Strange things people do to thier cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking up dinner last night, I saw a late 90's early 2000's Mustang GT. The owner added a 5.0 badge, an SVT badge, and a Boss sticker. I've never understood the desire to make your car into something it's not. If a person wants to decorate a car to their taste, that's fine, but why pretend to be something else. I've seen other cars at car shows that were labeled as clones. The owner spent a lot of money restoring the car. Why not restore it to look original?

My brother sent me a picture he took with his cell phone where a Chrysler minivan had put a BMW badge on the rear hatch between the license plate and the rear window. It looked ridiculous.

You can't be sure the owner/driver isn't doing something in an ironic context.

Sure, 99% of them are poseurs, but the remaining 1% are trolls trying to rile you up. (And the most riled are those who know a certain car and how it was optioned from the factory-- and how the specimen they're staring at is an offense against the parts book.) Probably the best example is that Rolls Royce fake grill kit you could stick on a VW bug.

Cars aren't religion, though some (mis)treat them as such. There's no heresy, but some feel it gets close.

Hot rod magazine featured someone who stuffed a Japanese turbo inline 6 in a 1969 camaro. Forget if it was Toyota or Nissan but it was pretty one-off. Some liked it, some didn't.

I was going to say using silicone to glue the tail lights and head lights in since they broke the hardware. But I guess that's a different thread.

Sitting home on a Saturday afternoon chatting about motor oil with people I haven't met doesn't hold up to scrutiny either; I chalk this up to "a person's hobby." Everyone's got one that others don't understand.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that 99% of the people that put Type R on their Honda's know nothing about true performance. But then again everyone is after a different thing with their cars. 99% of the people do not know how, or want to spend, to get that performance. So the next best thing is to make it look fast. After all, 99% of the people don't really care what performance is all about. As long as it is loud and has cool looking wheels, and a little carbon fiber reinforced plastic and fiberglass here and there...yeah. haha

But it is silly. The next step up is "OHHHH PUT A TURBO ON IT!!!!" haha. And then people go about slapping on a huge turbo or supercharger on it without even thinking about the volumetric efficiency of their engines, and don't realize that a 1.6-1.8 L 4-cylinder engine optimized for fuel efficiency...cannot even spin it up to make it driveable.

Whatever haha. People and their cars. Beats me!

There's enough of that around me. Like the minivan that had the sliding door sealed with Great Stuff to mask the 3" gap where it had clearly slid into a ditch.

Or the early 00's Mustang I saw today with Altezza taillights and an SVT sticker on it. Of course it had the loud exhaust.

Everybody has their own take on a car. If it makes them happy and is legal, then more power to them...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Sitting home on a Saturday afternoon chatting about motor oil with people I haven't met doesn't hold up to scrutiny either; I chalk this up to "a person's hobby." Everyone's got one that others don't understand.

And there it is right there. That is why when I "hang out" at a place like this I don't care about spelling or grammar, because I have to all day. This forum thing is a "hobby"

Yesterday I saw an older 3 series BMW with M badges stuck all over it with rear tires so big that they were sticking out 2 inches on each side of the fender. Plus the car appeared to be lifted in the rear end.

I'm guilty. I had a 1970 ElCamino back in the 80's. It was pretty much like every other ElCamino around with it's 350/350 combo and "350" badges on the fenders.

I stumbled across some "454" badges in Pic-A-Part. I removed the 350 badges and put the 454 ones on it. That got me lots of double takes at cruise night as long as I kept the hood shut.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Yesterday I saw an older 3 series BMW with M badges stuck all over it with rear tires so big that they were sticking out 2 inches on each side of the fender. Plus the car appeared to be lifted in the rear end.

Oh yeah, the M-badge.
I have a client with a 323ci (the BMW one, not the Mazda) He has M-wheels on it which are quite tasteful. Really compliments the car. But then he has an M badge on it. C'mon man! I can look at the tach and automatic gear selector and I know it's not an M3.
"I beat a ZO6 man!"
Sure you did.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
It is unfortunate that 99% of the people that put Type R on their Honda's know nothing about true performance. But then again everyone is after a different thing with their cars. 99% of the people do not know how, or want to spend, to get that performance. So the next best thing is to make it look fast. After all, 99% of the people don't really care what performance is all about. As long as it is loud and has cool looking wheels, and a little carbon fiber reinforced plastic and fiberglass here and there...yeah. haha

Let's not forget to stretch some 195 all season tires across an 8" wide wheel and cranking out 20° negative camber so he can, "haz moar lowerez..."
DSC00727.jpg
33.gif

I am not a fan of clones/fake makeovers. However I have no issue with making your ride into a custom one of that suits your taste and that is similar to limited editions and special editions. Just no outright fakes. I usually dress up my vehicles. I don't like stock and I don't like to fake/clone a factory special edition either. So, you have to get creative.

I did that with my current 2008 Dodge Ram. Dodge has done some muscle car tribute special edition trucks over the years. IMO they are all kind of cool but I was never in a position to buy one new( almost bought a 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona but opted out at the last minute )and I won't buy used so I will never have one. I can go along with their concept of tributes to legendary MOPAR muscle cars however and do my own and not be a faker/cloner/poser IMO.

Being a HUGE muscle car and MOPAR guy I like these tributes/concepts they came up with. They did a...

Rumble Bee( tribute to the Super Bee ):
rumblebee.jpg

Daytona( tribute to the 1969 winged Daytona muscle car ):
daytona.jpg

HEMI Sport( no specific model just a muscle car like package ):
hemisport.jpg

GTX( tribute to the GTX muscle cars done by LA West not Dodge ):
gtx.jpg

I like that whole muscle car inspired/tribute idea as said so all of these appeal to me although I get it that it won't to everyone. As someone who always needed a truck and not having the financial ability to have a muscle car on the side I like combining the two into one. I always liked the idea of the Rumble Bee so I used it to create my own tribute. I did a Ram Runner in tribute to my favorite muscle car of all times; the Plymouth Road Runner.

I came up with my own bed stripe that is like the Rumble Bee but clearly not the same. I incorporated the Road Runner/Superbird( 1970 winged muscle car cousin to the 1969 Daytona )logo. I did a custom tailgate badge. Replaced the emblems on the doors. Used a hood scoop that is similar to the Rumble Bee and HEMI Sport but still different. Used some HHEMI emblems from another dodge vehicle that JUST say hemi( on the scoop ).Etc... It came out good, it makes my truck different and unique, yet I have had many tell me it looks factory. I NEVER tell anyone it is a true factory vehicle. Always tell people it is a one of custom design by me.

My issues are basically trying to pass a fake/clone off as real or making soemthing up as I did and trying to pass it off as real. You see that a lot sadly. Nothing wrong with making your ride your own just be honest about it and don't be a poser. Use your creativity. You also have to accept that some people will not like it and trash you for it. Who cares. If you like it that is all that matters.

This is what I came up with( no comments on the video - it is supposed to be about having some fun with it!
grin.gif
)...

2008 Ram 1500 "Ram Runner"...

Gotta roll my eyes at some of the "Badge Wars" out there.

I'm on the Cobalt SS forum, and those guys will flame away mercifully if someone puts "SS" badges on a base-model Cobalt. In the world of the forum, that would be strictly verboten. The irony being, of course, many/most of the "real" SS owners remove their badges because they say it makes their car "look cleaner". So now there are two opposing camps - one side owns actual factory Cobalt SSs but they've removed their badges, and the other side who bought surplus badges and glued them onto their base-model cars.

I'm in another camp entirely. My Cobalt is the 2.4L SS version, which is neither supercharged or turbocharged. If there is one thing the SC and TC guys can agree on, its that GM never should have put the "SS" badge on the 2.4L. That it somehow takes away the "street cred" of their forced-induction cars. LOL I just find it funny when a bunch of teenagers argue so often and so stridently about GM's use of a badge its used for almost 50 years....

I saw a Mustang with a 5.0 Cobra banner on the windshield, it was in our shop for an oil change. I looked at the motor and it was a V-6! What a retard! I think that one takes the cake.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'm guilty. I had a 1970 ElCamino back in the 80's. It was pretty much like every other ElCamino around with it's 350/350 combo and "350" badges on the fenders.

I stumbled across some "454" badges in Pic-A-Part. I removed the 350 badges and put the 454 ones on it. That got me lots of double takes at cruise night as long as I kept the hood shut.

I went the other direction when I had my 66 Chevelle back in the early seventies. It was a 327 which was modified to hold its own against the milder big blocks, but I put six cylinder badges on it. People knew it obviously was not a six, but they didn't know what it was and I usually didn't say.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Oh yeah, the M-badge.
I have a client with a 323ci (the BMW one, not the Mazda) He has M-wheels on it which are quite tasteful. Really compliments the car. But then he has an M badge on it. C'mon man! I can look at the tach and automatic gear selector and I know it's not an M3.
"I beat a ZO6 man!"
Sure you did.

Well maybe he did, but I wonder if the Z-06 driver realized there was a race...

Anyone who buys anything out of Germany (whether M or AMG or not) with the intention of successfully stoplight racing is facing an uphill battle. If all you're interested in is quarter mile times don't shop in Europe.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Oh yeah, the M-badge.
"I beat a ZO6 man!"
Sure you did.

Well maybe he did, but I wonder if the Z-06 driver realized there was a race...

Anyone who buys anything out of Germany (whether M or AMG or not) with the intention of successfully stoplight racing is facing an uphill battle. If all you're interested in is quarter mile times don't shop in Europe.

I used to work with a guy who drove a Lumina. He started telling us that he readily beat Mustangs with it. I asked him if they were 4-cylinder cars. He was not impressed. And argued that they were 5.0's, I asked him if they were parked or knew there was a race taking place? He got upset.

He stopped talking about it however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back