Mopar filters? Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across some Mopar filters for the LHS at WalMart. They are heavy constructed, at least weight wise. Any informed opinions on their filtering quality and performance? They are jet black colored, with minimal labeling. Thanks.

They are good, but the problem I have is they are roughly $2 more than their Motorcraft counterpart (at Walmart).

For some reason everytime I use a Mopar oil filter it leaks. Not dripping but its wet around the filter. I use a regular Purlator and its fine. So far three for three Mopars leaked or more like seeped on my Dodge.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
For some reason everytime I use a Mopar oil filter it leaks. Not dripping but its wet around the filter. I use a regular Purlator and its fine. So far three for three Mopars leaked or more like seeped on my Dodge.

Wow..i wonder what could be causing that to happen.I use them on the 300C and have never had that happen,interesting.Does your filter mount horozontally or vertically?

Last edited:
I use the MO-899 vertical mount on my 3.5L. It is very sturdy and appears to be a PureOne with a different coating. For 5.25 at WM, you can't best it for OEM quality.

I would like to also add that I have yet to have one leak but I have had numerious o-rings stick so make sure you always check the mating surfaces before you screw the new one on.

This is the one I use on my 09 Grand Cherokee 3.7. Never a problem in the 24,000 I've driven it.
page6-1028-full.jpg

This is the Luber Finer equivalent that I used for one cycle.
page6-1000-full.jpg

Unlike the Purolator made Mopar in the States with thread end bypass, the first picture looks to be a Wix made Mopar filter. Haven't seen one of those before.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Unlike the Purolator made Mopar in the States with thread end bypass, the first picture looks to be a Wix made Mopar filter. Haven't seen one of those before.

Nobody believes me when I say Wix makes the small (75mm) and smaller 65mm) Mopar filters. Maybe they will now. Made in Dillon SC. and Mexico.

Last edited:
The Wix importer here doesn't import their equivalent, so I've never been able to compare them.

And probably won't, as I'll probably move up to the 2011 before the next oil change.

I wouldn't "mind" using a Mopar filter, since I drive a Dodge...but the filter application "pamphlet" they have at my WM only lists like 2000s and newer.....

and no idea which one would work for my application. I tried a cross-reference search using the framcatalog.com site....http://framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH3614

And it gave a long list of Competitor Cross References....
Click to reveal..

Does that list basically mean, any of those listed filters is equivalent to the PH3614 and could be used for my application?

I noticed some of the brands are duplicated, notably the WIX, Mobil, Mopar, and Motorcraft. And obviously, the AC-DELCO....is that list of all filters that are equivalent to that of the PH3614? I got a M3614 on the car now from the "Pennzoil" Quick Lube Station
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back