Magnafilter & Magnefine

Status
Not open for further replies.
A rep from Boss stopped by my dealer about a week ago, with some samples of their Magnafilter magnetic filter attachments, and the Magnefine inline transmission and powersteering filters.

Very nice guy, had a binder full of testing and information. Much of these test were all done my independent labs and/or auto manufactures. The reduction of
One topic brought up was extended drain intervals, and he mentioned how have a Magnafilter to catch particles below the full flow oil filters ability is great for extended drain intervals. If a car drives 3k with a normal filter catching say >30 micron, and it is changed every 3 k, well then you only have less than 3k on engine with the wear materials circulating. If you change the oil every 3k, than you are getting most of those out of there with your filter and oil change, where as running say 10k on your oil, you are putting your engine through three times the running time with these wear materials circulating and causing more wear in the engine. By adding the Magnafilter, you are reducing that material that is circulating in the engine over those longer drains. Sounds like it makes sense to me.

The Magnefine's also show great results. I also found that the difference between the Magnefine Transmission & Power steering filters is the bypass valve setting. The power steering filters have a higher bypass setting allowing the higher pressure power steering fluid to maintain filtration where as the trans version might go into bypass when it doesn't need to be if installed in a power steering system.

I do have the Magnefine power steering filter currently installed on one of my vehicles, and the Magnefine transmission filter on another vehicle, as well as one that is installed on the power steering of my boat. I may switch that one out with a specific power steering version. Unfortunately, the Magnafilter OD is a little to large to fit on my baby (my summer vehicle) because of the way my OEM filter is setup. There is probably about 3/8 between the filter and the oil pan. However, I did install one on the Kia Spectra to test out. I should have taken a before oil sample for analysis but it slipped my mine. I still have close to 3k remaining on this interval (installed the Magnafilter about 3k into it) and I will send a sample for testing. It also makes sense that it doesn't matter if you install the product in along with your oil change, or add it to the system at any time because it will still be doing it's job to collect ferrous material and trap it.

Anyway, just wanted to say that their rep was very knowledgeable, and he brought a full book of both 3rd party, in-house, and OEM testing results with no snake oil or undocumented claims.

I'd have to say that these guys seem to be very involved, and to make a high quality product.

Originally Posted By: daman
Hmm so there's two one for power steering and one for trans? never knew that..

Nor I.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A p/s filter sounds like a good idea for someone that keeps cars a long time.

OR there a BITOG'er

Right witch would make since,thanks..

NAPA carries these so if others don't know you can get them there.

These are good ideas but myself I'd feel better with more then just a standard worm type screw clamp holing the hoses on,a line threaded female hole(like a GM fuel filter)into this filter would be more safer install.

trans lines get hot.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248

Sure is... As I said, they contain the same filter element and magnetic structure, but the bypass valve settings are different.

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: daman
These are good ideas but myself I'd feel better with more then just a standard worm type screw clamp holing the hoses on,a line threaded female hole(like a GM fuel filter)into this filter would be more safer install.

trans lines get hot.

Many transmission hoses are normal worm gears from the factory. There really should not be any problem. Same goes for power steering. Most if not all return lines are a simple spring clamp holding them on. If you are really concerned you can always use fuel injection clamps.

I used spring clamps on the one installed on my Honda A/T.

The problem I have run into using Magnefines on A/Ts are the filter itself leaking where it screws together. I have observed seeping from 3 separate filters. Even after tightening the filter up with 2 pipe wrenches doesn't resolve the leaking/seeping completely.

My opinion is they need to scrap the screw on assembly and go with a completely sealed unit. We can cut them open if we want to look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back