Oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Cobra with built stroker, atermarket cams, stock cylinder heads, and an aftermarket twin screw supercharger. The car is tuned for both pump gas and e85. It produces 700rwhp on e85@20psi and 618rwhp on 93 octane pump fuel at 17psi. I'm planning on turning up the boost on e85 or race gas to 25-26psi. At that boost level it will undoubtedly be approaching 800whp. Currently I have a K&N oil filter but regurlarly run M1 filters as well. I have M1 5w20 synthetic in the car now. I'm not sure it is the correct oil for my application. I used to run RP but I didn't notice any benefits over the M1 since I change the oil at 3k no matter what. I drive the car in the Texas heat everyday pretty much. The drives typically are from 10-45 minutes around the metroplex; sometimes in stop and go traffic. I drive it pretty hard. Do race oils provide better protection for as many miles as the standard M1 synthetic? I've been contemplating trying Reline or Amsoil but before I make a decision I'd like to read your inputs.

Last edited:
K&N and M1 filters are nearly identical in production besides the nut on the K&N, but with that kind of power, you might as well protect the investment and buy the best oil too for peace of mind. But you are just fine with M1 oil, but I would recommend some Royal Purple, or Amsoil for the peace of mind part.

What oil does Ford run on their factory supercharged vehicles like the GT or GT500? Start there.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
What oil does Ford run on their factory supercharged vehicles like the GT or GT500? Start there.

5w50
grin.gif

03/04 Cobras are factory supercharged and come with 5w20 synthetic in them. The GT and GT500 come with 5w50 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back