Motorcycle Engine Guards - Do I Need Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking of getting some for my bike but I kind of think I need them like a hole in the head.

What type of bike?
I had them on a cruiser and I loved them.
Someone dropped my bike once and they did a good job protecting all the painted surfaces and handlebars from damage.
Also made it easier to lift back up, because they acted like a fulcrum pivot point to partially get the bike lifted off the ground.
Also gave me a place to put foot supports for stretching out while cruising, plus the extra chrome made it look cool.
If it's for a sport bike, different application and my feedback may not all apply.

Do you need them? No. But I'd rather invest in a set of 'em up front, than have to deal with the ramifications and costs of what might happen later if I didn't have them...

P.S.: It applies even more when dealing with a sportbike.

Most riders will never have any negatives from owning them.

But, many years ago, I was riding with a guy who had the BIG crash bars on his XS500 (same tank and brakes as my RD350). He touched down the bar in a corner and it unloaded the back tire enough to make him crash.

After that, I thought that the term "crash bars" was appropriate.

On the plus side, he was relatively uninjured and the bike was still completely rideable (busted back turn signal)

Hi,

I dropped my last bike in a parking lot, a 2007 UM V2S 250 sport bike when trying to hold a big dSLR camera and take a pics while trying to move the bike. I could NOT pick that thing up, or wasn't familiar with how to pick it up from laying on it's side. Some woman stopped and helped me. Boy, did that ever make me feel like a wimp, lol.

My bike is a 2003 Kawasaki ZR 7S :

zr7s1.jpg

Spazdog's example makes an excellent point. The best option is one that provides the necessary protection and nothing more.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Most riders will never have any negatives from owning them.

But, many years ago, I was riding with a guy who had the BIG crash bars on his XS500 (same tank and brakes as my RD350). He touched down the bar in a corner and it unloaded the back tire enough to make him crash.

After that, I thought that the term "crash bars" was appropriate.

On the plus side, he was relatively uninjured and the bike was still completely rideable (busted back turn signal)

I know the crash bars you're talking about. They look way too big for any bikes I've seen them on. The ones I'll get if I get them are black and only stick out about 6 or 8" from the sides of the motor. I think they're about $40 or so per set.

I'd look into frame and bar sliders. That's probably your best route, and they don't typically stand out visually.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Of course you don't need them. Just put them on when you know for a fact, you'll be dropping the bike.,,

I'm not planning on it anytime soon, so maybe I'll hold off on the crash bars for now.
wink.gif
I never try to move a bike when trying to hold a $500 dSLR camera.
blush.gif

If you get some make sure they are at least 3 point mounting. On my old 78 KZ650 I had some 2 point mount and took a spill once and they folded right in like they weren't there so I got no protection, but the worst part was they folded right in and knocked off an oil gallery plug, so when I attempted to ride, all the oil was pumped onto the road and ran the engine out of oil.

I was going to order frame sliders until several track racers posted what happens to frame sliders in a crash. They tend to not deform and cause the weakest part to snap. That means the threaded portion snaps, but not before bending the frame or breaking the engine block.

I just put a new engine guard on my cruiser. It really adds to it. More CHROME!! But, that's a cruiser. I know alot of people with them and no complaints from them. Helps aid in picking your bike up if it tips over. Saves some paint and maybe some dents. Plus on a bike like mine you can also add extra footpegs to the guards to really strecth out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back