Good oil filter brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good oil filter brands? I know Fram has earned a poor reputation for automotive oil filters. What about for motorcycles? I believe many Ducati models use the same oil filter design - what brands are kosher besides OEM? I ran the Fram parts catalog cross reference and it said some Harley Davidsons used the same filters as Ducati. Is there any merit to running OEM, or is Wix or another OTC brand just as good?

The list of good filters is a lot longer than the bad list. Not all Frams are bad- the Extended Guard is a very well-built filter. If you stick with the Fram XG, Wix, Puorlator, and some of the multitude of brands built by Champion Labs, you should do fine.

Use the search tool and you'll find this topic just beaten to death all the time, although not always specifically for motorcycle filters.

I have a Fram CH6012 cycle oil filter I was planning to install in my bike soon. I have a Wix 24941 in it now. Some people say Fram cycle oil filters are OK.

Do you think I should get another Wix instead?

I have read some conflicting data on motorcycle filters,maybe someone here can clear it up.Should a person only use motorcycle specific filters?I have read that mobil does not make a motorcycle filters and you should not use their filters.Something to do with flow rating.Is there really any difference between car and motorcycle filters?Seems to me,if it fits,has the proper by-pass setting,and correct anti-drain valve(if necessary) it should work.

Much like motorcycle oil, cycle filters are overpriced.
Cycle filters are often painted black.
There is little, if any, real difference in cycle v. auto filters.
Honda Gold Wings owners have been using auto filters (Honda Accord/Civic) for years with great results.
If it will make you sleep better, check the flow rates and by-pass pressure ratings. If they are close, you are good to go.

I don't think there is a car oil filter available for my bike. It takes a cartridge type oil filter (not a spin-on) that fits inside a housing.

I paid $5 + tax for this Fram CH6012. They used to be $3.49 at Walmart. Looks like a fairly well made oil filter, and yes, I also think they are overpriced, and the price of them is going up, at least it did on this Fram..

I think the Wix 24941 was $6 + tax.

Correct. Many of the spin-on cycle filters have a auto equivalent.
Not aware that any of the cartridge types do though.
You can check Amazon or other internet outlets for a better price.
The local agricultural department store stocks cycle filters, but the price isn't any better than what you listed.
Might try Dennis Kirk, or even J.C. Whitney if you can buy a large enough quantity to make the shipping worth it.

Some (all?) current Purolator m/c oil filters are Chinese.

HiFlo is a brand that my local indie shop has good results with. HiFloFiltro also makes the K&N branded m/c oil filters as well as HiFlo m/c air filters.

The OEM Ducati oil filter is about $10, same price as the K&N. I also noticed the OEM Ducati paper air filter is $30 versus $45 for the K&N.

Fram's cross-reference specifically mentioned the PH6019/PH6074 for my Ducati.

* AMSOil SMF 132/132C
* EMGO 10-26980
* Fram PH6019, PH6074
* K&N KN-153
* NAPA 7013
* WIX 57013

On my Harleys I use Harley filters, but on the other bikes I have used Purolator Pure One, NAPA Gold and ST filters.

I agree with 440Magnum that this has been beaten to death and also with dwendt44 that there is little difference. Purolator list the ML16822 for my bike. If you look at it and also the L10241 on their web site, they have exactly the same threads, relief valve pressure, etc. Purolator says not to use a Pureone on a bike but not a Classic. Their reason is: "If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter." I've been using using a Mobil 1 M1-102 for over 1K miles so far with no problems. I plan on using the L10241 on my next oil change.

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure.

That's kind of funny. My Honda's oil pump is rated at 80+ lbs of pressure, more than my GM Ecotec engine in my car. I'll stick to using PureOne's in my Honda cycle.

i've cross-referenced the factory oil filters from my dad and brothers bike, my bike and my 4wheeler to a Purolator L14612 automotive filter.

costs 1/3 as much as the cycle filter and is made better.

smile.gif

The Fram CH 6012 I just put in my Kawasaki looks very similar to the Wix 24941 I just took out, and I'm willing to bet it'll keep my Kawi engine very happy until next OCI next year. If the Fram looks unusual at that time, I will not use another one, but I'd bet it'll look just fine.

The Fram cycle filters are a notch above the Orange filter many hate.
The cartridge type ones are pretty good construction wise.

For my purposes though, I'll stick with auto filters due to cost.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
36.gif

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Originally Posted By: SJohnson
Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure.

That's kind of funny. My Honda's oil pump is rated at 80+ lbs of pressure, more than my GM Ecotec engine in my car. I'll stick to using PureOne's in my Honda cycle.

I have heard the same thing, but never had a problem myself running one of the bikes on Pure One for 3+ years now. Once a year oil & filter change. Others I know running the same filter have no problems - but I have read about Purolator recommendation about not using it on bikes.

It seems Ducati owners don't have any issues using the K&N oil filter. It's priced the same as the OEM Ducati. I have doubts about using Fram since they can't seem to make a good filter for cars. I once bought a Fram for my Ecotec LNF and the holes weren't even cut right in the center of the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back