5w30 vs 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the oils differ that much? Wife's FJ crusier's maint light can on and needs an oil change. Walmart has 12 quarts on clearance of 10w30 valoline synthetic for $2.50 a quart. the oil must years old by the looks of the some what yellowing of the plastic, but its still SM.

The oil is fine, assuming that the lids are sealed and tight. If kept in normal storage, oil will last for a long time. Moisture is the enemy, but as long as those caps are on tight, I would be confident in using it.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
The oil is fine, assuming that the lids are sealed and tight. If kept in normal storage, oil will last for a long time. Moisture is the enemy, but as long as those caps are on tight, I would be confident in using it.

agreed, moisture is the enemy, but in a cliamte controlled store, id say moisture is minimal at best

You'll be fine!

I've got some 2-3 year ol stash of Amsoil ASL I'm gonna use up this Spring,never been opened,still in the original box it was shipped in!

I vaguely remember being told that Mobil1 Oil had a shelf life of roughly 10 years. So if that's the case, I imagine most synthetic has a similar shelf life...

i store my oil in a storage building in back of my house year round it is -20 in winter an 100 plus sitting there in summer.i use it never hurt anything and the oil looks good.

10W-30 is still a thin oil in my book.
coffee2.gif

Bullet,
10W30 in Valvoline Synthetic for $2.50/qt? Your FJ is ready for an OCI and the outside temps are on their way up?...Oh yeah, jump all over that! Buy up the shelf for the future OCI's

Originally Posted By: momomeister
I vaguely remember being told that Mobil1 Oil had a shelf life of roughly 10 years. So if that's the case, I imagine most synthetic has a similar shelf life...

Mobil's warranty for the new "Special" and "Super" lines states oil must be 5 years old or newer at time of oil change.

It's those dang Cosmic Rays..... they will degrade many things, in time. They will even erase floppy disks, in just a few years.

My owners manual says that I should be using 5w30 oil. Heck, I drink beer heavier than that!!!
Here in FL where it gets pretty HOT in the summer, I personally feel like that's just TOO LIGHT for my SX4 Crossover. So, I normally use a heavier weight oil.

I'm wondering though, if a heavy grade oil, will actually lessen my gas mileage?

dasvidaniya

Shadow
smile.gif

In FL, NOLA, or SE TX, 5-30 = 10-30, for all intents and purposes. There is a slight advantage to 10-30 in our subtropical climate, since there is less viscosity spread, so I use that.

I decided to try and switch over to 10w30 in hopes of it lessening oil consumption, but since then I keep finding 5w30 on sale so I keep putting it off.

I wonder if synthetic has a superior shelf life to conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back