Seeking Better Wearing Motorcyle Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Metzeler Sportec M1 tires were supposedly new when I bought the bike last May 1, and I was told today that the rear tire will need replacing in 300 to 500 miles, which will only be about 4,000 miles on the tire, and I don't ride hard. I used to get 2 or 3 years out of rear tires, it seems.

I don't know but I think I may get something other than Metzeler, which may be a little pricier than I need.

Any suggestions on what tires will wear good? Not looking for high performance, I just don't want to have to pay for a new rear tire every year.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My $45 Shinkyo rear shows nil wear after 2k of easy riding.

I would not trust my life on those. I watched the shinkyo rear tire of my friends' Gixxer shred to pieces just normally riding.

Anyways, to the OP. Look at the line of tires that Michelin offers. Depending on what size you need, you can get a set of Michelin Pilot Power for around $250 installed. It is a great wearing tire, great grip and even in the rain.

I've ridden Bridgestone, Pirelli and Dunlop and Metz, with Dunlop being the worse, then Pirelli, Bridgestone and Metz. Michaelin Pilot series was by the far the best.

EDIT: http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotroad3

Last edited:
A dual-compound tire would be a better choice for wear resistance without sacrificing grip. Something like the Michelin Pilot Road2, or Pilot Road 3, would be ideal. They are "sport touring" tires, and have longer lasting mid-tread compounds for just such use. When you're leaned over in a corner, you have higher grip "performance" tire compounds providing additional security. The end result is a tire that wears much more evenly.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
Typically, higher performance equals faster wear....and expense.

If you don't race 'em, you don't need 'em.

Yep.

Try a "Sport Touring" tire. Little harder rubber and better mileage on the tire.

I like the Bridgestones or the Dunlop Elite III's.
Bridgestone Link
To the original poster:
Is your front a 120/70ZR17 and 160/60ZR17 rear?

Here's a short search for the rear tire at one of my favorite tire-buying sites. You can go to the manufacturer's website and see what they say about the characteristics of their tires. I've found some to be very helpful.

Rear tire selection link

Last edited:
Dunlop Roadsmart. I had really good luck with them, they lasted almost 11,000 miles on my F800S. I'm working with Michelin PR3 now, just because they are new, and they look like they will be stellar when it is really cold and wet. Wouldn't hesitate to use the Roadsmarts again, they were exceptional.

Was reading on a Honda shadow forum that people get great milage out of :

Metzeler 880s

Dunlop 404 and 555

Avon Venom

Some say they get 20,000 miles out of these tires. I didn't hear of anyone that only got 4000 miles out of them. Maybe my rear tire was not new when I got the bike, is also a possibility. Either that or someone did a lot of burnouts on it, which I doubt.

I hear a lot of good things about the 880s and Venom.
My wife's bike has Maxxis (front & rear) and they look barely worn half way with 7k on them.

Dunlop Roadsmart looks like a good tire. If I can get 10,000 or 12,000 miles out of it, I think I'd be OK with that.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Dunlop Roadsmart looks like a good tire. If I can get 10,000 or 12,000 miles out of it, I think I'd be OK with that.

My bike has the M3 Dunnys and they seem to be consistantly good for 10K-12K...

I usually look only at brand-name Japanese or European tires (Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli).

And sport/performance tires are softer, so they wear faster.

The Michelin Pilot Road 2 or the new 3's are a great sport touring tire that gets a lot of good reviews. I wouldn't go to too hard of a compound, or to a cheap brand.

I have 20,000 km on a set of Bridgestone BT016. Reasonably priced dual compound tire for street/track.
Oddly these tires seem to wear evenly front and back, while most other models the front usually last 2 or 3 rears before it needs changing.
I'm almost due for new tires, and have my eye on the Michelin Pilot Road 2.

Originally Posted By: silvert4r
I have 20,000 km on a set of Bridgestone BT016. Reasonably priced dual compound tire for street/track.
Oddly these tires seem to wear evenly front and back, while most other models the front usually last 2 or 3 rears before it needs changing.
I'm almost due for new tires, and have my eye on the Michelin Pilot Road 2.

20,000 km = 12,427 miles. I think I'd be satisfied with that kind of mileage out of a rear tire.

I'll also see what the cycle shop has to suggest. I think he carries Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Michelin. Sounds to me that these three brands would be a good place to start. Thanks for the suggestions.
smile.gif

The brand is important of course, but the purpose the tire is built/designed for it also very important.
A race type tire isn't going to last long. A sports touring tire will do much better. A touring tire will do even better.
It depends on how you drive as well.
Pushing the limits will wear out any tire; casual easy riding will get good life out of a good treat compound.

I currently have a set of Avon Azaros. I don't know exactly how mamy miles I got out of them, but they have lasted two years. I ride year around. My bike weighs 550 lbs and they handle great. They are not the very soft aportbike tire, they are in the sport touring catagory. I just ordered a set of the newest version-Avon Storm 2 Ultra.

My bike came with Bridgestone Exedras. I did not like them. I have also had a set of Dunlop D205s which i did like. Lots of good choices.

How often do you check tire pressure? Go to your manual and start with those figures. Too high or too low will wear out a tire faster than anything. Check tire pressures every time you get on your bike, your life depends on it.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back