Amsoil ACD for 100 hrs in my 23hp KAW ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I read it here somewhere that this Diesel Oil had been used in small engines for extended drain intervals but can't find the post.
I run approx. 50 hrs a year.

I run ACD in ALL my OPE,very robust oil no VII's great add pack.

Perfect oil for the job i run it in my craftsman with a P1 @ 150hrs.

Awesome. 4 qts. of the 4-stroke oil is a couple dollars less expensive but if theres a chance I may benefit from ACD I'd like to try it. I guess there's not much sense in doing an analysis on 2 qts' is there ?

Is this the engine you have (or very similar):

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/small_engine_model.cfm?product_id_number=863&type=Vertical

Seeing that it has a spin-on filter, you should be good to stretch out the oil interval using a high-quality synthetic.

Without a filter, I would not do so. But then again, at 50 hours per year, I think you're good either way. The ACD is a HDEO that is also rated for SL so it's not a risky choice.

Given that you are in Tennessee, I think a mineral 15W-40 or 10W-30 HDEO would be fine for 50 hours with the only downside a bit more hesitation at start-up.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
Awesome. 4 qts. of the 4-stroke oil is a couple dollars less expensive but if theres a chance I may benefit from ACD I'd like to try it. I guess there's not much sense in doing an analysis on 2 qts' is there ?

No i would not UOA it,ACD is a fine oil high TBN for extended drains, run a quality filter and do 100hrs on that mix easily.

like i said i do 150hrs 2+ years on my 18.5hp Intek and the oil looks like new yet thinking of stretching it to 200.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Is this the engine you have (or very similar):

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/small_engine_model.cfm?product_id_number=863&type=Vertical

Seeing that it has a spin-on filter, you should be good to stretch out the oil interval using a high-quality synthetic.

Without a filter, I would not do so. But then again, at 50 hours per year, I think you're good either way. The ACD is a HDEO that is also rated for SL so it's not a risky choice.

Given that you are in Tennessee, I think a mineral 15W-40 or 10W-30 HDEO would be fine for 50 hours with the only downside a bit more hesitation at start-up.

That's the motor, but it's been changed to 25hp. Funny you say 15-40 or 10-30 HDEO. I was wondering since it was suggested to use a diesel oil could I use this gallon of 5w-40 DEO I have left over from when I ran Amsoil in my truck. https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/deo.aspx
It's just not SL rated so I was a bit afraid to use it.
As far as running a quality filter I have enough Amsoil EA09 filters to last me 6 years changing the oil every other year.

Last edited:
Changing a EAO every other year would be a total wast. The DEO would also be a fine fine choice it's SM approved.

I don't know that any of us that run HDEO's in our small air cooled engines do so to extend the oil change interval. We do so to offer better protection to our engines.

If you ran your equipment in extreme conditions or had to extend the drain interval, a HDEO would handle this better than a typical passenger car 10w30.

What is the OEM spec for oil change intervals on the Kawasaki V-twin? It's probably 100hrs?

Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't know that any of us that run HDEO's in our small air cooled engines do so to extend the oil change interval.

I do,,go with a quality HDEO synthetic and filter and it's totally doable mine recommends 50hrs W/O filter change and 100 with filter change i do 150 and engine runs as good as it did from day one. Compression and leak down well with in specs from original.

air filter just as important always new once a year there.

I am using the AMSOIL HDD 5W-30 Series 3000 in my 27hp Kawasaki V2 engine in my JD X728SE and the EAO09 (now EA15K09).

It calls for a 5W-30 in my JD and its just used to blow snow. With the low hrs I put on (about 20 a year) I don't think I will ever change oil or filter again.

So I need to run that filter for longer ? 50 hrs is the stated OCI. When I bought the extended engine warranty I think it was 50 w/ filter. Since it would be 3 years for me to get 150hrs I think I would still change it @ 2 yr/ 100 hrs. I also change the air filter every 100 hrs/ 2 yrs.
This place always saves me some much needed coin. Just donated what I saved by using the DEO to BITOG :)

Originally Posted By: JD4440
So I need to run that filter for longer ? 50 hrs is the stated OCI. When I bought the extended engine warranty I think it was 50 w/ filter. Since it would be 3 years for me to get 150hrs I think I would still change it @ 2 yr/ 100 hrs. I also change the air filter every 100 hrs/ 2 yrs.
This place always saves me some much needed coin. Just donated what I saved by using the DEO to BITOG :)

The thing is...that EAO filter is MORE then capable of 50 lousy hrs,that filter could probably go 3-500!.

but you stated your under warranty? so you'll have to stick to recommended intervals?? thus using a cheaper oil filter would be more warrant.

When I change it this time the warranty will be over. The conditions of the warranty were use Hustler oil and change the filter at the same time. the EAO wasnt too much more than their filters IIRC. I'll have to change it this time due to changing oil grades but I think the next one may be in for an extended stay.

Ok well then your good then if going out of warranty, run that mix for 1-150 hrs 1+years and don't look back,keep air filters new once a year.

My apologies for taking this slightly off topic. I have the Kawasaki 23HP on my workplace Exmark mower and have been happy running Rotella 30w in it for the past 3 years. Kawasaki MFG. "suggests" 30w as the preferred weight.

Since Shell recently took the gasoline rating off Rotella 30w, I decided to try something new for fun. I just installed the new Exmark branded synthetic 30/10w30 oil for a one year trial. My annual hours are only 80 - 100 and I prefer an annual OCI.

This oil is made/blended/or bottled by a small Minnesota Company called Lubrication Technologies and it's specs. are similar to the ACD. It is rated CI/SL. I will start a new thread when I determine how it performed.

It is BLUE!!!.....kind of gimmicky, if you ask me. With my workplace discount, it was $6/qt. This is my FIRST synthetic use ever in an engine. Virginity lost at 55! If you knew my personality, this is a HUGE leap of faith for me.
img1077z.jpg

It retails around $6 per quart. I bought it at our JD dealer, who is also an Exmark dealer. It just came out last year. Like I said, I'm trying it out for fun.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It retails around $6 per quart. I bought it at our JD dealer, who is also an Exmark dealer. It just came out last year. Like I said, I'm trying it out for fun.

Three bucks for the oil and another three for the dye.

Please let us know what colour it is when you drain it.

Originally Posted By: daman
Interesting...UOA???

It's tough to justify a UOA that costs about double the value of the oil. But it is tempting, just for the educational part.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Three bucks for the oil and another three for the dye. Please let us know what colour it is when you drain it.

Couldn't agree more. But, I feel the same about the name brand dinos. $1.50 for the oil and another $2 to support tv commercials and NASCAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back