Lucas fuel treatment - diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filled up today and added a 5.25 oz bottle of Lucas fuel treatment.

As soon as the "new" fuel hit the engine I could hear a change in tone. Sure seems to idle quieter and smoother. Similar to when you add 2-cycle oil. Performance seems to have improved some, though I can't be sure.

Same experience with my car, whether I add MMO or Seafoam. I'm thinking it's something to do with the added lubricity....

I think it's something to do simply with the "new fuel" added to the tank.

Every 10 tankfuls of fuel, I'll take my fuel tank to near empty - figure, 14 gallon tank, and through trial and error of pumping gas, I've sort of figured out the "breaking point" of "empty" based on where my needle is.

Also replace the fuel filter every 10k.....sure, probably over-kill, but eh, it's good insurance I say
smile.gif

P.S. anyone noticed the abundance of "Ethanol Treatments" popping up all over? lol. My local WM has a huge display with "Sta-Bil" Start! additive, which is geared towards small engines (mowers, blowers, etc....) since one bottle treats I believe 1 1/2 gallons of fuel or somesuch.....and on that same shelf next to it, they also have a "goldish color" Sta-bil product, that notates "Ethanol Treatment" on the bottle, I'd say probably a 12 oz. bottle, states it treats 30 gallons of fuel, to "negate" the ethanol effects.

Seems to be flying off the shelves....

My bud works at WM, and he says another big one is "StarTron" - I never heard of it, found 1 thread here about it, seems to be geared towards Marine use....we all know marine engines do not like ethanol.....but yea, they got that too at my WM, though it's hidden over in Sporting Goods with the marine accessories.....he says people are buying that up too...

P.S. save that 5.25 oz bottle
smile.gif
Makes for a good MMO "refill bottle" especially if you don't have a large fuel tank, i.e. for my 14 gallon tank it works great, I normally fill up 12 gallons or so (like i said, i don't take the tank completely dry) and I think the 5.25 oz. makes for a good MMO concentration
smile.gif

Last edited:
Oh I plan on keeping that bottle. I keep the seafoam and other 12 oz screw-on cap additive containers too.

Is that stuff ULSD compliant? If so I'm heading out for a bottle today to try in my CR TDI.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Is that stuff ULSD compliant? If so I'm heading out for a bottle today to try in my CR TDI.

I don't see it being listed as ULSD complaint, just LSD.

I don't worry about the ULSD/LSD comparison. You're not filling up your engine on the additive. You're just adding a few ounces to an entire tank of fuel. You probably only increase the sulfur count up a point or 2.

Biodiesel is also a great diesel additive.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

As soon as the "new" fuel hit the engine I could hear a change in tone. Sure seems to idle quieter and smoother. Similar to when you add 2-cycle oil. Performance seems to have improved some, though I can't be sure.

I had a similar experience with Lucas. It *seems* to smooth out the engine better than MMO and about the same as TCW3. For my money though, I still think Redline DFC has provided the most noticable results.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug

I had a similar experience with Lucas. It *seems* to smooth out the engine better than MMO and about the same as TCW3. For my money though, I still think Redline DFC has provided the most noticable results.

I haven't used 85+/DFC in a while (over 2 years probably), I should put some in next time.

Another note, about this Lucas fuel treatment. After dipping back down to the mid 20s to low 40s for temps, I can tell ya this stuff does nothing for cold starts like a cetane booster does.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug

That makes sense, the Red Line product is a dedicated diesel fuel treatment. I think it is a good product, but finding it for a good price is tough in my area. My compact tractor has a 3-cyl. diesel that is very cold blooded. I notice a marked improvement in cold starting if I use a fuel treatment with a cetane booster.

ive used it a few times in gas engines, and i sware (probably in my head) that my mpgs decrease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back