What do you run in your snowmobile chain case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changing the chain oil on my 99 Grand Touring 583 for the first time. Looks like factory fill is some type of hypoid oil GL5 or GL4. Has strong sulfer smell. I see no reason to use a hypoid oil in the case as it is a straight gear and chain assembly. No sliding motion as in a differential. Thinking of Redline MTL, or even a SAE 30 Motor oi. I do have Mobil 1 75W90 in stock as well.

Any thoughts?

I always used Mobil 1 75W90 and never had a chain case problem. I ride about 2000 miles per year and change it every spring.

Last edited:
I bought a Yamaha Phazer that was 13 years old with 15,000KM and never had the chain oil changed from the factory. Everything was in great shape inside except for some varnish left by the old chain oil

Last edited:
Found out Ski-Doo uses a thinker oil due to heat transfer of near-by exhaust system. Picked up Redline 80W140 and going to use that. My case was clean inside likely due to the magnet on the dipstick. That often has some fuzz on it. I don't expect to change this oil again during my ownership of this sled.

I also went with Amsoil chaincase lube. I have 2 snowmobiles, about 5 years old & the original oil is in the chain case. These are low mile machines, 900 or so. I plan to remove the chain case cover & clean it out well & then add the new fluid. This may be either a lifetime change, or at least 5 years til next time. It only takes about 8.5 ounces per machine so I thought I may as well use the fluid that's called for. I have heard of guys using all kinds of lubes in the chain case though.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I also went with Amsoil chaincase lube. I have 2 snowmobiles, about 5 years old & the original oil is in the chain case. These are low mile machines, 900 or so. I plan to remove the chain case cover & clean it out well & then add the new fluid. This may be either a lifetime change, or at least 5 years til next time. It only takes about 8.5 ounces per machine so I thought I may as well use the fluid that's called for. I have heard of guys using all kinds of lubes in the chain case though.

To each their own but why would you only change your fluid once every 5 years?
Like you stated, it only takes about 8oz's so it can't be money your trying to save is it?

I have changed my every year on every sled I have ever owned and have never had a problem(using Mobil-1 75-90 syn gear oil)
Does your dip stick have a magnet on it, ever see how much crud is on it after a good ride? That is enough for me to want to change it annually and I am lucky to get 1000 miles or less every year.

O.K., maybe I'll go more often than every 5 years. I bought these machines slightly used, the 2006 had 150 miles on it & the 2005 had 400 miles. Both purchased by me in 2010. Going with the miles & history this was original chain case fluid.

When I did the Ski-doo I removed the chaincase cover and cleaned it well with brake cleaner. Yes there is a magnet on the stick. I do clean the magnet at times. I think it really helps to clean out the last of the fluid & any particles.

The Yamaha had a more difficult to remove cover. With that in mind I drained the fluid then sprayed cleaner though the system(fill hole) to clean out all I could. At the time I was out of brake cleaner so I used up my 'gun scrubber', which is about the same thing.

The amsoil went in nice & clean starting off. Of course I adjusted the chain tension on both. I also did an oil change on the 4 stroke Yamaha, Mobile 1 0-30 synthetic. Toward the end of winter I siphoned my gas out of both & went with 91 octane non-ethanol fuel for storage. For good measure I added some stable.

They will be ready next fall. I charge the Yamaha battery once in a while with my optimate 3 charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back