Front differentail seal leak in 1999 Chevy Blazer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with a leaking differential. Its a '99 Chevy Blazer 4wd. I fill it up to the bottom of the fill plug hole. It will leak over time, down to a certain level. There is still oil in there, but no leak. Doesnt make any noise, or whine, and seems to run ok. Could I be over-filling it? The thing is, I dont want to dump a load of money in this thing. Its basically an ol beater, that still runs good and the 4wd works fine. I was quoted a repar bill of $500+. Any suggestions? A buddy of mine told me to dump in some tranny stop leak but, Im a little reluctant. Is there a "stop-leak" that would be ok to try? Whats your take, guys?

stop leak won't do anything.....is it a pinion(u joint at the diff) or axle seal(right behind the inner cv joints) leaking?.....you really have two optoins: keep topping it up and live with it, or drop the cash to fix it.. make sure it doesn't run dry because the spider and and side gears are always moving in your front diff even in 2wd

Im not real sure where its coming from. When I fill it, after I drive it awhile(2 wheel drive), there is a pretty good puddle after I park it. I looked underneath, and there is oil sprayed all over the underside. So I dont know if its spraying out, or leaking on someting turning that causes it to go everywhere.
I topped it off today, then jacked it up, took both front wheels off, and power-washed the [censored] out of things. Then went and drove it around for about a half hour, then parked it. Going to crawl under it tomorrow, and see if I cant get a better idea where its coming from.
Funny thing is, it will get down to where its not leaking and everything seems ok. I have a hard time believing that Im over-filling it, but it could be.

check to see if the vent is plugged......you're not over filling and it sounds like it's might be being pushed out

yeah, had to do both on the tahoe......gm ifs front diffs always have axle seal leaks, even changing the seal is kind of a band aid because it will leak again in 30k

Ok. I crawled under my Blazer and this is waht I found. It looks like it is coming from the axle seal? on the passenger side. I took a picture of it, I just cant figure out how to post it on here. How hard is this to fix?

If you or the shop removes the diffy, I would highly recommend you replace both the drive pinion seal AND the axle seal.

You might be able to replace the seals without removing the unit, but I haven't checked the Haynes manual.

Im thinking about tearing into the front diffy. Any special tools I need, or tips and precautions I should take? This isnt a "necessary" vehicle to drive, so if it sits in my shop for a day or two, that would be ok. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back