Replacement water pump quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can get a genuine Mopar for $106 shipped to my door. Double what I was planning on paying but I figured if I want to get another 171k miles out of a pump I might as well pay $100 for a factory piece instead of hopeing to get 40-60k out of a aftermarket.

Thats a lot of scratch.You will get good mileage out of the AC Delco from Rock it may even be the same pump in the box if not it meets OEM specs.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Now I don't know again! LOL

The price difference is less than a tank of gas.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
For the Jeep? The new units are only about 10-15 dollars more than the remanufactured pump. Just buy a new one.

For the LT-1? EEEeeek....yeah. you don't want to scrimp on that and wash out your Optispark. I used to try to sell the genuine Delco unit at O'Reilly but the customers usually bought the reman unit because the new one was about $100 more. (OE or aftermarket) Some worked better than others.

Yep - I only use a NEW Ac Delco pump on the LT-1's. The last one I changed on my Corvette was about $150 new and was only like $30 more than the reman units. That opti is costly when drenched with coolant.

I would hope that since he has a built LT1 in the f body, he's using a higher volume aftermarket pump like an Evans, or at least an Edelbrock (although I know some on here HATE their stuff).
Better yet, a Meziere, Moroso, or Proform, etc. electric pump, and free up a bit more ponies.
grin.gif

Another tip on those engines (albeit a costly one) is to get rid of the Opti altogether, and switch to one of the 3 (or more by now??) different aftermarket LSx-style individual coilpack per cylinder type ignition systems.
Then one does not have to worry about the myriad other problems with the Opti, let alone getting it marianated in Dex Cool.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
For the Jeep? The new units are only about 10-15 dollars more than the remanufactured pump. Just buy a new one.

For the LT-1? EEEeeek....yeah. you don't want to scrimp on that and wash out your Optispark. I used to try to sell the genuine Delco unit at O'Reilly but the customers usually bought the reman unit because the new one was about $100 more. (OE or aftermarket) Some worked better than others.

Yep - I only use a NEW Ac Delco pump on the LT-1's. The last one I changed on my Corvette was about $150 new and was only like $30 more than the reman units. That opti is costly when drenched with coolant.

I would hope that since he has a built LT1 in the f body, he's using a higher volume aftermarket pump like an Evans, or at least an Edelbrock (although I know some on here HATE their stuff).
Better yet, a Meziere, Moroso, or Proform, etc. electric pump, and free up a bit more ponies.
grin.gif

Another tip on those engines (albeit a costly one) is to get rid of the Opti altogether, and switch to one of the 3 (or more by now??) different aftermarket LSx-style individual coilpack per cylinder type ignition systems.
Then one does not have to worry about the myriad other problems with the Opti, let alone getting it marianated in Dex Cool.
wink.gif

Oh lord, opti... she is loooooong gone. Along with the LT1 PCM. I did the LS1 PCM swap along with with LS1 MAF and lid. It really woke up the LT1, night and day difference. I ditched Dex Fool too, shes 100% ethylene glycol. As for the water pump on the LT1, I used a genuine AC Delco factory replacement. My buddy used a $50 eBay knock off on his L99 and it didn't last a year. As for the Jeep I think I'll try the AC Delco, I've had great luck with them in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back