Baldwin B6 - w/o Anti-Drainback Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a couple cases of these filters, pretty cheap, from a tire shop that was going out of business. The guy said they would fit my truck, which they would. I looked up on Baldwin's website, and it states these filters DO NOT have an anti-drainback valve. Apparently, most automotive filters do. Would this be a problem for my application? The filter mounts straight up and down, so I don't think the anti-drainback would be an issue. By the way, my truck is a 1993 Silverado, 2wd, 350ci. Any thoughts?

if its on the bottom of the block, up and down, its not a really large issue, its more of a peace of mind thing then. But if its side ways on the block, like my Honda, you need an anti drain back seal.

I believe your 93 is too new and needs adbv. I personally wouldn't use them, not worth it. There is oil held above the filter which would need to be pumped back up there every time the engine starts. The filter sites like wix or baldwin will tell specs needed.

There are a lot of mistakes made in shops with assuming things on engines, and transmissions, without really checking. Like using Ford type F on a vehicle because it is a older Ford, when it isn't old enough for type F.

Originally Posted By: kasedian
By the way, my truck is a 1993 Silverado, 2wd, 350ci. Any thoughts?

As you mentioned, it's vertically mounted, like all Chevy small blocks. I used Wix filters without ADBVs (that's how that filter was made back then) for millions of miles in the 1980s and early 1990s in Chevy small blocks without any problems at all.

If it were me, I'd use them with confidence.

Right no ADBV but should be ok since it's vert. but keep and ear out for dry start ticking.

4x4's are horizontal mount because of the front drive shaft anyway Baldwins are quality filters.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: kasedian
By the way, my truck is a 1993 Silverado, 2wd, 350ci. Any thoughts?

As you mentioned, it's vertically mounted, like all Chevy small blocks. I used Wix filters without ADBVs (that's how that filter was made back then) for millions of miles in the 1980s and early 1990s in Chevy small blocks without any problems at all.

If it were me, I'd use them with confidence.

I must say wrong advice is being given here. I looked up the application under discussion, and they specify adbv. Don't use these with ANY kind of confidence. Listen to the parts books. I know the older don't have etc etc etc. I had a 71 Chev 350 c30, I know all about that. That isn't the whole story necessarily.

It's of no consequence to me one way or other, but I think giving advice on someone else's engine oiling system should be done more cautiously.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

I must say wrong advice is being given here. I looked up the application under discussion, and they specify adbv. Don't use these with ANY kind of confidence. Listen to the parts books. I know the older don't have etc etc etc. I had a 71 Chev 350 c30, I know all about that. That isn't the whole story necessarily.

It's of no consequence to me one way or other, but I think giving advice on someone else's engine oiling system should be done more cautiously.

First off, I said that if it were me, I'd use them with confidence. I fully appreciate that others will disagree with me.

Aside from that, I'd be interested to know if any actual engine changes took place to warrant a change in the filter spec, or if it was done for cosmetic reasons (i.e. a bit of noise) like Ford did in the 1980 (they actually speced non-ADBV filters on vehicles where they were mounted horizontally), or if it was just to keep things consistent across their filter specifications.

I agree we don't know the whole story. However, if I still had a Chev small block, of the OP's vintage or newer or older, I'd use them.

And I did use Wix non-ADBV filters until the mid-1990s (when they began to become much harder to find) on vehicles that went into the hundreds of thousands of miles. No funny noises, no ticking or rattling, no engine seizures, nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back