*NEW* tire from General Tire, A/S, G-Max AS-03

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty excited about this new tire, in fact, I have been waiting for a high-performance all-season from General. They make good tires at a reasonable price.

It's new, so, we don't have any reviews yet. I'll take the plunge and get it for my next set, and I'll be one of the early reviewers.
ge_gmax_as03_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-Max+AS-03

Good Treadlife Warranty: 6 Years / 40,000 Miles (40K is decent)

UPDATE: unfortunately, they don't make one for 15 inch wheels....sigh....

Last edited:
Interesting, the sidewall looks a lot like the Continental DWS...

in fact, since Continental bought General, I think this is a very similar tire to the DWS... maybe.
co_xtrcontactdws_ci2_l.jpg

Originally Posted By: mareakin

in fact, since Continental bought General, I think this is a very similar tire to the DWS... maybe.

Based on the sidewall?

Really?

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy
well... they both have a sidewall

Yeah. In my experience, tires with sidewalls work much better.

I like Generals a lot too.
Been very happy with the couple sets I have owned from them.
I think they are my value tire brand of choice actually.

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Based on the sidewall?

Really?
LOL.

Some reviews:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-report/tire-review-general-tire-g-max-as-03
http://www.motortrend.com/womt/1103_general_tire_gmax_as_03/index.html

Heh, I wasn't expecting to inspire a following.
lol.gif

There are some very good General tires. I've used a couple of different models and I am currently running a set of Grabbers on the Raider. I'd be surprised if this model didn't turn out to be a leader in its category.

The VAI's on the tire shoulders are something that comes from Continental's commercial tire products. They're something that makes you think, "Now why didn't someone think of this before?". I also rate Continental tires highly. I've run them for many, many years. Long enough that the only way I could originally get them was by special order. "What the heck is a Continental?", was not an unusual question for me to field.

rshunter,

What are your thoughts on the Grabbers? I've been looking at this tire for quite sometime. It's going on my Colorado as soon as the [censored] GY's wear out (hopefully by fall this year).

BTW, I'm a big fan of General Tires now days. I put a set of the Exclaim UHP's on my 05 Mazda3 hatch about a year before I sold it. I absolutely loved them. They were so much better (night/day) than the Kuhmo Ecsta's that they replaced. I also had my mother put on the Altimax HP's on her 07 Solara and they are performing very well. Bang for your buck, it doesn't get much better than General Tires these days.

I had Grabbers on a Bronco and they were great in the snow and wet. I always carried chains but even in over a foot of snow I never needed them.

I shopped them first when I was looking for new tires for the 530i but they didn't seem to have anything in my size. It's a shame but I'm happy with the Michelin Pilot Exaltos so far.

Originally Posted By: mshu7
rshunter,

What are your thoughts on the Grabbers? I've been looking at this tire for quite sometime. It's going on my Colorado as soon as the [censored] GY's wear out (hopefully by fall this year).

I'm running the Grabber HTS, in 265/70-16, on the Raider. I've had them on the truck since last summer so they've seen everything. So far, I can't come up with a negative comment. Excellent grip, whether wet, dry, deep snow, slush or ice. The Raider has a limited-slip with a 3.92 ratio, which helps with the grip but also allows me to break 'em loose when I want to. When I've deliberately spun them, in the snow and ice, they very quickly regain grip. They've never given me one of those, "Oh, shyte!!!" moments. Despite the fact that we've just had one of our worst winters on record and I'm often on the road when no one else dares to be out. If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd buy them again without a moments hesitation.

I also had Goodyear tires before making the switch to General. They were the Wrangler RT/S model. I had two tires badly damaged by, I believe, one of those steel plates that they place on the road to cover holes during construction work. It resulted in a blowout of my right-rear tire, at speed on the Interstate, and deep vertical cuts in the sidewall of the right-front tire. To be honest, that was probably the first time I've ever been glad to see a set of tires with plenty of tread-life left need to be replaced. I had already been contemplating replacing them, this incident just gave me an excuse of necessity.

How ironic! I'm currently riding on Wrangler RT/S's that my father put on the truck while he owned it. I believe he put them on around 50K miles and I'm at 105K now and I can't wait to replace them. I have nothing positive to say about them at all. If I liked them, I'd say treadwear but it's ticking me off that they are lasting this long...hehe!

I've currently got the GY's on the stock Z71 wheels so they are 265/75-15. When I replace them, I'm going to get some basic black wheels and upgrade to a 31X10.5R15.

Thanks for the input on the Grabbers. It reassures me that I'm selecting the right tire.

Last edited:
My 2002 F-150 came new with General Grabber A/S in a 255-70-16 size. They were great on dry roads, rode relatively quietly, but slippery on wet roads and useless in the snow & ice. I replaced them at 15,000 miles with Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Much better tires all around! I just replaced the Dueler's with the newer design BFG Long Trail T/A Tour. I'm getting the same snow performance, quieter/smoother ride and better wet road control and at a lower cost than the Dueler's. The Duelers "wore out" by 30,000 miles. I rotated them every 5,000 miles and kept them properly inflated. My driving is in NJ on rural secondary highways and rural local non-city roads. Granted they were 8 years old but I'm still surprised they wore out in 30,000 miles of easy driving.

Whimsey

I like General. I like General a lot. However, the A/T2's do NOT do well in mud. Just so you know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HWEaton
I like General. I like General a lot. However, the A/T2's do NOT do well in mud. Just so you know.

Yeah, as far as all-terrain tires, the Grabber A/T2 wouldn't be among the tires at the top of my list. Though if I was expecting any serious use in mud, I'd definitely be looking at a mud-terrain tire. The all-terrain designs, in general, aren't well suited for anything more than occasional incidental use in mud. There are a few exceptions however, such as the Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T which has received some excellent reviews.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
My 2002 F-150 came new with General Grabber A/S in a 255-70-16 size. They were great on dry roads, rode relatively quietly, but slippery on wet roads and useless in the snow & ice. I replaced them at 15,000 miles with Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Much better tires all around! I just replaced the Dueler's with the newer design BFG Long Trail T/A Tour. I'm getting the same snow performance, quieter/smoother ride and better wet road control and at a lower cost than the Dueler's. The Duelers "wore out" by 30,000 miles. I rotated them every 5,000 miles and kept them properly inflated. My driving is in NJ on rural secondary highways and rural local non-city roads. Granted they were 8 years old but I'm still surprised they wore out in 30,000 miles of easy driving.

Whimsey

The Grabber A/S you are referring to aren't the same ones we are talking about. Sounds like it was an OEM General Grabber, which would understandably not get positive reviews (I've never been a fan of OEM tires).

alot of new tires are much better than 10 year old oems..

i hated my gy rt/s that came on my ranger with a passion.

they also sounded like mud boggers from irregular wear.

(rotated once at 8k, ditched them at 15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back