Oil for 1991 Sportster??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to buy a 91 sporty 883 with 16K miles on her. I'm confused on the auto/cycle oil debate. I'd like to save a buck, but not at the expense of the engine. Does it have a wet clutch? And what about the other lube for the tranny, a different oil? Also, would like advice on chain change interval as well as cleaner/lube advice. Thanks all!

The engine oil, chain case oil, and transmission oil are all separate.
A good HDEO oil, 15W-40, or auto 20W-50 would work fine.
If that engine is still iron, as opposed to the newer aluminum one, I'd shorten the OCI's though.

NO, no, no on auto oil.

Use a motorcycle grade 20w-50 oil. Call local HD dealer and get the spec's for your bike, buy a shop manual and do it yourself!

I am new to sportsters,so I am not sure how the 1991 would compare to mine.I have a 2004 1200 and am currently using mobil v twin 20w50 in the engine and primary/transmission.On the sportster you have two places for oil.One is the engine the other is shared primary/transmission.The engine oil does not touch the clutch.Because of what I have read on the Internet I will be using valvoline vr1 20w50 in the engine on my next oil change.On sale now for $2.49 a quart at autozone.I am not sure about what to try in the trans yet,maybe Harleys sport trans fluid.Auto zone also has the mobil v twin on sale for $8.50 a quart.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
If that engine is still iron, as opposed to the newer aluminum one, I'd shorten the OCI's though.

The engine oil is separate but the transmission and primary chaincase share the same oil.

I think that 1986 was the first year for the aluminum heads and cylinders.

It does have a wet clutch in the primary chaincase but that is separate from the engine oil.

Depends on what you want to spend.

Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W-50 - Engine: 3K, trans/primary 5K
Amsoil MCV 20W-50 - Engine 5K, trans/primary 10K
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 - Engine 5K, trans/primary 10K
Mobil 1 15W-50 - Engine 4K, trans/primary 8K

Be sure to change the primary/transmission or AT LEAST ANNUALLY. The problem is the intrusion of moisture into the primary/transmission.

Next opinion, please

Yes

Harley recommends their Formula+ lube for the transmissions/primary chaincases. But this lube is in the 40 weight range with virtually no additives and it's about $8.50 a quart. Very similar to automatic transmission fluid, but it's a 40 weight instead of a 20 weight. This means that virtually any 20W-50 will perform as well or better than the Harley recommended lube in this situation.

But - DO NOT use a gear lube for the transmission/primary chaincase. Most all gear lubes are in the GL5 category and are sometimes not kind to yellow metals (brass, bronze, copper). The stator is located on the crank in the primary chaincase and there is more than ancedotal evidence that gear lube may cause premature failure of the stator windings.

Last edited:
Thanks for this reply.I have been curious about the primary/trans fluid.I know amsoil,mobil,and the syn Harley 20w50 is advertised for use,but was unsure of what spec makes it ok.I was looking for anyone running other motor oils in their trans/primary.I was thinking of trying either the same vr1 or a rotella or other hdeo.Would a sae50 be better?

Well the M1 15W-50 is an "auto" oil. Sorta. And the Valvoline VR1 is, as well.

But - you are partially correct - it is generally not the best idea to use a common, ordinary, garden variety "auto" oil in this application.

The oils listed above have shown excellent results, as posted by fellow BITOGer's.

Originally Posted By: Jjones
Thanks for this reply.I have been curious about the primary/trans fluid.I know amsoil,mobil,and the syn Harley 20w50 is advertised for use,but was unsure of what spec makes it ok.I was looking for anyone running other motor oils in their trans/primary.I was thinking of trying either the same vr1 or a rotella or other hdeo.Would a sae50 be better?

Nah. SAE 40 , maybe. But the 20W-50 will work out just fine and provide a little better/faster clutch separation which will make your shifts a bit smoother.

HA! Put some SAE 50 in there. Go out on a 30 degree morning. Put transmission in 1st and pull in the clutch. Now try to start the bike (but have your right hand on the front brake). As soon as you hit that starter button.... it'll take you for a ride.

Don't ask me how I know that......

Funny you should say that.My wife bought me the Sportster for Christmas and it would do that a little.It is a used bike and when I would start it with the clutch pulled it would pulse forward a little.Not enough to move forward but you could feel it.Now it does not do it at all.At Christmas time around here it was not very cold at all,no where near 30.I have about 1400 more miles to go before my next oil change and I am going to use the vr1 in both holes,then after 2000 miles I will send a sample for testing.

The mobil v twin 20w50 seems to be working perfect in both holes,I just want to try something else.

Last edited:
Just one other point to remember.
If you're going to ride in TEXAS...
Then you will be required to use "special" riding gear.
texasmotorcycle.jpg

Originally Posted By: dwendt44

You seem to routinely give false advice on subjects that you apparently know little about.

If you aren't sure, don't reply.

I've read numerous posts about Harley's stating they use 'genuine' Harley oil on all three holes. Granted that Sportsters are different them the 'hogs', but 'experts' like yourself aren't always correct either.
Many Harley owners use Mobil-1 20W-50 will great results; great UOA's, etc.. AND it costs less than the 'cycle oil' that's generally little different than auto oil.

How hard is it to change handle bars? And am I to understand that the same oil goes in crank case as well as tranny? Then why two holes?

A good 20W50 Oil such as Mobil 1 V Twin or Amsoil V Twin will work for all what I used in my 2001 Sporty for over 60,000 Miles of Good Service til I sold it to a friend who still rides daily .. Spectro also makes a Primary and Chaincase Lube That states right on the label Good for all Harley Primary's and Sportster Transmissions ..

ZZYXTubeswSeat001-1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back