Valvoline has updated their site, and DB is Dexos1

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOACK is probably one of the biggest clues of quality of base-stock. If there was one thing to know about an oil (as long as it met viscosity grade) it is NOACK volitility. 7% is getting into some high quality territory.

This flies in the face of Valvoline's announcement a couple of weeks ago that they wouldn't be paying for dexos approval. I think what the table from the website means is that the oil meets the dexos specifications, but the bottle will not have the dexos stamp.

Wow, that's a pretty huge drop in moly for Maxlife. So what other oil has good moly numbers now? PYB?

A bit of advice: if for any reason you have to see a heart doctor and it goes like this thread leave asap this is not what you want in dealing with a serious matter.Motor oil, wasting time, etc, fine but serious things flee when it goes like this. I really believe they need to give urine tests to the people who work for these oil companies.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
All the data sheets on the website are the old ones; where did you get the new ones?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
This flies in the face of Valvoline's announcement a couple of weeks ago that they wouldn't be paying for dexos approval. I think what the table from the website means is that the oil meets the dexos specifications, but the bottle will not have the dexos stamp.

Bingo.... The key words in the spec sheet are "Approvals/Performance Level". As in it meets the Performance Level.

Still very good to know a blend now meets the standard instead of syn only. Makes the new AAP monthly oil special more interesting since DuraBlend is one of them. Hopefully AAP is not just closing out the old SM.

Not closing out using the old stock. DB does not blow out the door. Will be quite some time before you see SN got this from a manager today.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: smithph
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Bingo.... The key words in the spec sheet are "Approvals/Performance Level". As in it meets the Performance Level.

Still very good to know a blend now meets the standard instead of syn only. Makes the new AAP monthly oil special more interesting since DuraBlend is one of them. Hopefully AAP is not just closing out the old SM.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
New MAXLIFE has half the MOLY!!!!! why buy it now?

Does any oil meet the moly contents of maxlife!?

Don't buy the new SN Maxlife HM Synthetic Blend. Look for closeout specials on the SM Maxlife HM synthetic Blend and load up.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
If you go to the Valvoline site, they have uopdated all their PDF's to reflect the specs for their new API SN/GF-5 oils.

Two changes that I thought were very interesting:

- Valvoline Durablend 5W-30 is Dexos-1 approved for GM vehicles. Interesting that an oil that isn't seen very much gets this approval. Also, most Dex-1 oils are fjull-syns; interesting to see a choice that ISN'T;

- Valvoline Maxlife blend has dropped it's moly content BIG TIME - down from 300ppm to 140 ppm, by the PDS. Lots of folks on here love it b/c of it's moly content, now that is being 'watered down'...

Actually, GM's Dexos oil is not a full synthetic, only 40%.

If you go to the Valvoline site, they have uopdated all their PDF's to reflect the specs for their new API SN/GF-5 oils.

- Valvoline Durablend 5W-30 is Dexos-1 approved for GM vehicles. Interesting that an oil that isn't seen very much gets this approval. Also, most Dex-1 oils are fjull-syns; interesting to see a choice that ISN'T;

Does it "meet" dexos cert, or is it dexos "certified". Big difference.

Because it's still a great oil? Because moly isn't everything?

Quote:
Does it "meet" dexos cert, or is it dexos "certified". Big difference.

Well, as you can see from a prior post, Dexos 1 is listed under Approvals and Performance Specifications, so my feeling is that they are saying that it "meets Dexos 1 requirements", which is what they are also saying with the other specifications that are listed,such as GM4718. All oils I have seen that went through the Certification process show the green Dexos logo on their web site. ( Yet to see that logo on the bottle, but that is another story)

Originally Posted By: glum

Thank you.

It's funny you mentioned that. I just picked up some Mobil 1 SN Gf-5 and it had the official dexos logo on the front of the bottle. First one that I've seen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Thank you.

Thank you +1. You're engine will never know the difference.

Originally Posted By: otis24

- Valvoline Maxlife blend has dropped it's moly content BIG TIME - down from 300ppm to 140 ppm, by the PDS. Lots of folks on here love it b/c of it's moly content, now that is being 'watered down'...

Actually, GM's Dexos oil is not a full synthetic, only 40%.

+1

Run Mobil 1 high mileage oil instead. It has 900 or 1000 ppm of antiwear additive in it. 5qt jug at Walmart for $25....and it's a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Thank you.

Thank you +1. You're engine will never know the difference.
Your engine may not notice it, but your flat tappet cam (if so equipped) most certainly will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back