean/lube/replace the shaft would have saved this $600 job.

The Honda V30 Magna(500cc) is chain drive, so no never-greased driveshaft worries with it.

The Kawasaki *454* LTD? Four Fifty *FOUR*?!?! I've been looking for the wrong thing, a 450.
33.gif
There's an old ad for a 454 LTD about 80 miles away, haven't spoken with seller yet- probably gone, maybe not. The Kawasaki would have the advantages of belt drive over chain, half the cylinders = half the valves to set, & gravity feed over the Honda's 2-part gas tank & fuel pump.

The other Honda V30 is twice the distance & $400 more, but has spare parts to go with it & is that gorgeous dark red color. Haven't spoken with that seller yet either, hard to get today.

Thanks for the input & advice guys. When/if I do get something, I *will* post pix.

Had a buddy who owned a Kawasaki 454 LTD. It was a buzzing little anvil. Handle bar vibration at highway speed was unbearable. Maybe it was just his bike. I don't know.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Had a buddy who owned a Kawasaki 454 LTD. It was a buzzing little anvil. Handle bar vibration at highway speed was unbearable. Maybe it was just his bike. I don't know.

That's odd. There is some low engine speed vibration, just like an EX500 Ninja or a 500 Vulcan (same engine). But at freeway speed it was fine. Certainly smoother than a Shadow VLX.

Sure it wasn't a 440 LTD? Bulletproof but buzzy...and downright slow compared to the 454.

Scariest bike I've ever ridden was a V65 Magna. Blinding fast, handled like a toilet, macho as heck, and an absolute blast on a straight road. A friend had a V30 & loved it. If it fits you, go for it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lost1
Scariest bike I've ever ridden was a V65 Magna. Blinding fast, handled like a toilet, macho as heck, and an absolute blast on a straight road. A friend had a V30 & loved it. If it fits you, go for it!

The GPz750 Turbo was scarier. The one I rode had the wastegate modded. It had a skinny 120 or maybe 130 wide 18" tire on the back. The engine would rip it loose in a heartbeat. If it did hook up, it was as if God Himself grabbed the front wheel and lifted it straight up. Prodigious torque production had significantly increased the swingarm bushing play, the headset was questionable, the forks felt like the owner had about 60psi in them (air-forks are so '80s) and the Featherbed frame was probably flexible as pipe-cleaners.

It was terrifying in a straight line and dangerous in a corner.

The V65 was a Aspencade by comparison ...a very powerful Aspencade, but smooth and easy riding

If you are used to an inline-4 hanging the bulk of it's weight right behind the front tire, the V-4 Honda's front tire can feel a bit spooky. All the V-4 Hondas I've ever ridden were like that. Interceptors and Sabres too. I would imagine the Suzuki Maduras were similar. It feels eerie in a corner but it sticks fine.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

If you are used to an inline-4 hanging the bulk of it's weight right behind the front tire, the V-4 Honda's front tire can feel a bit spooky. All the V-4 Hondas I've ever ridden were like that. Interceptors and Sabres too. I would imagine the Suzuki Maduras were similar. It feels eerie in a corner but it sticks fine.

Yep- I was used to the inline 4 on the Japanese Standards. I had a '93 GSX1100G (Gixxer motor tuned to the midrange) that handled fairly well (for a 650 lb shaft drive standard) and pulled like a rocket from the basement to redline. Comfort & handling would blow the V65 away, but on a straightaway I think the Magna would've taken it- IF the front end could be kept on the ground...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Prodigious torque production had significantly increased the swingarm bushing play, the headset was questionable, the forks felt like the owner had about 60psi in them (air-forks are so '80s) and the Featherbed frame was probably flexible as pipe-cleaners.

It was terrifying in a straight line and dangerous in a corner.

Never rode one, and by the sound of it I'm glad, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back