Just bought some Cor-Bon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ran about 500 rounds through my p95, and was carrying Winchester 147grain SXTs and it ran the first magazine fine. Took it out this past weekend, and it acted like the Winchester rounds didn't have umph to run the slide...about every 4 to 6 rounds it would jam. I have been running my own handloaded 125 grains without a single jam, in the same magazines...the only difference is the round.

I just bought 100 rounds of Cor-Bon 115 grain JHP +P. I'm hoping it solves my problem. Anyone have any experience with Cor-Bon...I read a couple opinions that held it in high regards. If it doesn't run correctly, I'll probably just end up reloading my own HPs.

Did I make a decent choice??

It wouldn't cycle the slide far enough to pick up the next round (it did cough the empty out) and it wouldn't lock the slide open at the last round. Like the round didn't have enough pressure to make the gun cycle correctly.

I'd first make sure everything was clean from that first 100 that you put through.
From my experience Rugers eat just about any ammo without a problem.
How long have you had this firearm and about how many rounds have you placed through it?

I've run a few boxes of 115 grain Cor-Bon JHPs through my Glock 19 9mm. I had no issues whatsoever. In fact the only issues I've ever had with ammo in the Glock were with 1990's-era re-loaded target ammo. Come to think of it, I had a few jams in a Ruger P89 with the re-loads, too. No issues with good ammo in either gun.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I'd first make sure everything was clean from that first 100 that you put through.
From my experience Rugers eat just about any ammo without a problem.
How long have you had this firearm and about how many rounds have you placed through it?

The gun was cleaned just prior to running these rounds...I've had it since Christmas, probably 500 rounds. The main issue I have is that it won't run factory SXTs, but it will run my mild handloads without one hiccup.

I've ran probably 100 Winchester FMJ (USA-white box) without issues, around 400 handloads (125 grain RNs, mild loads) without issue, and then around 100 Winchester "LE" 147 grain SXTs (no misfires, but many no-fires).

No fires? As in the firing pin not setting of the primer?
If you are having multible problems , I would send it back to ruger. I have the p90 and p95, no feeding firing or ejection problems. You pay shipping and ruger will go through the gun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
No fires? As in the firing pin not setting of the primer?
If you are having multible problems , I would send it back to ruger. I have the p90 and p95, no feeding firing or ejection problems. You pay shipping and ruger will go through the gun.

No, no-fire as in no round in the chamber.

Its all ammunition, I can run my mild handloads without an issue. The SXTs are the only thing I haven't been able to run consistently.

That is common enough for the Ranger SXT. Wimpy -P round!
But, you might have some drag on the slide/frame. So, clean them up, polish/debur, lube properly, and I'll bet that it'll work fine next time.

You won't have that problem with the Corbon +P. But, inspect your weapon and your spent casings when you're done. The opposite to a wimpy round is a mean one that causes excess wear and tear.

Try to narrow it down.
That is strange you are having an inability to fire.
There have been problems with production runs of firearms before, but I'd be surprised if there was an issue with an older model Ruger.
From my experience Rugers are about as reliable as a baseball bat. If you do your part it works.
Although I could be wrong.

Please keep us informed as to how this turns out.

I will revise my previous statement since it was probably a wrong choice of words...

This P95 will fire almost anything that gets into the chamber...the ONLY thing it wouldn't actually fire is some Israeli Uzi ammunition, which I know has a hardened primer (and this happens with almost every 9mm I've tried this ammo in, so it didn't surprise me this Ruger wouldn't run it.) The key here is the round has to be in the chamber for the P95 to fire it!!

Anything else I've tried fired fine...whether it would cycle the slide and pick up the next round is the issue. As I have noted...it ran white box (dirty) Winchester FMJ and my handloads just fine, its only the SXTs that won't cycle the slide. You can definitely tell the FMJ and my handloads are hotter than the SXTs by quite a bit. But again, my handloads are mild...not even max for a standard Luger load, let alone +P territory.

I'm fairly confident the P95 is fine...I bought it new, and it runs other ammunition fine...just this one type that seems to fight me. Short the Cor-Bon running into problems, I'll handload my own HP loads since I can obviously make them run fine. I've got 100 rounds on the way to run through it...to make sure it runs every time.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
It wouldn't cycle the slide far enough to pick up the next round (it did cough the empty out) and it wouldn't lock the slide open at the last round. Like the round didn't have enough pressure to make the gun cycle correctly.

You may have a spring that is tired. Don't always look at your
ammo as being the cause of malfunctions. May I ask what pistol
that you were using?

Its a new Ruger P95...new as in, bought new December 2010.

If anything, it acts like the spring is too stiff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back