2011 Elantra Oil Filter advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS, first oil change will be soon and looking for Filter advice. It seems like the Hyundai/Kia filter #26300-35503 is good but dealer only item so they run about $7-10 each. The dealer is also 10+ miles away while Walmart and 3 national chain parts stores are 5 minutes. I was thinking of using the a Motorcraft FL810 but not sure if its comparable.

Other Options
Purolator PureOne PL14459
Wix 51334

More Expensive Options
K&N HP-1004
Mobil M1-104

Thanks not many have done oil changes on these cars yet and I'm passing on the free first oil change at the dealer I bought from.

I own/have owned 4 Hyundai vehicles.

Strongly recommend that you stick with OEM filters. Dealer may cut the price if you buy a couple of them.

Don't hurt to ask.

I would use OEM factory only. Find a dealer selling a case at a discount and buy them. Should be under $5 each in bulk though many dealers love to rip us shade-tree guys off on expese items. Im paying over 6 bucks for my wife's subaru filter and a buck for the drain plug crush washer. She never pays me back for doing her OC's ;{

Just curious? What's so special of these OEM Hyundai filters? Who makes them? If they're that great, why wouldn't everyone on here use them? I don't know -- that's why I'm asking.

If it were my vehicle, I wouldn't worry a bit about using a Wix, P1, MC equivalent if they were much cheaper. However, I know not of this "secret Hyundai filter formula".

Most of the folks posting on the ElantraClub prefer the Hyundai OEM filter, especially after cutting open some of the aftermarket replacements.

Visually, the OEM looks good.

When I owned a Hyundai I had no problem using aftermarket filters.
I used Purolator, Wix, AC, ST and even Fram and never had an engine related problem.
I'm getting annoyed with the trend that we MUST use OE stuff. Wasn't that what Magnason-Moss was all about.

Originally Posted By: pbm
When I owned a Hyundai I had no problem using aftermarket filters.
I used Purolator, Wix, AC, ST and even Fram and never had an engine related problem.
I'm getting annoyed with the trend that we MUST use OE stuff. Wasn't that what Magnason-Moss was all about.

IF one was needing warranty repair, aftermarket MAY cause a lot of hassles. Plus OEM filters are held in high regards.
I get them for $5.60ea at the local dealer

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback so far guys I just remembered that a Kia dealer is near work so I will probably drop in one day at lunch. I also checked ebay and can get a 6 pack for about $37 shipped so I guess that's my baseline price.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Just curious? What's so special of these OEM Hyundai filters? Who makes them? If they're that great, why wouldn't everyone on here use them? I don't know -- that's why I'm asking.

If it were my vehicle, I wouldn't worry a bit about using a Wix, P1, MC equivalent if they were much cheaper. However, I know not of this "secret Hyundai filter formula".

Same reason I'm asking, so far I know they are made in Korea for Hyundai/Kia possibly by a Hyundai/Kia owned company. Other than a TSB about noise complaints with some filters and everybody saying to go OEM I can't find much.

I've mainly owned Fords and my family has too so we generally used MC since they are good, cheap, and easy to find.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I used ... Fram and never had an engine related problem.
Hyundai dissallowed the use of Fram on some apps for a period. Why I dont rcall the specifics. My Subaru has been using a fram (oem subaru service part made by honeywell) without issues - not that I'm paying close attention as this is not MY car
smile.gif
My Toyota prefers AC delco or Wix. Happiest on the non-ecore delco with wix a second - and nothing (purolator, fram, clarecore) else fits correctly!

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
im on my second p1 in my 2011 sonata. works perfectly fine.

IMO....P1 is the best mid-tier filter out there .... 'best bang for the buck'....and its made in the USA (something rare these days).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I own/have owned 4 Hyundai vehicles.

Strongly recommend that you stick with OEM filters. Dealer may cut the price if you buy a couple of them.

Don't hurt to ask.
OEM on hyundai is plenty good. Those are some of the better OEMs Ive ever seen.

Originally Posted By: someguy
Hmmm the PureOne PL14459 is $5 at amazon and I have prime so free 2 day shipping no minimum.
I think you found your answer. The Hyundai 14459 is a very solid OEM filter, but not at $7-10. The P1 is also very solid will serve you just as well imo, for ~$5 at (as noted) Amazon or on sale at Kmart.

Lately, I've been building a stash of P1s @ $3/ea using AAP online disco codes. I don't think the quality can be beat at that price. I also try to hit the Napa Gold bi-annual sales -- which usually puts them in the $3-4 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back